Makes me wish I picked up a new 2ds xl at some point.
Might need new hardware no matter what though...
HzMod supports the original 3DS. I apologize if my wording was confusing. The issue with the original model is it has less memory and processing power compared to the later model, which may introduce some performance issues that you won't necessarily see on the New 3DS.

Oh yeah, playing it at sub 30fps sounds like absolute hell.

My personal New 3DS is a rarer model and I'm not gonna attempt hacking it or modifying it in any way.

I uhh, went the old fashioned way and I'm gonna play it with Citra, though I need to find a way to emulate the touchscreen buttons as its necessary for activating powers in Samus Returns. I'll figure it out.

Oh yeah, playing it at sub 30fps sounds like absolute hell.

My personal New 3DS is a rarer model and I'm not gonna attempt hacking it or modifying it in any way.

I uhh, went the old fashioned way and I'm gonna play it with Citra, though I need to find a way to emulate the touchscreen buttons as its necessary for activating powers in Samus Returns. I'll figure it out.
Use a PS4 or PS5 controller with DS4Windows for the touchpad button.

X parasites are still around and that is why the EMMI were dispatched. I guess the hostile EMMI are X parasites mimicking the originals. We also see Adam is back.

Oh, snap! Chozo Lord and more Chozo in power suits.

Good to see Samus is still looking feminine in this day and age, but it doesn't look like her eyes are blue anymore? If it was the color of the visor change the appearance of her eyes they would appear more cyan than brown...

Samus is barely human anymore so I think that's gonna be a large part of the plot of this game.

Damn that trailer has me hyped though!
Aside from having Metroid DNA integrated into hers now she is still very much human as we see at the end of the game. I was frankly kind of disappointed upon seeing her with her suit off at the end of Fusion as I had gotten the impression that her power suit couldn't be completely removed anymore due to the X parasite infection. We'll have to see how they handled it when the game comes out in October. I do have to wonder, though, if the corruption between the the Metroids, Dark World, and X parasites all contribute to why the Chozo are hostile toward her in Dread.

Metroid, Chozo, Phazon and X parasite are all part of her now. Likely some bio-mechanical stuff as well given how the new suit seems to connect to her spine.

I'm so damn hyped for this game.

Metroid, Chozo, Phazon and X parasite are all part of her now. Likely some bio-mechanical stuff as well given how the new suit seems to connect to her spine.

I'm so damn hyped for this game.
Right, forgot about the Phazon. Maybe they retconned those ending images to fit more with the plot points I was referring to in Fusion.

Damn, all this talk is also getting me very hyped!

They haven't acknowledged phazon at all in the 2d games so I'm not sure if that actually applies. I'm ok with the Prime series being its own little offshoot, story wise.

Metroid Prime 4 is hopefully next year as well!

Finally a reason to dust off my Switch. game is pretty cool so far. I really enjoy 2D Metroid games over the 3D ones. Not much love here for it seems.

Completely enjoyed my first hour. Controls are flawless (even though I’d prefer d-pad movement). Still feels great! Performance is perfect, and so far the game and tiny bit of story is spot on and engaging. Obviously, I’ve barely scratched the surface, but I feel like that’s a good sign here. Atmosphere is top notch too. Very happy I picked this up, but then, there was nothing to worry about. It’s Metroid :p

My one hour opinion is “buy it”.

Finally a reason to dust off my Switch. game is pretty cool so far. I really enjoy 2D Metroid games over the 3D ones. Not much love here for it seems.

I only play 2D Metroid. So far this one is flawless. We’ll see how it progresses. Damn, I actually had things to do tonight. So much for that :D

Damnit! Work needs to get over. To quote David Lee Roth, "I think the clock is sllloooowwww!"

Shh, I'm trying to finish up AC Valhalla before moving onto my next single player title - your posts aren't helping, J3RK!

I'm not sure why I started that title so close to Dread's launch. :-/

Shh, I'm trying to finish up AC Valhalla before moving onto my next single player title - your posts aren't helping, J3RK!

I'm not sure why I started that title so close to Dread's launch. :-/

Ditch it! :p

Got my special edition!
_gVJDm&tn=RH5TRQRo5vpPGbfW&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio2-1.jpg

And Amiibos!
nc_ohc=qAf9eNI2B4gAX_IaHpS&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio2-1.jpg

And I'm ready to stream!
nc_ohc=m56Oamr-D9wAX8Dznn8&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio2-1.jpg

I was actually early enough in line to get an OLED switch but I decided against it for now.

