Microcenter + Free Games = LOL...right.

BiH115

Gif Guy
I figured I'd throw this into the games section, and not the hardware section since it's about a game, specifically Borderlands 2. I recently bought a large number of parts to build a second desktop PC. Well, with one of the parts, the Microcenter site boasts a free Borderlands 2 copy if you purchase a certain product. Well, when getting home to build the PC, I noticed the code wasn't there, but what the hell right? I can call and just get them to give me the code since I have proof of purchase and all that snazz. Well after calling these motherfuckers 2-3 times daily, for 5 days, I decided that they either: a) have the worst phones in the world, b) do not ever hear the phone, or c) don't give a fuck. I called the service department, and the general number (Boston/Cambridge store, btw, for what it's worth), but there is no "music" or anything that lets me know I'm on hold, only 3 rings, some idiot saying that I did indeed call a Microcenter store (just in case I was dumb enough to call someone else), and then silence. The store is a bit out of the way for me, so I don't exactly have the means to drive there. Just a bit of a rant...wonder if anyone else has experienced similar issues with these guys. I also need to cash in about $100 of rebates, and I'm wondering if it'll even be worth it with the way these guys operate...

Another thing to rant about: I was in there an hour before close when I was buying up the parts, and I had a guy 'help' me (I use that term loosely). For those that don't know, Microcenter guys work on a commission of sorts, so if you let them help you pick out parts and let them fetch it for you pretty much, they get a little somethin'. So this guy is wheeling around my cart and asking me what I want and what I should get (recommending me useless shit), and trying to get me to buy these parts that I know I didn't want because I had a damn list already. It's almost as if my mom was working there, zero knowledge of basic symmetry and harmony within a case, recommending ridiculous power supply wattages and that I should purchase the $300 motherboard, as opposed to the one I wanted. :mad:

Rant off...

zero knowledge of basic symmetry and harmony within a case, recommending ridiculous power supply wattages and that I should purchase the $300 motherboard, as opposed to the one I wanted. :mad:

I have zero knowledge of "basic symmetry and harmony within a case", tend to buy power supplies well in excess of my requirements and usually end up with the $300 mobo instead of the one I wanted. :p

I have zero knowledge of "basic symmetry and harmony within a case", tend to buy power supplies well in excess of my requirements and usually end up with the $300 mobo instead of the one I wanted. :p

What I meant by harmony was pairing a 1000w psu (what he recommended), and a 660ti (again, he recommended). I just had to follow him around and say: "Ah, yeah that sounds future proof, but I'm going to go ahead and get a 650, and a 670, y'know?". It was aggravating. I'm not a big fan of huge power supplies since by the time I want to upgrade to a beefier cpu and psu, I'll get another PSU. Also I see zero reason to get an uber expensive mobo, but that's just me, since I don't really OC and all that.

Sounds like typical upselling to me. Not surprised at all being its retail. The one thing I will give Microcenter credit for is I did get my rebates eventually. Took literally 6+ months though. The last time I went to Microcenter for mutliple parts I had a list typed out that I gave to the sale guy. I just told him to tag all these if he wanted credit once he got the price matches done. :D

As for the borderlands 2 you're probably better off going down with your receipt and the box. Then fight with a manager until they give you it. I bought a 660 ti @ Fry's that was on sale. The sales guy, techs & cashier all swore up and down that the code was inside the box. So once I paid for the card I told the cashier to grab a manager while I open the box to see if the code was there. Low and behold it wasn't there... So the manager went to the center desk area and started searching thru some box. Then comes back with a small flyer with the code on it. Dumbass clerks, sales guys & manager itself either didn't know they should be giving them to their customers or they're just holding onto them so they can keep the free codes for themselves..

Sounds like typical upselling to me. Not surprised at all being its retail. The one thing I will give Microcenter credit for is I did get my rebates eventually. Took literally 6+ months though. The last time I went to Microcenter for mutliple parts I had a list typed out that I gave to the sale guy. I just told him to tag all these if he wanted credit once he got the price matches done. :D

As for the borderlands 2 you're probably better off going down with your receipt and the box. Then fight with a manager until they give you it. I bought a 660 ti @ Fry's that was on sale. The sales guy, techs & cashier all swore up and down that the code was inside the box. So once I paid for the card I told the cashier to grab a manager while I open the box to see if the code was there. Low and behold it wasn't there... So the manager went to the center desk area and started searching thru some box. Then comes back with a small flyer with the code on it. Dumbass clerks, sales guys & manager itself either didn't know they should be giving them to their customers or they're just holding onto them so they can keep the free codes for themselves..

