Massive's iCore7 SLI GTX 260 rig:

The HR01+ dimensions are L110 x W60 x H159.

There is roughy 12mm clearance between my power supply and the side of the heat sink. There is even less clearance between the 120x25mm fan and the modded hard drive rail. This leaves a heat sink that is 66mm wide at most with additional modding.

The Length is actually smaller than a 120mm fan and this leaves very little room for the SATA data/power cables even with my hard drive cage relocation mod.

To fit a TRUE, you would have to relocate your hard drives to the 5-1/4" bays or 3-1/2" bay, hope it clears your optical drive if you have one, and forego using your innermost RAM slots.

Looking at it now a Xigmatek Dark Knight will fit, but you would have to perform some nifty sata cable routing.

I forgot to add, this is with the RampageII Gene board. If you use another board, your results may vary as the CPU socket location may vary.

Last edited:
Hey Massive, did you mod that chrome piece surrounding the USB ports at the bottom of the faceplate? It looks like it has a different "frosted" type texture in addition to the shiny chrome portion. I just got this case yesterday and my chrome panel is 100% shiny--and it looks awful, I hate it. I can live with how cheap the rest of the case is, but that part is really an eyesore. Yours doesn't look to bad though...

Nah, it's just the angle of the picture. I removed mine and was going to sand it and paint it, but I got lazy and left it.

to clarify, you're saying a TRUE would fit as long as you place the hard drives in the bay locations?

to clarify, you're saying a TRUE would fit as long as you place the hard drives in the bay locations?

and you didn't have an optical drive or anything other than hard drives in the 5-1/4" bays. The hard drives would have to be mounted via adapters and not hot-swap enclosures.

Since both side panels are meshed, having the fan pull hot air out the side works fine. My load temps running LinX are about 76-80C. I transferred all my stuff to my new case by Lan Gear.

excellent set up. gj. the chiefmax/microfly case is what i'm wanting/looking at. i have a few questions about your build in regards to 'accessories'. the parts i've decided on so far are:

- i7 920
- evga x58 matx (same size/cpu/gpu placements as the rampage gene ii that i can tell from pics)
- gigabyte 260 super overclock
- g.skill ddr3 1600
- hr-01 plus cooler
- either 1 ssd or 1 sata 3.5 or 2.5 hdd

now from comparing your parts/sizes with what i'm looking at, theoretically, it should all fit. however, i couldn't find any specs/details on the 700w silverstone psu you are using. someone else mentioned they used a corsair hx620 but i was wondering if you could provide a link to the silverstone or recommend something with less of a cable bending hassle (unless the hx620 is not really a hassle). oh and as far as the accessories, how many different (120mm/70mm/etc) cooling fans were you able to shove into this thing and did you use any noise dampening kits, etc. i made some notes on the hard drive placement, mb insertion, etc, but is there any suggestions/recommendation you would add if you had to do this again?

oh yeah, is this thing really only 9" tall?

Last edited:
Thanks Szandor,

Here's a link to the power supply from Newegg, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256045

This is the short cable kit I used:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=25261&zenid=2866e821f8cccfe61623f1962c2c33ae

I didn't use any noise dampening kits, just motherboard fan control.

I've used Arctic Cooling Pro, TR Ultima 90, HR01+, Masscool 8WA741, and Xigmatek HDT-S963 heat sinks on various boards.

I will be doing a new mini log for my 'new' build using the same components in Lan Gear's Da Box once all the replacement parts come in. The dimensions between the Lan Gear (I refuse to call it Da Box other than the initial reference because I hate the name) and the Micro Fly are nearly identical with the faceplate on the Lan Gear being slimmer, thus causing the case to be slightly shorter in depth than the Micro Fly.

There's not much I can change to the Micro Fly (Chieftec) than what you see in this build for cooling/configuration changes. I've had plenty of practice modding this chasis if you look back through my build logs from the first iteration of this model with the original Aspire X-QPack1 to now. I've easily have done 20-30 builds with this case and the only other venture I have is to stuff a 120x2 radiator, which can be done........internally. The 3-1/2" bay would be lost to make this happen.

I won't stop using the Micro Fly as it's only 60 bucks compared to 180 for the Lan Gear for budget case builds, but for my hard core builds, I'll be using the Lan Gear from now on as it requires little modification to install top-of-the-line cooling. The Lan Gear needs some polishing up, which Mattinv is getting a handle on, but the only other drawback to the Lan Gear vs the Micro Fly is that the Lan gear is limited on storage configuration, which is the price you pay for being able to fit just about any tower heat sink. For your build, this wouldn't be an issue. For me, my work clone uses at least 3 3.5" hard drives and another 2 hot-swap, which I would not be able to put into the Lan Gear.

Yes, the case is roughly 9" tall.

Just signed up after seeing this thread (and MO's previous builds). Great work. Fantastic to see.

