MassiveOverkill's Micro Fly take......

Here ya go:

MeshBackSide.jpg

I just took some old 80mm fans, gutted them and used them as an air tunnel mated to an aluminum 80mm fan to get the fan closer to better cool my RAM. I've since removed it, but I may put her back in (was being lazy as I swap out hardware every 3-6 months).

Wow that was a fast response to a moldy-old thread.

If I may ask one more question, it looks like you have some kind of clear plastic partition hanging off of your PSU, what is that for?

I'm working on my own Micro Fly. I have a thread in the SFF forum. I'm going to put pics up as soon as I get home from work.

That's an air re-director, forces air from the side panel to go around my video card and pass by the RAM, NB, and HS instead of directly over the video card and straight out the back where it can't do anything.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I bought a Zalman 8700 for my MicroFly yesterday and it worked pretty good. Although it was a tight fit with my mobo. One question though, are you running stock air flow direction with the power supply and the back fan? I'm wondering what the best direction for those would be.

nice 260GTX btw, I'm planning to pick one up to replace my 8800GT, but I'm worried about temps.

If you have the side-panel mesh like I do, then you want the stock fan direction. If you don't, then you may see improved CPU temps by reversing the 120mm exhaust so it blows in.

wow, i am amazed by how much you managed to stuff into your micro-fly! makes my old 7800gt sli with the evga nforce-4 motherboard microfly build look spacious!

Thanks Massive, you've inspired me to do some work on my Microfly. I bought a Zalman 8700 and couldn't be happier with the results so far. Temps hover around 50C during video conversion.

Have you tried putting a GF 260GTX in a Microfly? The faq says it won't fit, but I see you have 2 in your other config. Or is that b/c you have that ChiefTec case now? I have an 8800GT like you had originally and now it's starting to show it's age.:(

Thanks Discobob, the Chieftec is identical to the Micro Fly except for the front panel. You'll have to do some cutting to get SLI'd cards to fit because of the power PCI-E power stalks, but if you're only using 1 card, you may be able to get by without cutting depending on how stiff your wires are.

Meh, since I have the solid side panels and not the clear window side panels, I called ultra to find out where I could buy some. No go, they don't carry them and I haven't been able to find a retailer online that has them. Plus, I really don't want to spend more $$ on a new case when I could use the money to buy a better power supply.

Back