Mesh router suggestion?

DGMurdockIII

Limp Gawd
I'm currently using the original Google mesh wifi but I was wondering if there was any better mesh wifi router that also has extra eathernet ports not a must becouse I have a hub but would be nice

Is true mesh a requirement for you?

I recently set up a Ubiquiti Edgerouter and 3 x Lite access points and it's amazing compared to my old "mesh" system.

Ubiquiti's AmpliFi or Eero are both solid choices I have not used the Amplifi personally though just their Unifi line I've heard good things though.
I personally like tool_462 have the Unifi AC access points.

Look into Asus AI Mesh. I have a GT AC5300 ROG | RT-AC86U | RT-AC68U in my home all connected by AI Mesh all ports on all routers are available and wi-fi is seamless throughout my home and back yard. Setup is simple and possibilities are endless hard to go wrong with performance and versatility.

I run 4 UniFi AP's with UniFi Controller running in a jail on my FreeNAS setup .. great coverage in and around my house and pretty inexpensive to boot. All powered by an Edgerouter X-SFP

Guessing someone who is asking for Mesh setup, unifi gear might be a bit to much. But Another Unifi user here. Inwall AC units and and AC lite for garage duty. Works really well. Not the fastest but constant and with over 20 wifi devices speeds are more than enough for my 150/150 connection. I will be grabbing a wifi 6 in wall unit when they get back in stock.

I too like many of these folks have Unifi gear in my home. But for friends and family I need a simple and RELIABLE mesh solution, with wired backhaul. I know Eero does this but only on the "pro" now which is 600 bucks. Any solid cheaper suggestions?

Guessing someone who is asking for Mesh setup, unifi gear might be a bit to much. But Another Unifi user here. Inwall AC units and and AC lite for garage duty. Works really well. Not the fastest but constant and with over 20 wifi devices speeds are more than enough for my 150/150 connection. I will be grabbing a wifi 6 in wall unit when they get back in stock.

That is kind of what the cloud key is designed for. It does help lower the bar to get into Ubiquiti gear.

https://www.ui.com/unifi/unifi-cloud-key/

If you use a cloud key plus a few APs it's probably configurable to a basic setup for most people. Actually configuring the APs is fairly trivial, so if you have a device which you can login to that's already setup for the software it shouldn't be too bad.

Guessing someone who is asking for Mesh setup, unifi gear might be a bit to much.

This mentality in general, being able to read your audience and take cues from their questions about what level of product they are after is sorely missing from many members of this forum. I think its a social skill. Its almost comical how quickly the "ho ho you want this Ubiquiti enterprise grade router and all these seperate pro access points, don't forget your cloud key! You'll probably want one of their PoE switches too" lines start coming out.

Meanwhile, what the guy wanted was which mesh box system to purchase at best buy.

ANYWAY, I put my parents place on a Netgear Orbi system with one satellite. Blew away their single FiOS router's built in wifi and I have never once been called because it isn't working. Sold, I recommend that. Both "stations" have ethernet ports so you can wire devices up to them which is pretty handy.

I'm currently using the original Google mesh wifi but I was wondering if there was any better mesh wifi router that also has extra eathernet ports not a must becouse I have a hub but would be nice

eero pro wifi 6, 3 puck. Never have an issue again. I've used some of the others mentioned here, and eero was the only one that gave me no issues.

This mentality in general, being able to read your audience and take cues from their questions about what level of product they are after is sorely missing from many members of this forum. I think its a social skill. Its almost comical how quickly the "ho ho you want this Ubiquiti enterprise grade router and all these seperate pro access points, don't forget your cloud key! You'll probably want one of their PoE switches too" lines start coming out.

Meanwhile, what the guy wanted was which mesh box system to purchase at best buy.

ANYWAY, I put my parents place on a Netgear Orbi system with one satellite. Blew away their single FiOS router's built in wifi and I have never once been called because it isn't working. Sold, I recommend that. Both "stations" have ethernet ports so you can wire devices up to them which is pretty handy.
Orbis are pretty much buggy and crap systems. I had one, and glad I got rid of it, many feel the same on the netgear community, with all their firmware bugs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/eero/comments/k06eck/eero_pro_6_vs_orbi_753_real_experience/

I use AImesh between two Asus routers AC5300 as the main and a RT-68u as the secondary repeater "mesh" and it works absolutely flawlessly and took only a minute or two to setup. I have the secondary one connected by ethernet (I have my whole house wired up with ethernet).

One of my main uses for this was to have my google home devices on opposite ends of the house talk to eachother as though they were all on the same network and they do!

Of course, for me, one of the benefits of AImesh for me was that I already had the RT-68u and was upgrading, so I didn't have to buy any new hardware to make the mesh happen.

We use Cisco Meraki Access Points in my day job, but my cousin works for a bank and needed to improve the WiFi in his house for Zoom calls etc. I recommended him one of those Tenda three-packs, and he has been very happy with them. Much better than the stock Virgin router. So it really depends on your requirements.

Once you get in to Cisco, Ubiquiti etc you'll tend to find that the mesh WiFi access points are standalone units so your router/switching will be separate anyway in most cases.

It sounds like adding one of those solutions to your existing hub (and disabling WiFi on that) may be a good solution if you want 'business-grade' WiFi.

Back