Mates, need 5g advice.

UltraTaco

Limp Gawd
Taco has 4g LTE phone from Verizon wireless. I've seen they offer 5g plans now. Should taco consider upgrading? Is it worth the hassle? How is penetration vs tried nd tested 4g? Is the service in wooded areas nd buildings worse or better? Also congestion..

Also throttling, is it just as bad? Taco is experiencing heavy throttling all the time on prepaid(peasant) plan.

Thank you!!🤗

Slight off topic. Why do you always refer to yourself in the third person? I see it in alot of your threads?

Probably not worth it. 5G is the biggest load of crap right now as unless you live right next to a tower, and receive the 5G mm band, 4G is just as good with better range. Taco needs to examine the phone, the coverage and the plan closely.

If you buy a phone every 2 years, then I would say no, don't bother with 5g.
If you buy a phone every 5 years then it might be worth considering. As 2+ years from now there will be more 5G penetration. However even in this case it's probably only worth it to do if you're buying a flagship phone that covers all of the 5G spectrum because there is no way to really predict what the service level will be and what will get rolled out.

5G is mostly marketing BS unless you are in specific areas of popular cities.

I recently got a 5G phone and the speed isn't really all that much better than 4G.

But it's still decent if you're getting a new phone anyhow, I just wouldn't upgrade just for 5G.

At this point it’s a waste of money. Especially on prepaid.

I use Verizon prepaid, but the top tier $60 or whatever unlimited plan. I read on multiple sources there is no throttling anymore for this plan prepaid. May want to consider paying more monthly if it doesn’t throttle...

Here's mid-band 5G on Tmo that I did last weekend. Outside of grabbing an audiobook in seconds, the day-to-day experience is the same with decent LTE. On FirstNet I get about 200Mb/sec on LTE-A ("5Ge") at home. Not a huge difference for everyday use.

What's lost in the "should I upgrade my phone" question is the age of the current phone and the radio capabilities - TMo for example rolled out a lot of 600MHz spectrum, but if you have an older phone, you're not going to have access to B66, etc. The coverage is there, you simply can't use it. Regardless of 4/5G, you're missing out. For this reason alone, staying halfway updated with your phone is important for the best coverage.

1607147004353.png

Yeah, 5G (the new MM wave band) is very fast, very short range and blocked by paper/glass/your hand. Never going to be more than a parlor trick. 5G the network improvements on existing bands will create slightly higher throughput and available virtual channels, but isn't going to be important for another year or two (unless you like in a tech center). But 5G on the lower frequency bands will be the best (imho) improvements - almost 4G speeds through brick walls and at long range.

Still not upgrading my Onepluss 6T for a while. :ROFLMAO:

Back