Maximus IV GENE-Z in a FT03b!? No way! [*bandwidth cap warning*]

G.Skill Sniper 1600 CAS9 1.25V. My other kit is on loan to a friend, so I got to wait for it to come back before I can get a full 16GB crammed in there :p

Jeremy,
As a new gene-z owner just finishing my build, I was curious if there was a reason you were using the black ram slots as opposed to the red ones. In any case, thanks for posting so quickly after the release of the gene-z. It was actually this thread that gave the confidence to use the 1.25V G.Skill Sniper's myself since they aren't on the QVL and all. The FT03b on the other hand, well, let's just say, I don't think I'd have the patience for a build that tight. Like fr500 said, the cable routing looks really clean in the pics at least.
Nick

I think he said he was going to use 4 sticks, so all slots would be filled.

In terms of features, it has a LOT more USB ports on the back (well, just 4 extra :p), but that's really it in terms of extra features I can think of...

Maybe the slightly better PCIe allocation from the chipset that doesn't cut off one pair of USB ports based on it's (it's complicated) PCIe lane allocation system the P8P67-M Pro has.

An ASUS rep did state some 240-250W (I don't recall which) power circuitry for the CPU on the Maximus IV GENE-Z...

Also, the m4g has a BIOS reset switch on the back, along with one extra eSATA over the P8P67-M Pro (however, both eSATA are not hot pluggable in the current BIOS :(), which have been useful for me.

That's about all I can think of in terms of my useage of both boards. :( I'm sorry! I'm not really thinking right now.

Pitbull - I Know You Want Me

Pitbull is despicable.
/thread

Pitbull is despicable.
/thread

I cannot let you kill this thread (besides, we had to dance to that song for quite some time, lol).

So.... update :D Images are, again, clickable.

Shot of the case where it rests, the while cabinet is what it normally is hidden behind (which is also why there is a cardboard box underneath - so the top of the case is about level with the cabinet). There is no dust in the imaged filter due to... well... my OCD cleaned it before I could allow for it to be photographed. It was bad enough I had to clear out, and there is still a dust taste in my mouth several hours later.

This is about 3 months of no cleaning, and some use. My finger did brush the upperside of the right filter as I was lifting the case. The left filter is trying to filter a Gentle Typhoon AP13 at full blast (have the AP15s sitting in the cabinet - the lack of voltage fan control on the ASUS MaxIV GENE-Z prevents me from acceptably using any faster/louder fans :(). The right, a Corsair AX850.

I'm actually rather proud of myself. I've managed to keep this system intact (mostly; I've installed a Happauge HDMI capture card a while ago) since the first post in this thread. And that, for me, is a standing record for how long I've managed to use the same system without... modifying it severely.

looks a proper dustbin

lol, it does :( That's why it's hidden :D

Since I reassemebled it, the HDD-side panel rattles under HDD load. So... now I got to find out what's up, lol :p Probably just a cable that's jammed inbetween a HDD and the side panel.

Alright, I found most of the old pics and reuploaded them. I hope you enjoy a post from when Atech and I were bickering over Nvidiots and Radeon drivers.

Back