Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy

Played through the opening mission. It is quite fun so far. The voice acting and dialog are superb, game looks good, animations are surprisingly well done. May be in my running for GOTY if this keeps up.

I've been mulling it about:

Is it the first game to actually take the emotional and relationship state of five individuals seriously enough as a mechanic that it can be considered groundbreaking?

Now, granted- it is simplistic, and at times, can be exceptionally reductive enough to see the cracks- and it is in no way perfect in the representation of multiple, actual complex relationship dynamics. But if anything, it's the first game that while rolling my eyes at the dialogue I have not felt the burning desire to fast forward or skip what the characters have to say to each other, almost to the point that I don't stray too far from the characters so that I can keep hearing what they have to say to each other. I also am compelled to try not being a total dick when I choose my dialogue responses.

I've been mulling it about:

Is it the first game to actually take the emotional and relationship state of five individuals seriously enough as a mechanic that it can be considered groundbreaking?

Now, granted- it is simplistic, and at times, can be exceptionally reductive enough to see the cracks- and it is in no way perfect in the representation of multiple, actual complex relationship dynamics. But if anything, it's the first game that while rolling my eyes at the dialogue I have not felt the burning desire to fast forward or skip what the characters have to say to each other, almost to the point that I don't stray too far from the characters so that I can keep hearing what they have to say to each other. I also am compelled to try not being a total dick when I choose my dialogue responses.
Some of it is kind of cringeworthy, but I have been enjoying the interactive banter during the chapters. I also found the huddle mechanic whenever the party is downed to be interesting. I am intrigued to see if and how you develop Quill as a leader will play out through the rest of the game.

Speaking of HDR, one complaint I have with the game is that the in-game calibration settings do not have a wide enough range to support the brightness of my PG27UQ. This seems to be a worrying trend. It seems to work fine on the FO48U.

Another thing that should be pointed out is the extensive difficulty options that can be customized. The difficulty setting is a preset for a set of 15 or so individual settings that can be tweaked to your liking. It was overwhelming seeing it at first, and not having played the game before I just used the normal preset. I kind of like seeing the player given this kind of control over how they can play the game.

Also, if you don't like the QTE know that there is a setting to "auto win" them in the accessibility options like a lot of newer games do.

More updates on my frame rate issues:

- In-game benchmark runs great (100% GPU usage)
- Photo mode runs great (100% GPU usage)
- Pause menu runs great (100% GPU usage)
- Reading in-game logs runs great (100% GPU usage)
- Actual gameplay runs horrendous (60% GPU usage, 30-55 fps)

I also found that the first 5 seconds or so after loading a save runs great (100% GPU usage). But then it drops to 60% GPU usage and frame rate tanks.

Also tried swapping my OLED for a no frills 60 Hz monitor without gsync. No difference.

Also tried rolling back to the previous Nvidia driver. No difference.

It's gotta be the most bizarre issue I've ever seen. How do all of those modes listed above run so great and then once I switch to gameplay it runs so horribly?

I'm so bummed out. Thousands of dollars in computer hardware and a PS4 runs this game better than my PC.

I'm very curious if Denuvo is causing this. I'd love to try a cracked version to see if it makes any diff.

Last edited:
More updates on my frame rate issues:

- In-game benchmark runs great (100% GPU usage)
- Photo mode runs great (100% GPU usage)
- Pause menu runs great (100% GPU usage)
- Reading in-game logs runs great (100% GPU usage)
- Actual gameplay runs horrendous (60% GPU usage, 30-55 fps)

I also found that the first 5 seconds or so after loading a save runs great (100% GPU usage). But then it drops to 60% GPU usage and frame rate tanks.

Also tried swapping my OLED for a no frills 60 Hz monitor without gsync. No difference.

Also tried rolling back to the previous Nvidia driver. No difference.

It's gotta be the most bizarre issue I've ever seen. How do all of those modes listed above run so great and then once I switch to gameplay it runs so horribly?

I'm so bummed out. Thousands of dollars in computer hardware and a PS4 runs this game better than my PC.

I'm very curious if Denuvo is causing this. I'd love to try a cracked version to see if it makes any diff.
time for a format + reinstall

time for a format + reinstall
I actually saw this as a good excuse to upgrade to Windows 11. So I did a clean format and install and guess what? Game is still broken AF. Same exact issue. It's the game. It needs a patch. I just hope the developers can solve it since it seems to be limited to certain hardware configurations. Oh well. At least I have Windows 11 now.

That is the weirdest bug I've heard of in a while. Hopefully the next patch fixes it...

I've been hearing it's similar, but much better interaction between the team and a better story.