I just completed a similar build, and thought I would mention that the new TR Venomous-X fits a treat in the Microfly variants (I have the Gene II as well). Not sure how it compares size-wise to the HR01 you spec above (EDIT: at 127 x 63 x 160, it's 17mm wider - 8.5mm from center - and only 3mm deeper), but the performance on my 920 is stellar.

I had cut a hole in my side windows for the CPU and GPU coolers, but am now gonna order up some mesh since your setup looks so clean.

Thanks for the great pics and ideas!

Cheers

Thanks for the compliments politbureau. I would love to see pics of your Venomous X in the case. What are your cpu temps running?

I'm debating on getting the Venomous X for my Lan Gear.

I'll try and snap some pics this evening after work. Fit is quite roomy, with about 8mm between the HS and PSU. I only run a single SSD + HDD and no optical drive, so I relocated to the front bays and ditched the bracket.

The innermost RAM slot is unusable, but I use G.Skill Trident's, which are quite high.

I'm running a moderate overclock of 3.6 @ 1.27, and CPU temps are great - I'm using a really sweet Sanyo Denkei fan I picked up (somewhere), on a little zalman fanmate. At 'silent' speeds (about halfway on the dial, maybe ~7-9v), I'd say it idles in mid 30s and loads in high 60s. I tweaked the controller so it never sees >=70, since that seems kinda scary :)

It doesn't scale very well tho, and at high speed I'd guess idle is about the same, and load is low-mid 60s. I imagine a large problem is airflow restrictions within the case.

Did you have recommendations on the benefit of additional fans? I was hoping to cool down my second GTX280 since it's a good 15+ degrees hotter than the outside one.

EDIT: Just wondering how you like the Lan Gear so far as well? I can't get them here in Canaduh (w/o some serious duties), but they look pretty spacious, and I'd likely have room for an optical drive. Plus I really like the look of the fan over the video cards - might help with the GTX temps as I mentioned above.

Cheers

Last edited:
Yep, my inside GTX275 runs about 10C hotter than the outer in the MF. The cards definately run cooler in the Lan Box, but I haven't used the rig much since getting my Aspire 1410 and moving into the new house (busy busy busy). Meshing the side panel is about the best thing you can do to keep all temps down.

The biggest thing that I miss from moving from to the Lan Box from the MF is losing easy access to my hard drives and not being to install as many, but that's the price you pay to have room for a nice cooler I guess. I'm going to go with an external esata storage device eventually anyways, so I guess the point is moot.

That's an impressive cram into a small box. I'm attempting a similar cram into a similar box. Might be possible to fit a Megahalems, although not without a LOT more hacksaw action.

Thanks Edwood...........Heatsink is the reason why I'm moving to MOM by LanGear. No major hacking to do and it will take just about any cooling solution short of dual or larger radiators. I'll probably go to DAS or NAS to support my VM's since disk storage is LanGear's only major flaw (can't have your cake and eat it too, and most peeps don't really need more than 1-2 hard drives).

Ah CRAAAAAP! That could've saved me a lot of work. Da Box 100 is perfect!!!!

What's "MOM"?

-Ed

Last edited:
Da Box is the abomination of a name that Matthieu (owner of Lan Gear) decided to go with for that case. I refuse to use it. It will always be MOM to me (Massive Overkill Micro/Mini)

That LanGear case is awesome, but I am not sure it is $170 awesome! I DO like the full height pull out tray....

just finished building my htpc with minor changes to the cpu. got an i7-860 from a buddy that got an extra one from newegg by mistake. which meant changing to an 1156 mb. here's the parts i ended up with in case other are looking for ideas and what will fit, etc:

-Ultra ULT33117 MicroFly MicroATX Desktop PC Case
-GIGABYTE GV-N26SO-896I GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card (Built-In HDMI)
-Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
-EVGA 121-LF-E652-KR LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
-Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 996782 (CL7)
-PLEXTOR Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal BD Combo Model PX-B320SA LightScribe Support
-Scythe Big Shuriken SCBSK-1000 120mm CPU Cooler
-CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
-Pulled 160gb 7200 sata 2.5" laptop drive
-Tuniq TX-2 Thermal Compound

it was a tight fit but it all goes in there (inserts obligatory, that's what she said). i went with the scythe big shuriken so i could pull the motherboard tray out without having to remove the cpu cooler so it's just a matter of disconnecting cables. i went overboard on the video card (well, not to mention all the other parts) but i wanted a card with an hdmi port and it wasn't much more than the 250 gts i was looking at. xmp profile offers 1600mhz 7-8-7. the only problem i had was installing windows 7 ultimate rc 7100. video drivers caused the system to hang at starting windows as well as other places during the install. i had to install vista ultimate for the time being. however, i may install ubuntu 10.04 as it appears the nvidia drivers have been updated sometime back where you can now correct over/under scan by resizing the desktop. total cost minus rebates, half priced cpu, and bargain shopping was $652 until i bought the blu-ray player which brought my end build total to $733.

thanks again for this thread, it really helped planning out my htpc.

Back