Memory Cooling?

Domingo

Fully [H]
So I just recently put together a new 8700K system and my RAM (Dominator Platinum) came with a separate cooler.
Is there really any point to such a thing? I went ahead and installed it, but it's a super tight fit next to my liquid loop. So much so that it's ever so slightly slightly angled. It's also loud no matter what fan settings I try.

Without running hours of tests with/without, is there much point to using such a thing? I've read there's no point in a few places, but they aren't necessarily "enthusiast" sites.

As far as I know modern RAM does not generate enough heat to need heatsinks/coolers. Like you, I would love to see some real data about RAM temps and needed cooling.

Yup. Modern ram nowadays don't need active cooling anymore. Heck they don't even get warm enough to justify the heatspeaders.

Unless you're benching for world records, ram coolers are obsolete. They do make wonderful coffee table conversation pieces.

I kinda figured as much, but that's good to know. The fact that the little cooler had blinking LED's all over it was a little bit of a red flag. I hate how tacky BYO stuff has become. I'll take it off and bust out 30 minutes of AIDA stability tests just for the hell of it tonight.

Sounds good to me! Run the AIDA till it hurtz! (y) I don't mind a little RGB that's tasteful and enhances the appearance of a new build, but RGB everything? That just gives me a headache. I had to disconnect the LED's from my fans. It was a but much and was overbearing.

Good luck and keep us posted!

even at 2v DDR4 still hardly gets warm, ram IC's do have a happy place with temps but this only matters if your putting 2V to them trying to get a top score benchmarking for daily use its totally pointless to cool the ram but you can if you want to there is no harm in it.

AIDA64 ran for 30 minutes with no issues. RAM is barely warm to the touch, overall mobo temps are probably a hair lower than they were before. Go figure.

Sweetness! That's a good sign that the mobo's temps are cooler. That setup will last for years. Enjoy it!

My box is open with no direct fan air. I wouldn't worry about memory temp unless the inside of your case get abnormally hot.

Yup. Modern ram nowadays don't need active cooling anymore. Heck they don't even get warm enough to justify the heatspeaders.

Unless you're benching for world records, ram coolers are obsolete. They do make wonderful coffee table conversation pieces.
Yup. Normal [H]er airflow should be all you need.

Back