Microsoft cancels "new" console

Your feeling on cloud means nothing. It will happen. It will be forced down our throats and won't have a choice.
I'm not worried about that. The way games are going I welcome going back to older games. In fact, one could say I'm a pro at it. Considering that most studios don't want to touch single players games with a 10 foot pole, and all multiplayer games are now live services, I'm not worried avoiding this cloud gaming inevitable future. Most likely this will just end up like the Metaverse. Expensive, unwanted, and will likely lose millions of dollars in stock value.

Considering that most studios don't want to touch single players games with a 10 foot pole
This isn't even remotely true. The overwhelming majority of games released in a year are SP. You just have to look a tiny bit past the usual 25 big name titles each year. Coincidentially, the games I'm referring to would work pretty well on a cloud-back service, given their reduced sensitivity to latency.
I think cloud gaming as a first party or "normal" is an eventual future, but, I think it's a fair distance away. I've done a fair bit of gaming via streaming from one local (or local-adjacent) device to another and that was a fun experience, especially for party games.

Having a viable way to pay for the game once and use is on streaming and local hardware is also something Microsoft could probably do that Google didn't do.

The problem is licensing as this is still a problem for Nvidia's Geforce Now, as well as Microsoft's backwards compatibility for the Xbox Series consoles.
Licensing hasn't been a big barrier, that I am aware. Most of Xbox Gamepass, is streamable, if you subscribe to gamepass ultimate. I'm sure there are some games left out. But its not many. And MS owns so many studios now----it kinda doesn't matter if a couple of games are left out?-----they have a lot of good gaming content, one way or another.

They need to make a streaming only subscription.

I'm not worried about that. The way games are going I welcome going back to older games. In fact, one could say I'm a pro at it. Considering that most studios don't want to touch single players games with a 10 foot pole, and all multiplayer games are now live services, I'm not worried avoiding this cloud gaming inevitable future. Most likely this will just end up like the Metaverse. Expensive, unwanted, and will likely lose millions of dollars in stock value.
I agree once they go all cloud I will not participate in it. I got a life time worth older games I can replay and many more I still haven't.

This isn't even remotely true. The overwhelming majority of games released in a year are SP. You just have to look a tiny bit past the usual 25 big name titles each year
Even if we look at the big name titles:
https://venturebeat.com/games/npd-the-top-20-best-selling-games-of-2021-in-the-u-s/

Many offer some Single player experience if not purely SP games
Call of Duty: Vanguard
Madden NFL 22
Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Resident Evil: Village
Super Mario 3D World*
Far Cry 6
FIFA 22
Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla
NBA 2K22
Mortal Kombat 11
Forza Horizon 5

https://www.npd.com/news/entertainment-top-10/2022/top-10-video-games/
Gotham Knights
FIFA 23
Madden NFL 23
NHL 23
Persona 5
NBA 2K23*
Bayonetta 3*
Elden Ring
Horizon II: Forbidden West
LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
Gran Turismo 7

I think you can play all of those in SP mode with many not having much of an online mode.

https://venturebeat.com/games/npd-the-top-20-best-selling-games-of-2021-in-the-u-s/

Madden NFL 22
Super Mario 3D World*
Far Cry 6
FIFA 22
NBA 2K22
Mortal Kombat 11
Forza Horizon 5

Gotham Knights
FIFA 23
Madden NFL 23
NHL 23
Persona 5
NBA 2K23*
Bayonetta 3*
Elden Ring
Gran Turismo 7

I think you can play all of those in SP mode with many not having much of an online mode.
God of War: Ragnarok is Sony's biggest opening ever

Elden Ring vastly outsold Dark Souls 3's lifetime sales, in its first month.

Would not be surprised if GTA 6 became the biggest budget game ever at launch and being mostly a giant SP affair. The statement is wild.

Would not be surprised if GTA 6 became the biggest budget game ever at launch and being mostly a giant SP affair. The statement is wild.
I got a feeling GTA6 will be mostly online focused in one way or another. They been making bank off the GTA5 for years. With all the money it made they added nothing to the SP since release.

Madden NFL 22
Super Mario 3D World*
Far Cry 6
FIFA 22
NBA 2K22
Mortal Kombat 11
Forza Horizon 5

Gotham Knights
FIFA 23
Madden NFL 23
NHL 23
Persona 5
NBA 2K23*
Bayonetta 3*
Elden Ring
Gran Turismo 7

Don't get me wrong, plenty of people do want single player games but not the studios. The controversy that is Elden Ring still rages other developers because it's popular and the type of game design most studios want to avoid. Also a lot of your single player games you listed aren't exactly new. As pointed out by the Act Man, those games don't stay at the top for very long.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxRFG6oXCVkkvaCK9SIPEY0C6Nx-goTiNz

God of War: Ragnarok is Sony's biggest opening ever

Elden Ring vastly outsold Dark Souls 3's lifetime sales, in its first month.
Just wanted to point out that while Elden Ring is mostly a single player game, I'm not sure I would categorize it as one. That game sits in a grey area of single player and multiplayer.

