Memory dilemma

U53r

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,

I have a bit of a memory dilemma. I want top upgrade to 32gb of ram, I currently have CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 on a Ryzen 3600X system.

When I purchased it I didn't realize that there were two versions of this ram, the one I have and CMK16GX4M2Z3200C16.

The Z version is supposed to always be Samsung B die and the B version (the one I have) people say is usually Hytnix.

The thing is, I think the B version I have is Samsung though it doesn't specify B die. The Manufacturer says Samsung and it just says 8gb/1 die but I'm assuming that's a Samsung B Die.

Now, I'm not sure if I should go for the same model I have and risk getting a Hynix version or go for the Z which is always B die.

There are a couple of other differences between them as well.

B version has SPD 2133 with minimum timings of 15-15-15-36-50
Z version has SPD 2666 with minimum timings of 18-18-18-43-61
They also have different read latency support, B up to 16T and Z up to 24T

That's all from Thaiphoon info, the tested speeds is 3200 and 16-18-18-35 on both.

So which is technically the better memory? I know the Z is supposed to be for AMD and people have good results with it. I've been OK with the B though I do get some strange stuttering sometimes but I'm not sure if that's due to the ram or not.

I may consider moving over to the Z version if that's a better option. I know people have really good results getting higher speeds and tighter timings with the Samsung B-die Z version so I'm not sure why the B version I have has different specs if it's the same memory module on there.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

If it posts its good. I'd just try to run with both sticks and see what happens. I've had mixed sets of memory in my computer for years with zero issues. My current 64GB is about as different as can be with one set being samsung, one set being hynix, one being dual rank and one being single rank.

Just try to run them at a slower speed to start, then bump up the voltage and see if its stable at the faster speed.

At the current cost for the ram kit you currently have you would be money ahead to sell them and buy the ones below:

CMK32GX4M2D3600C16​

The reason for suggesting these is because of the cost. You could always go for a BDIE kit but they command a premium as the chips have been phased out of production. The best way to go about this would be to check your motherboard QVL list and find a 32gb kit that would not break the bank. The only reason that I say this is because unmatched kits are hit or miss for compatibility, and you are leaving performance on the table with your cpu. Upgrading your ram to 3600mt/s would also give you a free cpu performance uplift.

P.S. There are better/cheaper brands out there than corsair you do not have to limit yourself to that brand.

Last edited:
There are other versions of Samsung memory other than B-die for DDR4, so it's NOT a safe assumption to say it's B-die. There are D-die in that configuration also (although, I'm not sure if D-die came in a 8gb/1 that long ago).

I agree with Enigma though. Just sell that and buy a matched set if you want 32GB, although, I don't give two shits about the QVL list as they are often (almost never) updated to reflect new RAM on the market after the release of the board. I think a 3600/C16 kit would be plenty, or even a 3600/C18 kit and then just manually tighten the timings (I did this with a cheap Timetec 32GB 3600 Hynix CJR kit on Amazon...I think I paid $110 for 32GB last year).

Unless you really, really like Corsair for some reason, I'd look elsewhere. Corsair's policy of changing ICCs and then changing the revision within the same model number is ridiculous. G.Skill for example almost always changes the model number so you know exactly what you're getting.

Thank you for the replies guys,

So I ordered one of the Z version in the hopes of getting a B-Die but I don't think I did. Thaiphoon doesn't specify the die, again, though this is 2666U speed grade instead of the 2133P downbin of my B version. It passmark's a tiny bit faster but nothing that would me a difference. I thought I would try bumping it up to 3600, if b-die can handle CAS 14 at 3200 it should have no problem at 3600 with CAS 16 so I just kept the profile the same and bumped it up. It wouldn't boot, had to reset bios. Maybe that wasn't the correct approach though, been a long time since I've messed with overclocking memory - for this very reason.

I did want to go for 4x8gb sticks just for aesthetics and I don't foresee ever needing to upgrade this machine past 32gb as I don't do video editing or anything like that.

Here is the Thaiphoon info of the Z version sticks I received, which I think are going back. Are there any 3600/C16 modules that you guys know play well with Ryzen and won't break the bank?

https://files.fm/thumb_show.php?i=ejn48wt5t

Edit:
Came across these, don't fit my case design that well but specs are good I think.
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX79875
Also these, a little cheaper but CL16, not sure if that would play well with Ryzen.
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX77584

Edit 2, it's really hard to find ram with tight timings, can't find anything really good so far.

Last edited:
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232905?Item=N82E16820232905

F4-3600C16D-32GTZR​

Guaranteed B-die and at a lower cost that what you have listed

Running a set of these see timings in sig... they are nice sticks... can get them up to 2000mhz on my setup however cannot get 2000mhz fclk without WHEA errors on my rig so went with tighter timings at a lower M/Ts
Man, I wish. This is Canada, the land of getting ripped off. $400 most places here, newegg.ca has them from an OK price but I avoid Newegg like the plague, nothing but problems, terrible return policy, paid shipping. I'll keep an eye out for these though, thank you for the recommendation.

Man, I wish. This is Canada, the land of getting ripped off. $400 most places here, newegg.ca has them from an OK price but I avoid Newegg like the plague, nothing but problems, terrible return policy, paid shipping. I'll keep an eye out for these though, thank you for the recommendation.
**I am sorry I did not realize that you were in canada.

If you cant afford/get bdie go for some Samsung E-Die it is a close second, it does not tighten up as good as Bdie but it will give you good gains. It can be had at a much more reasonable price.

**I am sorry I did not realize that you were in canada.

If you cant afford/get bdie go for some Samsung E-Die it is a close second, it does not tighten up as good as Bdie but it will give you good gains. It can be had at a much more reasonable price.
No worries, how does one go about spotting e-die? I wish manufacturers would include this as part of their specs.

Thank you again. I've been noticing more people talking about dual-rank memory lately. From what I understand if you are only populating 2 slots then dual rank is better and if you are populating all 4 then single is better? Or is one always preferable over the other?

No worries, how does one go about spotting e-die? I wish manufacturers would include this as part of their specs.
Thaiphoon Burner is the only way, Luck of the draw with what is under the heat spreaders.

Thank you again. I've been noticing more people talking about dual-rank memory lately. From what I understand if you are only populating 2 slots then dual rank is better and if you are populating all 4 then single is better? Or is one always preferable over the other?

Either Micron B or E would be comparable in performance with the former lagging slightly... IMO you cannot go wrong with Micron B vs E
Single rank is more favorable in running 4 slots eg 4x8gb dual rank is better eg 2x16gb.... it is really up to your preference. A 2 slot config is easier when it comes to OC/stability IMO. Dual Rank Per channel also does have a slight performance advantage Over Single Rank per channel.

There is a good write up Here

Thaiphoon Burner is the only way, Luck of the draw with what is under the heat spreaders.

Either Micron B or E would be comparable in performance with the former lagging slightly... IMO you cannot go wrong with Micron B vs E
Single rank is more favorable in running 4 slots eg 4x8gb dual rank is better eg 2x16gb.... it is really up to your preference. A 2 slot config is easier when it comes to OC/stability IMO. Dual Rank Per channel also does have a slight performance advantage Over Single Rank per channel.

There is a good write up Here
Thank you for the explanation, now I just have to try to snag one of these at a good price.

Well I ended up ordering 2 sets of BL2K8G36C16U4BL. It's only $10 more than 2x16gb and since you can't tell if you're going to get dual rank or not(plus a lot of reviews saying they got single rank) I figured 4x8 will get me the same results plus I get to fill all the slots.

Back