Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy

that's not cherry picking, that's a fact...you just don't like admitting you were wrong
read my whole post jackass. Both of em, in fact any or all of them, because you never do which is why you are always wrong.

On the surface this game looks good, but does the combat ever get better? It is essentially makes you hold down shift and then hit a key like 5 or 4, which is just an awful default setting. You can change it up but you'd think of something better out of the box. Its practically impossible to dodge and select a useful attack. Things like charging up a powerful shot are needlessly difficult. Most games tap = shoot, hold = charge. This is tap, tap, then hold. In practice it seldom works.

Aside from that and occasional stutters the game is fairly good. I'm just hoping the gameplay part picks up.

It controls fine with a controller. Given the control scheme of this game I can’t imagine playing it with mouse and keyboard. It just wouldn’t be good. The design is intended for a controller with this game.

It controls fine with a controller. Given the control scheme of this game I can’t imagine playing it with mouse and keyboard. It just wouldn’t be good. The design is intended for a controller with this game.

Yeah I've figured that out the hard way. I'm about 6 hours into the same so far and not sure if I want to relearn the controls though. Enemies do get more interesting, but the keyboard scheme by default is just not good. Small amounts of stuttering in some scenes but aside from that the game is pretty good.

I've stuck with the controller. I like the combat but I've had to be patient and learn some of the wrinkles and nuances. Overall I'm very happy with this game.

Finally beat it today. Got about 22 hours out of it. Was a blast the entire way through, and everything, including the credits, were well done. I had two crash to desktops in those 22 hours, and those were the only bugs I had w/ maxed out raytracing @ 4k.

I really appreciated how everything in this game was rendered real-time. Not that lame shit like COD where it feels like playing a Sega CD game with all the FMV.

Also, by the end of it, I thought this game captured the relevant source material far better than the movies do.

I'd love to see a second game by this same developer, but I doubt we'll see it given the apparent poor sales. Really sad.

I didn't have an issue with mouse and keyboard in this game. The UI is definitely controller first, though. Otherwise it wasn't an issue.

The game only had some minor issues for me. PC combat scheme could've been better. Otherwise it was a nice experience. Very guided, story based. Reminds me of a time when games tried to be fun and not offer lists of fetch quests and upgrades buried under upgrades. It isn't exceptionally great, but it never lets up. Always something going on that is at least moderately interesting. Character bantering. Diverse maps even if linear. Stuff like that. Most games these days have so much filler that this felt refreshing.

The game only had some minor issues for me. PC combat scheme could've been better. Otherwise it was a nice experience. Very guided, story based. Reminds me of a time when games tried to be fun and not offer lists of fetch quests and upgrades buried under upgrades. It isn't exceptionally great, but it never lets up. Always something going on that is at least moderately interesting. Character bantering. Diverse maps even if linear. Stuff like that. Most games these days have so much filler that this felt refreshing.

how long did it take to finish?...are there any optional side missions?

The game (for me) suffers from a bit of boss-itis. Right now I'm at Knowhere and I'm stuck by myself against these two brute brother bounty hunters. I get that I'm supposed to separate them and attack one at a time in theory but so far no good. This sort of scenario is one of the weaknesses of this game for me.

how long did it take to finish?...are there any optional side missions?

About 20 hours according to how long to beat. I'd say it was about that long. No side missions really, but there is a space station where you can walk around a bit. There is dialogue which you can ship in the ship, but I don't really consider that optional. So no real side missions. It is a very linear game. Which isn't a bad thing. The focused nature of it helped it greatly.

The game (for me) suffers from a bit of boss-itis. Right now I'm at Knowhere and I'm stuck by myself against these two brute brother bounty hunters. I get that I'm supposed to separate them and attack one at a time in theory but so far no good. This sort of scenario is one of the weaknesses of this game for me.

Just keep dodging them, you'll see a cutscene which will allow you to do damage. After that keep damaging them. Only took me a few minutes. I died the first time because I was confused as well, but fairly straight forward.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I grabbed this on the Steam sale after reading this thread.

I usually steer as far away from super hero games as possible, but this is a legitimately fun game so far. Just finished the first chapter.

I picked this up on PS5 before Thanksgiving break since I was going to be away from home (and my PC) that week and wanted to play it while away in our cabin and so the fam can watch it as well since it plays like a movie basically anyways. It was the same price on PSN as Steam I think at around $38 at the time.

The combat does start out pretty generic and basic, but it gets strategic enough with all the added weapon elements (ice, wind, heat, etc.) and also all the teammate's special moves you can stack onto enemies for maximum effectiveness. I can't imagine playing this game on kb&m being nearly as comfortable to play as with any controller too, so def use a controller on PC if you play there, as accuracy isn't an issue with the lock-on system and quick target switching it has.

I thought the story and dialog was every bit as good, if not better than what I remembered from the GotG movies. They cut up the slapstick humor enough with more serious bits and I like how reactive the character's dialog is to things you do on-screen, like when you decide to explore around instead of taking the story path and they nag you for getting distracted or whatever. Though I can see how some people find that annoying and also the constant dialog as you're progressing together, but I've always liked that method of storytelling as it seems more organic than limiting all dialog to mostly cutscenes.