As pointed out by the Act Man, those games don't stay at the top for very long
I would imagine sales is more what matter than being played or not, for sure for the same popularity the mp game will tend to have a longer longevity of being played.

Don't get me wrong, plenty of people do want single player games but not the studios.
I feel this is some crazy Internet hyperbole of saying a studio prefer a monthly paid online success than a single player to a: Studio do not want single players were studio just spent over half a billion dollar on Red Dead Redemption 2 and you can see God Of War Play station edition in store and Last of Us and Uncharted got movie franchise, like Tomb Raider.

I would imagine sales is more what matter than being played or not, for sure for the same popularity the mp game will tend to have a longer longevity of being played.

I feel this is some crazy Internet hyperbole of saying a studio prefer a monthly paid online success than a single player to a: Studio do not want single players were studio just spent over half a billion dollar on Red Dead Redemption 2 and you can see God Of War Play station edition in store and Last of Us and Uncharted got movie franchise, like Tomb Raider.
All major publishers are chasing the next Fortnite not the developers. Developers I can see want to create something more like GoW, HL and other primary single player games they can be creative with.

All major publishers are chasing the next Fortnite not the developers. Developers I can see want to create something more like GoW, HL and other primary single player games they can be creative with.
And chasing the next God of War, Last of Us, Assassin's Creed franchise has well I would imagine they tend to want somewhat diverse slate.

It is almost has simple, do we ever see a studio make-distribute a single player (or mostly single player) game, if the answer is yes why say they do not want to do so, who forcing them ?

And chasing the next God of War, Last of Us, Assassin's Creed franchise has well I would imagine they tend to want somewhat diverse slate.

It is almost has simple, do we ever see a studio make-distribute a single player (or mostly single player) game, if the answer is yes why say they do not want to do so, who forcing them ?
I can see them chasing the next Fortnite due to the simpler upkeep, seasonal shit, and the willing for players to keep dumping money into micropayments.

While the other titles you listed are impressive alone, they cannot compete on revenue generated by a weekend art team reskinning something and selling it to hardcore fans for $10-20 a pop. Or, locking it behind a gotcha system.

We’re getting far afield here talking about single player (vs the topic of Xbox) but as a primarily single player gamer there are still plenty of titles. At least for someone like me that doesn’t have a tremendous amount of time anymore to put into gaming as a hobby.

CP2077 had the biggest digital launch of any game ever. With 12 billion in revenue on day 1. And it has continued to add content. An expansion has also been announced.

All CDPR games in general are single player focused.

Larian the other major studio of my personal interest is single player focused.

If you want other games in the periphery, then inXile, Obsidian are primarily single player only.

Console wise all the jrpgs are there. And most of the action games have already been mentioned like GoW, Horizon, Souls titles etc.

Last edited:
I can see them chasing the next Fortnite due to the simpler upkeep, seasonal shit, and the willing for players to keep dumping money into micropayments.

While the other titles you listed are impressive alone, they cannot compete on revenue generated by a weekend art team reskinning something and selling it to hardcore fans for $10-20 a pop. Or, locking it behind a gotcha system.
Yes many things in cinema are not that impressive versus the next Star Wars/Marvel, it does not mean studios did not chase the next Hangover, you still need a diverse slate anyway.

There is a world of difference, studios would prefer to have the next Fortnite than not wanting God of War/Tomb Raider/Assassin's Creed. Has for simpler upkeep, having a massive server infrastructure and always coming up with new seasonal stuff is not necessarily simpler than the work to be done after launch of a single player hit.

We can just look at how much work goes into Unreal 5, that not made with only the next version of Fortnite/Pugb in mind, same goes for the whole Nintendo ecosystem, we can bet good money the next Zelda will feature a rich single player experience.

Like mentioned a couple of message above, all the buzz around Cyberpunk and the sales numbers does not leave any doubt that a studio would have interest in that kind of game, if the fact they make them all the time is not enough.

So something you don't like or agree with should cease or go away? This type of 'cancel' type thinking is familiar to me....

So something you don't like or agree with should cease or go away? This type of 'cancel' type thinking is familiar to me....

nah everything burns 💫equality💫

1669998576331.png

Back