$9ish per hour isn’t too bad if you had fun IMO. I guess it depends on the game. I think I like 12-15 for something like this, but we’ll see. I take my time on this style of game, so maybe it will take me a bit longer.

Who knows. If it sellable well, maybe they’ll make more of them since they have a good engine, basic assets, etc. already in place.

$9ish per hour isn’t too bad if you had fun IMO. I guess it depends on the game. I think I like 12-15 for something like this, but we’ll see. I take my time on this style of game, so maybe it will take me a bit longer.

Who knows. If it sellable well, maybe they’ll make more of them since they have a good engine, basic assets, etc. already in place.
The game was fun. The aesthetics don't do it for me. The switch is showing it's age. Load times are unbearable in this game after playing the PS5. Game does chug a bit in spots like the final boss.

Game isn't bad. The EMMI killing you over and over just sort of removes all of the threat from them and makes them an annoyance. Plus many of the boss battles are huge spikes in difficulty.

Like this game a lot. Controls are pretty responsive, but I find myself sliding when I want to aim too much using the default controllers, those dang buttons.

Game isn't bad. The EMMI killing you over and over just sort of removes all of the threat from them and makes them an annoyance. Plus many of the boss battles are huge spikes in difficulty.

I’m not having too much trouble with them. I do get killed here and there, but most of the time evading them is a bit fun, until I charge the weapon.

I’ve only killed three of them so far though.

I did have some trouble with the first two bigger bosses until I realized that they do “something” ;) that you can use to get more health and missiles.

Ok, the EMMI in Dairon is a bit of a pain in the ass. Mainly because I don’t have everything I need to get all the way through its area though.

The game was fun. The aesthetics don't do it for me. The switch is showing it's age. Load times are unbearable in this game after playing the PS5. Game does chug a bit in spots like the final boss.

I actually like the aesthetics, and I’m usually not a 2.5D person. A lot of the machines and such remind me of Doom 3, which I love.

This game only exists because Samus Returns was so successful. Same developer & style. If you enjoy this game, I highly recommend playing SR on 3DS. I'm kind of shocked Nintendo didn't cash in on samus returns by porting it to Switch about a year ago.

Ok, the EMMI in Dairon is a bit of a pain in the ass. Mainly because I don’t have everything I need to get all the way through its area though.
Is that the purple one? That one is the hardest by far. I read a walkthrough that said you had to fight it in this tiny area, but you really don't, you can get to a much larger platform pretty easily.

EDIT: Not sure if you're talking about running from it or actually taking it out...

I actually like the aesthetics, and I’m usually not a 2.5D person. A lot of the machines and such remind me of Doom 3, which I love.
They're adequate, but I agree if it were on a different platform it could look way better. This is kinda what I mean earlier in the thread where it looks like it could have been a 3DS game or something, not a whole lot would have had to be changed.

They're adequate, but I agree if it were on a different platform it could look way better. This is kinda what I mean earlier in the thread where it looks like it could have been a 3DS game or something, not a whole lot would have had to be changed.

While I definitely agree that it could have been WAY more detailed, with more effects, etc. on a more powerful platform, there's absolutely no way this would work on a 3DS even if it was dumbed down 50%. Too much lighting, too many polygons, textures filtered properly (filtered period) etc. I do understand what you mean completely, I just think it's a bigger difference than your comment would suggest. That said, I think it looks and plays just fine to get the feel correct, and the point across. Of course it COULD look better, but I don't think it looks bad either.

Is that the purple one? That one is the hardest by far. I read a walkthrough that said you had to fight it in this tiny area, but you really don't, you can get to a much larger platform pretty easily.

EDIT: Not sure if you're talking about running from it or actually taking it out...