The campaign was like 22 hours for me I think, which I take my time to explore a lot and find all the collectables along the way. Played on normal difficulty I think and it was pretty easy, so think I'll play it again on NG+ on the hardest difficulty and maybe go for the Platinum trophy on it if there's not any stupid speedrun requirement or something too repetitive to do.

Overall I think this game played like a Mass Effect Lite; not nearly as in-depth as ME overall (for story/lore, character diversity and complexity, and it's much more linear than even ME2 was) with how well the characters were written, much more limited dialog options (and limited consequences to them), and with how you regroup on your ship after every level and can interact with your crew differently each time like you do in ME. And anything along the same vein as ME automatically gets me interested and is a recipe for fun IMO. The only real nitpicks I have are the occasional graphical bugs I witnessed (bad collision and missing effects in some spots) and sometimes the dialog can run on a bit too much while in game-play for my liking (I enjoyed most of it, but some seemed a bit too forced and excessive just to fill a void of silence). It doesn't have quite the polish as say a Naughty Dog game, but this is still a 8.5/10 game for me at least.

Overall I think this game played like a Mass Effect Lite; not nearly as in-depth as ME overall (for story/lore, character diversity and complexity, and it's much more linear than even ME2 was) with how well the characters were written, much more limited dialog options (and limited consequences to them), and with how you regroup on your ship after every level and can interact with your crew differently each time like you do in ME.

That is exactly what I thought as well.

I’m a little late to the party with this one, but having just finished it I must say it‘s a highlight of the last couple years of gaming. 10/10.

Maybe the best comic book to video game adaptation ever made, it’s just spot on. Rocksteady’s Batman games and Wolverine: Origins would tie it up for my top 3. Okay, Okay, Wolverine: Origins is technically an adaptation of the dogshit movie, but Wolverine has never been done better.

Holy shit I fixed my performance issues!!! For those who recall, I was complaining about low GPU usage (sometimes as low as 40%) resulting in absolutely horrendous frame rates despite having a 9900k and a 3080 Ti.

You know what it was? CPU C-States. I had to disable C-States in the BIOS and it fixed everything! Now I have 100% GPU usage with butter smooth frame rates.

Would I enjoy this game have never watched/looked at anything guardians related, i dont know any lore or even who any of the characters are.

That's the best part about this game, it does the original source material better than the movies do.
After i finish God of War i'm gonna give this Guardians of the galaxy a go I guess. Anyone have any tips etc. Is everyone useing a mouse an K/B or what controller do you recommend?

After i finish God of War i'm gonna give this Guardians of the galaxy a go I guess. Anyone have any tips etc. Is everyone useing a mouse an K/B or what controller do you recommend?
Been using an Xbox one controller for years on PC.

Just managed to finish it. I really had a blast with this one, definitely recommend it to those on the fence. Got it on Epic's sale and really glad i did. Has a few minor bugs here and there but nothing major to spoil the enjoyment.

Guardians of the Galaxy Underperformed in Sales

According to a recent quarterly earnings report, Guardians of the Galaxy publisher Square Enix claims that the game underperformed in its launch sales...the company wrote in its report that "the game’s sales on launch undershot our initial expectations"... however, sales have grown since November 2021, likely caused by people picking up on all the critical praise the game was getting...

https://gamerant.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-underperformed-sales/

Square-Enix is never satisfied with the sales performance of their games unless it's a Final Fantasy game.

This is such a surprise, especially after all the goodwill they built up from the Avengers.

GoTG received way better reviews and is the better game by far...unfortunately people didn't notice because of the Avengers debacle...this will sell well over time as more sales and word of mouth spreads

GoTG received way better reviews and is the better game by far...unfortunately people didn't notice because of the Avengers debacle...this will sell well over time as more sales and word of mouth spreads
Yep I was put off this game at first thinking it was just Avengers reskined. I was wrong and was pleasantly surprised playing after good praises from people on here.

i think braamer's comment was meant sarcastically lol, but yeah, what happened with avengers definitely had an impact on GoTG, unfortunately for the GoTG devs. i predict that GoTG will become a very steady seller in the $7.50 to $15 sales range where it will sell oodles of copies for years.

I think people are missing the important part that S-E was disappointed at the initial sales. They went on to state that the game saw steady growth through the following month. This game did have a good word-of-mouth that spread across the internet. There are some people in this thread who bought the game based on feedback here.

I think people are missing the important part that S-E was disappointed at the initial sales. They went on to state that the game saw steady growth through the following month. This game did have a good word-of-mouth that spread across the internet. There are some people in this thread who bought the game based on feedback here.
I am sure SE is still salty cause those sales were at a huge discount and not $60. I paid like $25 for my PS5 copy.

I hope the sales pick up. It is a good game. Really it is something you can pick up and enjoy without spending so much time tracking down upgrades, or other side stuff. I hope it does well so we see some more focused single player story driven games in the future.

I hope the sales pick up. It is a good game. Really it is something you can pick up and enjoy without spending so much time tracking down upgrades, or other side stuff. I hope it does well so we see some more focused single player story driven games in the future.
Well SE has been burning bridges with fans recently. There is like zero hype for the 2 games coming out in March from them. All they have is FFXIV.

Well SE has been burning bridges with fans recently. There is like zero hype for the 2 games coming out in March from them. All they have is FFXIV.

What are you talking about? No one really cares about Strangers but there is definitely hype behind Triangle Strategy.

Back