Thanks for the thoughts, appreciate it. I suppose I should go down there and ask for it. I'll probably go down in a week or two to grab a Xonar DG sound card ($32!) and a new pair of headphones (hopefully they have a nice pair). I'm assuming that's what it is, that they simply didn't throw the piece of paper with the code in there. Though if that's the case, why aren't more people complaining then? Heh.

Also regarding the rebates, 6 fucking months? Are you kidding me? Is there a time-limit I have on these? I got the computer Sunday I believe, I won't run out of time, will I? Though to be honest, if it takes them 6 months, it seems I have all the time in the world rofl.

Why not just buy from Newegg/Amazon/TigerDirect?

Most of the stuff at Microcenter was MUCH cheaper than I could find, that, plus the fact that I was in the area and didn't feel like waiting helped influence it a lot. :D

Theres a microcenter in Denver I stop by when Im in Colorado thats basically just a big flymarket, shit every where, prices random, if you manage to find an employee they either dont know anything or you have to complete a minquest to free them from a pile of random merchandise they are trapped under. They are so strange. I found a i7 960 for like $110, but a wall full of shit like Dragon age origins still marked for $49.

Theres a microcenter in Denver I stop by when Im in Colorado thats basically just a big flymarket, shit every where, prices random, if you manage to find an employee they either dont know anything or you have to complete a minquest to free them from a pile of random merchandise they are trapped under. They are so strange. I found a i7 960 for like $110, but a wall full of shit like Dragon age origins still marked for $49.

LOL this is exactly what it was like. Random brand PSU's out in the open, the good shit in the back, odd-ball prices (though a lot were good). Some great sales going on though for the most part.

Thanks for the thoughts, appreciate it. I suppose I should go down there and ask for it. I'll probably go down in a week or two to grab a Xonar DG sound card ($32!) and a new pair of headphones (hopefully they have a nice pair). I'm assuming that's what it is, that they simply didn't throw the piece of paper with the code in there. Though if that's the case, why aren't more people complaining then? Heh.

Also regarding the rebates, 6 fucking months? Are you kidding me? Is there a time-limit I have on these? I got the computer Sunday I believe, I won't run out of time, will I? Though to be honest, if it takes them 6 months, it seems I have all the time in the world rofl.

The rebate forms themselves will specify the time frame you have to fill out and submit the information. It's usually not more the 14 days after the rebate offer time frame ends so I'd suggest not being lazy. BTW I forgot to mention that was 6 months after I got confirmation they got my rebate information and it was in "processing". Rebates in general are lame and their just hoping you'll get lazy and they can pocket the extra cash.

I can't stress enough that you take everything down with you since it's basically your word vs. theirs about the code. If the manager gives you any greif just tell him you'll return everything then and go with another vendor who remembers to give their customers the code!

As for why I used Microcenter rather than just buying everything online is there's one 30 mins from my house and they price match everyone. The sales guy even matched the Newegg prices I had on my spreadsheet when I asked. LOL I guess their markup was good enough to cover the 10 bucks.

The rebate forms themselves will specify the time frame you have to fill out and submit the information. It's usually not more the 14 days after the rebate offer time frame ends so I'd suggest not being lazy. BTW I forgot to mention that was 6 months after I got confirmation they got my rebate information and it was in "processing". Rebates in general are lame and their just hoping you'll get lazy and they can pocket the extra cash.

I can't stress enough that you take everything down with you since it's basically your word vs. theirs about the code. If the manager gives you any greif just tell him you'll return everything then and go with another vendor who remembers to give their customers the code!

As for why I used Microcenter rather than just buying everything online is there's one 30 mins from my house and they price match everyone. The sales guy even matched the Newegg prices I had on my spreadsheet when I asked. LOL I guess their markup was good enough to cover the 10 bucks.

Whatever they're doing price wise, they should keep doing it, because my wallet likes it. I got everything there basically because it was convenient in terms of wait time (I didn't want to wait 5 days to get shit from Newegg) plus I was already in the area.