It was the yellow one in Dairon. It wasn't hard at all to fight it. It was just the first one that seemed faster than I could run, and the EMMI Zone was split up into separate sections that had to be accessed from other areas. It wasn't terribly difficult, and I seem to be good at parrying. It was just more of a pain than the others up to that point, and I died disproportionately to the others. I took it out pretty easily last night after I finally figured out how to get to the central area of the map where the eyeball thing is. :D I just kept hitting dead ends because I still needed a couple of key pieces of gear. Rolling pretty smoothly now that I have those actually. I suppose when I hit the purple guy I'll know what you're talking about. :D

I'm really enjoying this game. IMO it's more about the feel and speed than some of the other ones. Of course Super Metroid and the GBA ones were fast and smooth, but I always felt like some of the movement (jumping specifically) was clunky and floaty. You get used to it, but it all feels much more fluid on this one. Chaining complex movements together just looks and feels right to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was the yellow one in Dairon. It wasn't hard at all to fight it. It was just the first one that seemed faster than I could run, and the EMMI Zone was split up into separate sections that had to be accessed from other areas. It wasn't terribly difficult, and I seem to be good at parrying. It was just more of a pain than the others up to that point, and I died disproportionately to the others. I took it out pretty easily last night after I finally figured out how to get to the central area of the map where the eyeball thing is. :D I just kept hitting dead ends because I still needed a couple of key pieces of gear. Rolling pretty smoothly now that I have those actually. I suppose when I hit the purple guy I'll know what you're talking about. :D

I'm really enjoying this game. IMO it's more about the feel and speed than some of the other ones. Of course Super Metroid and the GBA ones were fast and smooth, but I always felt like some of the movement (jumping specifically) was clunky and floaty. You get used to it, but it all feels much more fluid on this one. Chaining complex movements together just looks and feels right to me.
Gotcha - yeah, you'll get to the purple one, it's one of the last ones you have to deal with. I believe the yellow gives you the speed boost, which is why it's so fast.

So far my biggest annoyance, besides the boss fight difficulty spikes, have been some of the more difficult to obtain items that require speed boost and/or sparkshine to get. Some of them require really precise jumping and timing and have been a huge pain in the ass to get. If you have issues with precision platforming, some of these I don't think are actually obtainable.

That said, I am trying to 100% it and I've gotten most, if not all of the powerups now, so I should be able to do that soon-ish. I think I am probably less than an hour from the final boss if I chose to go straight there.

Gotcha - yeah, you'll get to the purple one, it's one of the last ones you have to deal with. I believe the yellow gives you the speed boost, which is why it's so fast.

So far my biggest annoyance, besides the boss fight difficulty spikes, have been some of the more difficult to obtain items that require speed boost and/or sparkshine to get. Some of them require really precise jumping and timing and have been a huge pain in the ass to get. If you have issues with precision platforming, some of these I don't think are actually obtainable.

That said, I am trying to 100% it and I've gotten most, if not all of the powerups now, so I should be able to do that soon-ish. I think I am probably less than an hour from the final boss if I chose to go straight there.

Having just finished Hollow Knight for the second time, including Path of Pain, this isn't too bad. I do agree that some things are a bit of a pain to access though. I've run into a couple of the speed boost bricks that are definitely pretty stupid :D There's also a few items that are behind block chain :D puzzles, where for example you have to use ball-bombs to bounce up, open one space, then jump up and hit it with rockets, the jump in, roll through without falling through the touch-blocks, in order to just get a missile tank upgrade. :D I still haven't grabbed that one yet. It pissed me off. I'll have to go back for it later. (I'm also trying a 100% approach.)

Having just finished Hollow Knight for the second time, including Path of Pain, this isn't too bad. I do agree that some things are a bit of a pain to access though. I've run into a couple of the speed boost bricks that are definitely pretty stupid :D There's also a few items that are behind block chain :D puzzles, where for example you have to use ball-bombs to bounce up, open one space, then jump up and hit it with rockets, the jump in, roll through without falling through the touch-blocks, in order to just get a missile tank upgrade. :D I still haven't grabbed that one yet. It pissed me off. I'll have to go back for it later. (I'm also trying a 100% approach.)
Ah, yeah. Some of those you need the cross-bomb upgrade to get across. The game doesn't really do a good job of explaining that you can use it to boost you across those pitfall blocks.

For me it's more some of the ones where you have to maintain speed boost across multiple directional changes and wall jumps, and then have to activate sparkshine within a really short time frame. It took me upwards of a half hour to get some of them, if not more. I felt like throwing my controller across the room, which is not a common feeling for me.

Speaking of Hollow Knight, that is a game that I got part of the way through and then got frustrated with getting lost and really difficult (for me) bosses. Never did finish the game, which is a shame because the atmosphere was beautiful.

