Mic and Headphone suggestion for 2 gamers in same room

Linkz

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone, I've asked around but I haven't gotten any solid answers on this. I'm a total audio noob, so hoping you use y'all expertise. I’m needing some PC audio help/advice. In my current office situation, my wife and I both have our gaming rigs and desks side by side, around 5 feet apart on the same wall. The room is large (about 20ftx10ft) but we choose to be side by side to save space for VR room. I have a voice that carries and when we game together you can always hear me twice in discord (once coming from my mic and again hearing me through hers). I know push to talk is an option but I’d rather invest in some better hardware to fix this issue.
I have tried a few software based fixes
  1. Messing with the voice activation levels in discord
  2. NVIDIA Broadcast App to help with noise gating
Neither fixed the issue.
We both are using the Logitech G935 headset and the only pro is the wireless. I’m also not a huge fan of it since it has its own issues (randomly disconnecting, etc). But I would be fine with a nice pair of headphones and a boom mic. I’ve heard about DACs, cloudgates, and uni-directional mics, but I know nothing about audio so please keep that in mind when answering since I’m a total noob in that regard.
Budget wise I’d say I could spend around $2000 on hardware. ($1000 for each PC)

Stuff I've been currently looking at:
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Shure SM7B
Cloudlifter CL-1

But I'm really flying blind so I might be looking at the wrong stuff, so what hardware/software do I need for us to be able to have nice audio and good mic quality, and most importantly not hearing my echo when we do voice comms with friends?
Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Dunno, maybe get 1 Mic and set it between the two of you, or maybe get a sound deadening panel you can prop up between the two of you when you both are gaming.
Maybe get a shotgun mic with a very narrow sound field aimed directly at her.

I use the Steelseries Arctis 7 and I bound one of my side mouse buttons to F13 and use that as a push to talk key in Discord. I also bound the thumbstick buttons on my Xbox controller to push to talk in Discord too since you can bind multiple keys in one of the advanced settings. Once you get used to it hitting the PTT key on your mouse becomes second nature.

A hardware solution like a narrow directional mic might work as well.

The equipment you just listed, will not solve your problem at all. Try looking at headsets or mics designed for office/call centre space. As they are generally designed around trying to reduce picking up people around you. Like Jabra's Evolve series, as their main business is exactly that(headsets for office/call centre).

You could also consider a headset like a Sennheiser PC38X. Where agian, the mic isn't deisgned to pickup stuff far away from it.

Last edited:
Also it should be noted that while the Shure SM7B is one of the most commonly used broadcast mics and is known for a signature sound.... most of that sound signature is from EQ and not the mic itself. It's also, as you found out spec'ing it out, expensive AF if you don't already have a studio-ish grade recording setup. As not only is the mic expensive, so is having the gear to run it. And then once you do.... you quickly find out that getting that signature sound requires EQ... EQ you can apply to just about any mic and get 90% of the same sound signature. Without needing any of the expensive equipment needed to run that Mic. Which is worth knowing if your just streaming or gaming and don't need it's studio quality capability for say... recording an album or other pro/prosumer level audio work.

Last edited:
The equipment you just listed, will not solve your problem at all. Try looking at headsets or mics designed for office/call centre space. As they are generally designed around trying to reduce picking up people around you. Like Jabra's Evolve series, as their main business is exactly that(headsets for office/call centre).

You could also consider a headset like a Sennheiser PC38X. Where agian, the mic isn't deisgned to pickup stuff far away from it.
I hadn't heard of the PC38X, I justed order 2 pairs and I'll try them out in our next gaming session to report on if my voice is picked up on her mic, good recommendation!

Also it should be noted that while the Shure SM7B is one of the most commonly used broadcast mics and is known for a signature sound.... most of that sound signature is from EQ and not the mic itself. It's also, as you found out spec'ing it out, expensive AF if you don't already have a studio-ish grade recording setup. As not only is the mic expensive, so is having the gear to run it. And then once you do.... you quickly find out that getting that signature sound requires EQ... EQ you can apply to just about any mic and get 90% of the same sound signature. Without needing any of the expensive equipment needed to run that Mic. Which is worth knowing if your just streaming or gaming and don't need it's studio quality capability for say... recording an album or other pro/prosumer level audio work.
And true, I'm not playing on starting a music career and I don't stream often, so its probably not worth investing $2000+.

Well TrunksZero you totally saved the day, the 2 Sennheiser PC38Xs worked perfectly! Had to do very minor tweaking with voice activation levels but otherwise no work at all. Thank you very much!

Back