I'm going to do the rebate forms tonight then, and throw them into my mailbox right before I head to work, that way it's out of sight out of mind. I hope it doesn't take 6 months...I'll be pissed. Did they send you a check after waiting for so long, or individual checks?

I've been to the one in Cambridge and it's a shit hole, like most consumer electronics BnM stores, but they have cheap chips! An old friend of mine works at a MC in another state. He sent me a couple BL2 codes for my family, from a 680 promotion. Not sure if each code is included in the box or the store has a stack of them. Wonder if the employees are hoarding them? I find it odd they aren't picking up the phone. Feel your pain man.

Yeah their phone support sucks and most of them don't like answering the phone.
Yeah they work on commission and are typically either really smart (1%) or not that smart (99%).

As long as you do your homework before you go in to buy stuff like you should be doing anyway you'll be ok. At least the guy tried to help rather than telling you to figure the shit out on your own or go buy a Dell because you're not smart enough to build your own.

Typically I either go there to browse or pick up an order. Browsing is easy; "just looking around", they'll leave you alone. Picking up orders is great because the stuff's ready in 18 minutes and you're in and out with no extra sales, offers, or recommendations thrown on top.

Yeah their phone support sucks and most of them don't like answering the phone.
Yeah they work on commission and are typically either really smart (1%) or not that smart (99%).

As long as you do your homework before you go in to buy stuff like you should be doing anyway you'll be ok. At least the guy tried to help rather than telling you to figure the shit out on your own or go buy a Dell because you're not smart enough to build your own.

Typically I either go there to browse or pick up an order. Browsing is easy; "just looking around", they'll leave you alone. Picking up orders is great because the stuff's ready in 18 minutes and you're in and out with no extra sales, offers, or recommendations thrown on top.

I mean, I know what I'm doing when it comes to building, and I did my research, I just generally wanted to go in there with my list, and buy shit. I let the guy help me because he said that if i let him push my cart around and gather up parts, it'd help him commission wise, I guess I don't know why I'm really complaining about that haha. To be truthful, he did help me get out of there before closing, so I did appreciate that. I just wish he could have related more to what hardware went with what. It's not that he was CLUELESS, just not on par with what I would think an average employee working at a computer parts only store should know (I'm looking at you also Best Buy... :mad: )

WetMacula said:
I've been to the one in Cambridge and it's a shit hole, like most consumer electronics BnM stores, but they have cheap chips! An old friend of mine works at a MC in another state. He sent me a couple BL2 codes for my family, from a 680 promotion. Not sure if each code is included in the box or the store has a stack of them. Wonder if the employees are hoarding them? I find it odd they aren't picking up the phone. Feel your pain man.

The one in Cambridge IS a shit hole, it was right in the parking lot next to a Trader Joe's, and it looked like a really bad part of town, though it was along two main roads right near Harvard, so I knew in the back of my head it couldn't have been THAT bad. Just some shady looking fuckers walking around. I did think "A wow, Newegg in person" when I walked in, so that was kind of nice. You live in the Cambridge/General area? Think you could try to call them just to see if they'll pick up? I'm curious if it's my phone or something, as I started to get pissed that NO ONE was picking up even after 5 days of god damn calling.

Another thing, for anyone that lives in the Boston area or near there that plans on going, prepare to go through SHIT to get out of that area when leaving, especially if you plan on going up north via highway. It's a real shit sucker to go through the UNREAL amount of potholes and town'ish roads, avoiding pedestrians and tire-busting cracks, to get to the highway. Couple that with how long it actually takes to get to the highway from the store, you'll lose your mind. It's almost as if they, on purpose, put the store in the most inconvenient place imaginable.

It's not that he was CLUELESS, just not on par with what I would think an average employee working at a computer parts only store should know (I'm looking at you also Best Buy... :mad: )

I'm interested in what you expect from these people :p The average employee working at a computer parts only store is typically a moron regardless of the store. One of my favourites was the dude telling me the more expensive DVR was better because it was digital because it said "digital" where as the cheaper one wasn't as good because it didn't say "digital" in the title therefore must not be digital :rolleyes: I just straight up asked him why he kept recommending the more expensive one and that was his reason. I felt like responding "omg, how are you so stupid?" But instead I just played dumb and probed with other questions to see how long he went on with the moronic idea that one was digital and the other wasn't despite the fact they were both much the same. Amazingly he just kept it up the whole time.