Ah, yeah. Some of those you need the cross-bomb upgrade to get across. The game doesn't really do a good job of explaining that you can use it to boost you across those pitfall blocks.

For me it's more some of the ones where you have to maintain speed boost across multiple directional changes and wall jumps, and then have to activate sparkshine within a really short time frame. It took me upwards of a half hour to get some of them, if not more. I felt like throwing my controller across the room, which is not a common feeling for me.

Speaking of Hollow Knight, that is a game that I got part of the way through and then got frustrated with getting lost and really difficult (for me) bosses. Never did finish the game, which is a shame because the atmosphere was beautiful.

I’m not a controller thrower either, but Hollow Knight is the one game that made me feel like that! :D Some of the bosses are pretty stupid-hard, but some that feel that way on your first few attempts are surprisingly easy once you know their patterns. Some of them are hard no matter what though. I didn’t really do the Pantheon of the Gods thing much. I really hate boss rushes and boss battles for the sake of it. If they aren’t hiding some amazing tool for me to play the rest of the game with then they can…

I’ve explored the entire map a million times over, and eventually it’s just second nature to get where you want to go without much map use. The path of pain though. Fuck that place! Beat it twice which may be twice too many. :D

Actually I basically beat it three times, because the middle try, I got all the way to the end, had plenty of health for the two guys you fight, but got pushed into the spikes and kind of stuck there until I died. If you die-die, like that, you have to start from the beginning!! It was a little while until I decided to go back that third time to complete it twice.

Anyway, it’s not required to go that route. I just had to prove to myself (more than once it seems) that I was still good enough at these sorts of things. :D

You should give it another shot someday. There are two excellent YT channels to reference if you’re really stuck on something. They’re both a bit annoying, but they know their shit. One is Relya the other is Rusty-something I think.

I tried not to resort to that, but there are a couple of spots, and a couple of bosses that almost require looking up.

The other thing is to know which combos of charms are actually useful, and which ones seem like they would be but aren’t. That makes the later game SO much easier. It’s worth grinding to get the stuff you need as early as possible, then play more relaxed later.

Anyway, sorry for taking up Metroid space with that :D

I’m not a controller thrower either, but Hollow Knight is the one game that made me feel like that! :D Some of the bosses are pretty stupid-hard, but some that feel that way on your first few attempts are surprisingly easy once you know their patterns. Some of them are hard no matter what though. I didn’t really do the Pantheon of the Gods thing much. I really hate boss rushes and boss battles for the sake of it. If they aren’t hiding some amazing tool for me to play the rest of the game with then they can…

I’ve explored the entire map a million times over, and eventually it’s just second nature to get where you want to go without much map use. The path of pain though. Fuck that place! Beat it twice which may be twice too many. :D

Actually I basically beat it three times, because the middle try, I got all the way to the end, had plenty of health for the two guys you fight, but got pushed into the spikes and kind of stuck there until I died. If you die-die, like that, you have to start from the beginning!! It was a little while until I decided to go back that third time to complete it twice.

Anyway, it’s not required to go that route. I just had to prove to myself (more than once it seems) that I was still good enough at these sorts of things. :D

You should give it another shot someday. There are two excellent YT channels to reference if you’re really stuck on something. They’re both a bit annoying, but they know their shit. One is Relya the other is Rusty-something I think.

I tried not to resort to that, but there are a couple of spots, and a couple of bosses that almost require looking up.

The other thing is to know which combos of charms are actually useful, and which ones seem like they would be but aren’t. That makes the later game SO much easier. It’s worth grinding to get the stuff you need as early as possible, then play more relaxed later.

Anyway, sorry for taking up Metroid space with that :D
Thanks for all the info, I will more than likely revisit it someday.

I just got 100% in Dread, other than beating the final boss. Some of the speed boost stuff I had to look up, as well as a couple of the final powerups. Some of them require you to basically fire randomly at walls with zero indication that there is a secret area. Not a big fan of that when you have the built-in mechanic with the flashing map where a secret is, but in some instances the game just decides, nah. Overall getting full completion felt like a real slog, but at least after I finish the game I don't have to go back again.

I did it, finished metroid dread, 100%, a couple items took multiple tries to get and a couple of the bosses (especially the final boss) took a few tries until I figured out how they worked. Awesome game, absolutely loved it.

Back