mATX to ITX, "S" FF build advice

Ruiner

2[H]4U
I've been rocking a heavily modded (total 4 120cm fans) very old Antec nsk3480 case since at least socket 775 days and it's time to rebuild.
Current case is smallish by current mATX standards, 14x14x8" (~24.5L), with a separate chamber for PSU and storage.

I'd like to keep my ATX Silverstone x560 Gold (160x150mm and probably overkill for 1 gpu) and Accellero Mono Plus cooled RX480 (possibly upgrading to a lower sku Vega in the future, if such an animal ever exists for a decent price). Current cpu cooler is a 212 clone, the Scythe Kotetsu (160mm tall), which I'd like to keep but will need an AM4 bracket kit for so that's optional. The Mono is wide, extending past the gpu to about as high as the Kotetsu, and extends past the gpu to about 200mm long, and besides being 2 slots thick, needs at least a third for ventilation. I have 2 2.5" drives and will be ditching optical.

New build will probably be R5 2600x, perhaps minor OC. Silence is a priority, at least when idle/surfing. 1080p 144Hz Freesync gaming rig.

The limiting factor is the GPU cooler, apparently for ITX solutions, where most have 2 slot limits. Most of the current mATX cases are notably larger.

Are there any ITX solutions I'm missing?

Thinking of staying mATX and the Raijintek Styx, but with the PSU facing forward and extra holes dremmeled for it (the default vents from case interior). That would only drop me 1" in height but still retain 4x120mm ventilation.
The Matis would probably require an SFX psu, but I could probably mod it for better ventilation.

http://www.cooltek.de/en/jonsbo/u-series/92/u3 (also under the name Jonsbo U3)

This is an mATX chassis at 20.8L supporting 175mm high cooler so I think the video card height won't be a problem and supports up to 10.2" video cards which sounds like you are below.

Same as your current chassis saving space by shaving off the front disks.

Also look at the Sugo SG10.

You will not find a small ITX case with this many slots and 160mm+ CPU cooler support. That'll be an mATX case.

Last edited:
Not exactly sure what advice you are looking for here.

If you are looking to downsize to a smaller case I would have plenty of recommendations. If you want something truly small, you will probably have to ditch some of your current ATX components.

Here's a cheap "small case" that could work for you. You might be able to,keep your ATX PSU in this one. Not sure about the CPU cooler

Case: Cougar CBX

Isn't that case you linked an nCase M1 knockoff?
Yep I prefer my M1, but not everyone has the money to spend for it. Plus, if the OP wants to keep their ATX PSU the QBX would work better.

Ncase is far superior imo, but the QBX works too

Yep I prefer my M1, but not everyone has the money to spend for it. Plus, if the OP wants to keep their ATX PSU the QBX would work better.

Ncase is far superior imo, but the QBX works too

The QBX is a solid choice. I've seen it in person in a few builds at my old job, and it's nicer than it seems for the price. It's actually fairly premium all else considered. You can tell where they cut corners (internal cables etc) but for the price for ITX it's a great option.

As an Ncase M1 user too, Ncase M1 or Dancase A4 if you really want to go ITX, given you're already in a 'good size' m-atx.

You'd probably need to change your cooler/GPU and CPU cooler..

Thanks, all excellent recommendations that didn't make my radar at the time of the OP and may have made it into the build. I ended up going with an SS Fortress FT03 off ebay with my current parts (for now). Overall volume is greater but with a smaller front/back footprint and nice construction and cooling. Going full ITX will be easiest with different components, as I expected.
From the preliminary reviews, the mATX boards have become the budget lines, at least as far as power delivery is concerned, so I may end up with an ITX board after all.

First off, the Cougar QBX does NOT support ATX power supplies that are longer than 140mm. There is a metal tab that sticks out from the side that supports the PSU and limits the length. If you wanted to cut that off I suppose you could fit a longer PSU in, but then it would be questionable if you could still fit a full length graphics card in there.

I have built 2 systems in the QBX. There are a very few, specific ATX power supplies that will work with it. Even if you find an ATX power supply that is short enough, the orientation of the power plug can interfere and make it so you can’t plug in the power extender cable.

It’s a nice little case, and the people I built the systems for loved them, but just like the earlier posters, I prefer my Ncase M1. It has a similar layout, but the fact that the QBX can’t use 2 fans on a 240mm radiator, or the fact that it can’t use 2x120mm closed loop coolers, or even just put 2 intake fans on the side (and so many more details) make this case a completely different beast.

Sorry I can’t provide much in terms of helpful suggestions for a case for you. If you were willing to leave behind mATX motherboards and ATX PSUs, I would have more suggestions.

Have you thought about a Cerberus? MicroATX, ATX PSU and although it doesn't officially support it if you look at this post here the user was able to fit a Scythe Fuma rev. B in the case.

Thanks, all excellent recommendations that didn't make my radar at the time of the OP and may have made it into the build. I ended up going with an SS Fortress FT03 off ebay with my current parts (for now). Overall volume is greater but with a smaller front/back footprint and nice construction and cooling. Going full ITX will be easiest with different components, as I expected.
From the preliminary reviews, the mATX boards have become the budget lines, at least as far as power delivery is concerned, so I may end up with an ITX board after all.
EDIT: Speaking strictly ITX here, not mATX
Generally speaking, the Asus X370,X470,Z370 boards are your best bet. To my knowledge they all have full 6 phase VRMs while all the competition is either a doubled 3 phase VRM or a 4 phase VRM. (I think MSI's AM4 ITX board might have a 6 phase VRM as well)

If you are looking at X299, Asrock's ITX board is a beast there and has a good VRM too.

Last edited:
Yes, thanks. Decent VRM looks to be much more common on full ATX and ITX, and not available on mATX offerings. So ITX board in a mATX case looks like a solution unless I dump one or more of my current big parts: ATX psu, tower cooler, or extra wide GPU cooler.

Here I thought the TR4 didn't fit ITX and the only option is mATX or full ATX -- the ASRock X399M Taichi is by no means a budget board.

EDIT: Speaking strictly ITX here, not mATX
Generally speaking, the Asus X370,X470,Z370 boards are your best bet. To my knowledge they all have full 6 phase VRMs while all the competition is either a doubled 3 phase VRM or a 4 phase VRM. (I think MSI's AM4 ITX board might have a 6 phase VRM as well)

If you are looking at X299, Asrock's ITX board is a beast there and has a good VRM too.

Here I thought the TR4 didn't fit ITX and the only option is mATX or full ATX -- the ASRock X399M Taichi is by no means a budget board.

I think you are confusing the Intel X299 platform with the AMD X399 platform...

And the OP only has mentioned the Ryzen R5 2600X, not Threadripper...

While we all wish that Threadripper was available on an ITX board, there is just not enough space...

I was reacting to "Decent VRM looks to be much more common on full ATX and ITX, and not available on mATX offerings." but perhaps it was meant in the context of X299 platform. Peace. :)

Back