The only place I've been to that actually had consistently knowledgeable employees was Scorptec in Australia, they sit you down and walk you through your purchase and whether you want to build it yourself or get them to build it and specifically what parts you need for what purposes. They aren't amazingly smart, you'd still be better served doing your own research first, but at the same time they aren't complete morons nor going to purposely lead you astray. Unfortunately their prices are a bit higher, but I still usually buy from them since clearly they actually value staff knowledge and understanding seriously and they've always been good on returns and general help post-sale.

Most of the stuff at Microcenter was MUCH cheaper than I could find, that, plus the fact that I was in the area and didn't feel like waiting helped influence it a lot. :D

Yeah, by the looks of this thread it was totally worth it :rolleyes:

Yeah, by the looks of this thread it was totally worth it :rolleyes:

Well I mean, the parts were super cheap, I got in and out really fast, but I just didn't seem to get my free game code (which I should have!). I hate to say it, but it's not THAT bad. I just get frustrated really easily as you can read by my last post (especially the damn location of the place!). In the end I got a computer cheaper than I could build anywhere else, that's all that matters really.

I feel your phone pain. One day I tried to call two times. First time was almost twenty minutes waiting for someone till my cell lost signal, next time was probably 15 minutes and never got anyone to pickup. I gave up!

The deals are not bad. I was gonna buy a 3570k and a $90ish motherboard but the board was out of stock. The rep kept pushing a $200ish board on me and I said F it. I'll hold onto my AMD shit till I find cheaper prices on newegg or amazon. Or even used at that matter!

Other than CPU/Mobo deals it's hard to find a good deal from them. Also have to be careful to not buy refurbished as some of it isn't marked so.

My experiences at Micro Center have been positive. When doing a build I also have a list with me, and the guys knew right were everything was. So their employees I've dealt with have been helpful. They have seemed like techies and not salesmen.

Over the years Ive learned one thing... dont send your friends to Micro Center only send your worse enemies. MC has had the worse rep. Ive ever seen for the last what 10-20 years +-

My experiences at Micro Center have been positive. When doing a build I also have a list with me, and the guys knew right were everything was. So their employees I've dealt with have been helpful. They have seemed like techies and not salesmen.

Agreed for the most part.
Generally I go in there knowing what I want and most of the stuff I've been there enough to know where it is. A few times I've wanted something that wasn't on the shelves and someone had to find it in the back; in those cases, it's generally only taken a few minutes.

The only real negative experience I've had there was recently I met a friend of my wife's to help her pick out and buy a laptop. Sales guy (doing his usual commission shtick) tried to upsell everything. "Do you need Office?" No. "Antivirus? We're running a 3 year deal on [something]." No. "Accessories?" No. "Extended warranties, covers this this and this for $50." I flat out said (in a serious yet casual and friendly manner) "I'm her extended warranty". :) (yes, with a nice non-smirk smile) Guy copped a shill attitude after that. "Well that's great if you have someone like yourself who can do the repairs, but can you get the parts for $50 bucks?" I just :rolleyes: and told him we just need the laptop and we'll be on our way.

Most of the other people I've dealt with there typically aren't pushy; this guy was pushy. I still go there frequently though, especially because it's right behind our building so anytime throughout the work day if we need something, it's real easy to run in MC and grab it.

The store nearest me isn't like that at all. It is very well organized except for i think it's "the bargain cave" which has tons of old platforms, games, movies, cd/dvd r-w, etc that are all marked down. But maybe others don't have that...

I went to the Cambridge store a few weeks ago with a friend to pick up stuff for his new computer. Walked out with a 3570K, Biostar Z77, 30NM Samsung 8GB RAM, Hyper 212 EVO, and a Antec HCG 750W. Everything was either same price as Newegg or cheaper, obviously the combo was the reason for going but the Antec PSU was about $25 cheaper than NE at the time. He was quite happy.

Store was really nice too. First time I ever went to one. Checkout procedure was a bit odd and slow though.

I went to the Cambridge store a few weeks ago with a friend to pick up stuff for his new computer. Walked out with a 3570K, Biostar Z77, 30NM Samsung 8GB RAM, Hyper 212 EVO, and a Antec HCG 750W. Everything was either same price as Newegg or cheaper, obviously the combo was the reason for going but the Antec PSU was about $25 cheaper than NE at the time. He was quite happy.

Store was really nice too. First time I ever went to one. Checkout procedure was a bit odd and slow though.

Ahah I noticed the checkout was unusually long as well, I had a college dropout telling me random shit about what he did in college and what he wants to do in life. He took forever to count my 100 dollar bills, literally forever. I think it took 10 minutes to count the bills. I wanted to grab the money, and just walk out at one point and go home to sleep (it was at night).

This is why when I go to Microcenter I immediately tell them, "nah, I don't need any help. I'm just browsing." Then I make a beeline to what I'm after. In fact I'm going there today for a CPU HSF.

I have had mixed experiences at Micro Center myself (the NJ store), but for the most part it has been generally positive.

What I can say is that if you are genuinely dissatisfied with your shopping experience, go to that link to the survey at the bottom of your receipt. Or, if you get their emails asking you about your most recent visit, take the time to actually do their survey and be honest.

In my experience, they actually are responsive to it and make the necessary adjustments. For my last few survey responses earlier this year, I commented on the lack of watercooling parts (it was almost non-existent) and the wait times on the lines was quite long since only two registers were opened. I explained that I do a lot of builds, not just for me, but friends and family too, and often times having a local watercooling parts store is an invaluable proposition, considering how popular and mainstream it has become. I also explained that there were many empty registers, but only two were opened at any one time, and that hurts them as I have seen people walk out the store because they did not want to wait.

Over the next few months, gradually the watercooling selection got filled out and currently there is a very nice selection. Granted, it is not the same as ordering from online stores still, and the prices are a little on the high side, but if you need something in a pinch it can be real time-saver. Not only that, but I noticed the lines were also noticeably faster as well, with the management team actively keeps an eye on them to ensure they move along at a steady pace.

Now, I'm not saying I am the sole reason why the changes happened at that store, but I am saying that if you take the time to offer some constructive criticism to them, they will actually listen - at least the corporate office does. Changes will not be apparent right away, but given enough time, things will get better. ;)

If getting Borderlands 2 was so important to you, why didn't you make sure you had your code before you left the store?

Also, was it the EVGA 6 series deal? If so , I would call them up instead of the distributor and give them your proof of purchase to see if they can give you a code for the game over the phone.

If not well, that is just bad business.

List your store!

I have the Paterson, NJ location about 5 mins down the road. 3.5% sales tax!

Yes the sales people make about 1% or 2% commision on everything that has their sticker on it.
So when a computer service person helps you pick out parts he will put his stickers on the box
and when you get to the cashier she will ask if this person helped you and if you say yes
she will scan it.

For most people in this forum those sales people could not get away with selling us useless shit.
The sales people @ microcenter do rape their customers if they get a chance.

The great thing about Micro Center (Paterson, NJ) is their sales ads that come in the mail.
I remember getting a ridiculous deal on my I5 and Mobo combo which came in the mail.
The key is to purchase the Memory + Powersupply + Case + Videocard online.
These items seems to be super inflated some times about 30% + 40% more.
They tried to get me to buy their parts @ inflated prices but it didnt work.

The game department is awesome and you can get everything such as consoles, games and accessories. Plus they always have nice demo stands I remember rocking out to some
Guitar Hero at that place.

I had to return some items and never had any issues.

Just remember when you go to MicroCenter you know more than them.
They are sale whores...lol

Last edited:

I bought a Nvidia GPU, and had to ask for the coupon. THey keep the coupons in the managers office because people were buying the card, taking the code out, and returning the card.

It makes perfect sense why they do it.

Not to throw a wrench into this thread but I received a free Batman Arkham City Steam key just for sending them an email & I was randomly chosen. :) They're not all bad... (at least as far as the customer support team goes)

Edit: I should note that it was part of a contest posted on Facebook

Last edited:
Damn the microcenter out here in NE ohio is damn good..
There are a few douchebags working there, but every time I go there, I always seem to get the same guy to help me. He knows now, that when I come in I already had the items I want in my mind and he wont try and up sell me..

Store is clean, and layed out perfect.

Prices are always cheaper than newegg, and only a 30 min drive for me. Drive > Waiting 2-5 days..

Damn the microcenter out here in NE ohio is damn good..
There are a few douchebags working there, but every time I go there, I always seem to get the same guy to help me. He knows now, that when I come in I already had the items I want in my mind and he wont try and up sell me..

Store is clean, and layed out perfect.

Prices are always cheaper than newegg, and only a 30 min drive for me. Drive > Waiting 2-5 days..

Store here is pretty clean as well (Cambridge/Boston), but it's very warehousey feeling. Also I agree, I'd rather take that shit-filled drive to Cambridge with their fucked up roads than wait a week for newegg to get me my shit. My new thing now is checking if MicroCenter has a lower price, it's actually the first place I check now, used to be newegg. As many crappy problems I've had there, I still plan on going there this weekend to pick up a sound card and look at some other stuff.

You have that disease too?:D

Microcenter's online chat support is the biggest joke ever, there's like 1 guy dealing with a load of chat boxes all at once, it took me about 20 minutes to get a reply to each question i had. I just decided to call instead, i got fed up.

When i bought my 7970's online i never got the free games like it said, after about 20 minutes on hold, the lady came back with some game vouchers, scratched the backs off and read me the codes over the phone. Got what i wanted in the end :)

I have never had one real problem with the St Davids ,PA Microcenter. The CPU/Motherboard combo sales they always have can not be beat. Did my rebates on the spot at the kiosk in the store. Open box drive I bought they tested before I left the store. 6% PA sales tax sucks, and that I now live a hour drive away @ $3.95 a gallon is the only reason my New egg account is open. Up selling does not bother me, sales person has to eat too. I can say NO easily, what does piss me off is when you reserve an Item online, go to the store and they "say" it's not in stock "but here is this other thing you don't want for a bunch more $$" usually a manager can find "one left in the back":rolleyes:

Microcenter's online chat support is the biggest joke ever, there's like 1 guy dealing with a load of chat boxes all at once, it took me about 20 minutes to get a reply to each question i had. I just decided to call instead, i got fed up.

When i bought my 7970's online i never got the free games like it said, after about 20 minutes on hold, the lady came back with some game vouchers, scratched the backs off and read me the codes over the phone. Got what i wanted in the end :)

To this day they don't pick up their phone at the Cambridge/Boston facility. I'm convinced they unplugged their phones rofl.

I figured I'd throw this into the games section, and not the hardware section since it's about a game, specifically Borderlands 2. I recently bought a large number of parts to build a second desktop PC. Well, with one of the parts, the Microcenter site boasts a free Borderlands 2 copy if you purchase a certain product. Well, when getting home to build the PC, I noticed the code wasn't there, but what the hell right? I can call and just get them to give me the code since I have proof of purchase and all that snazz. Well after calling these motherfuckers 2-3 times daily, for 5 days, I decided that they either: a) have the worst phones in the world, b) do not ever hear the phone, or c) don't give a fuck. I called the service department, and the general number (Boston/Cambridge store, btw, for what it's worth), but there is no "music" or anything that lets me know I'm on hold, only 3 rings, some idiot saying that I did indeed call a Microcenter store (just in case I was dumb enough to call someone else), and then silence. The store is a bit out of the way for me, so I don't exactly have the means to drive there. Just a bit of a rant...wonder if anyone else has experienced similar issues with these guys. I also need to cash in about $100 of rebates, and I'm wondering if it'll even be worth it with the way these guys operate...

Another thing to rant about: I was in there an hour before close when I was buying up the parts, and I had a guy 'help' me (I use that term loosely). For those that don't know, Microcenter guys work on a commission of sorts, so if you let them help you pick out parts and let them fetch it for you pretty much, they get a little somethin'. So this guy is wheeling around my cart and asking me what I want and what I should get (recommending me useless shit), and trying to get me to buy these parts that I know I didn't want because I had a damn list already. It's almost as if my mom was working there, zero knowledge of basic symmetry and harmony within a case, recommending ridiculous power supply wattages and that I should purchase the $300 motherboard, as opposed to the one I wanted. :mad:

Rant off...

if the code wasn't in the box then try contacting the manufactures customer service as long as the card wasn't made by diamond or ECS, lol.

Back