I will try not to say too much negative, but this game incorporates literally everything I hate about modern game design outside of some combat — frequent loss of control for “cinematic,” squeezing through small spaces, drawn out sequences, QTEs (option to effectively disable does not make it better, it should never be a system in the first place), player movement doesn’t feel right and jumping sucks for having boosters. I don’t know if I’ll finish the game. I like the team combat ideas, but I feel like it’s gonna be too hectic to enjoy later on, especially if it continues to bug out frequently like it did with the Dweller battle. Yeah, also, it’s really buggy.

I beat the game last night, thoroughly enjoyed it. The party banter was great, some pretty funny moments in there. I'll probably play back through it again at some point to see what happens with different decisions.

Definitely encountered a few bugs - had to reload checkpoint a few times because it didn't think I'd cleared all enemies. Also a few other glitches but nothing that required any reloads. I'll wait a bit for some patches before I go back through.

Picked this one up today and just played through the first two chapters. Loving it so far. The writing is really spot on and I really love the interactions between the characters. Looking forward to where the story goes and just experiencing more of the excellent character work.

3 patches in and still unplayable for me on a 3080 Ti

Check this out, totally bizarre. Gameplay doesn't even use half of my GPU. Photo mode uses 100%.

Gameplay: 48 fps with 46% GPU usage

Photo mode of same exact scene: 103 fps with 99% GPU usage

Check this out, totally bizarre. Gameplay doesn't even use half of my GPU. Photo mode uses 100%.

Games have had issues with NVIDIA's performance overlay in the past. Does it improve if you disable it? What about streaming, free style or Ansel? Are you using any of those?

Games have had issues with NVIDIA's performance overlay in the past. Does it improve if you disable it? What about streaming, free style or Ansel? Are you using any of those?
I've tried just about everything I could think of including disabling all overlays. And even the drastic measure of reformatting my entire computer, updating to latest BIOS, and resetting all BIOS settings to stock. Windows 10, Windows 11, no difference.

I posted a thread over on Steam forums hoping a dev can see it: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1088850/discussions/1/3158705742074599153/?ctp=2

Other people in that thread are having the same exact issue. One of the things we have in common is ASRock motherboards with 9900k CPUs. A couple of people in that thread solved it by setting the gotg.exe process priority to realtime. But that did nothing for me.

This game is amazing, TBH. The graphics are incredible, sound design is great, and it's an overall fun game. Hard to believe this thing is already only $38.

Had a bunch of Microsoft credit so I jumped on this game, very excited to start playing soon.

This game is only $31 on GMG now. I can't believe how fast the price has dropped on this thing, it must not be selling well which is a total shame. It's outstanding.

Played through the opening mission. It is quite fun so far. The voice acting and dialog are superb, game looks good, animations are surprisingly well done. May be in my running for GOTY if this keeps up.

Wow. Here is another thread where the glowing feedback is taking me by surprise. I honestly hadn't given this thing much of a look. I guess I will now.

TwistedMetalGear's issue is quite perplexing.

EDIT: I'm looking over some youtube videos and my interest level is climbing quickly.

Last edited:
Wow. Here is another thread where the glowing feedback is taking me by surprise. I honestly hadn't given this thing much of a look. I guess I will now.

TwistedMetalGear's issue is quite perplexing.

EDIT: I'm looking over some youtube videos and my interest level is climbing quickly.
It’s game of the year for me.

It’s game of the year for me.

I can't believe what I'm seeing and the reviews and feedback. Stunning. This was totally off my radar.

You jerks. I hate all of you. (pulls trigger on deluxe because that's what I do.)

;)

Yeah, I'd put it up there in game of the year territory for me as well. Initially it was odd with the characters looking different than their movie counterparts. In the end I felt like the characters were treated better here.

I bought it a while back for $48 from Green Man Gaming. I enjoyed it so much I recently bought the deluxe edition for the Xbox One for $30 just so I could add the steelbook to my collection.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Yeah, I think that visual difference is what is turning a lot of people off to the game. Everyone is just assuming it's just like the Avengers game, which just isn't that great, and you see the non-actor characters which makes it look like shovelware. However, this game is anything but. I agree that the game treats the source material far better than the movies do.

The shame here is that I think the sales are so poor that we likely won't get a follow-up. There's no reason to put this thing on sale for the bargain bin price it is so soon unless the sales sucked.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I like it! The only issue I'm having is at times whether it's keyboard or controller the dialog options simply don't respond. It acts like I'm doing nothing and then I miss that dialog chance. Thankfully I have multiple saves. I'll verify game files for grins but after that, I'm at a loss. It seems random.

Can't launch the game on whatever Radeon driver I'm using- probably requires a roll-back but really all it did was make me go play something else.

Edit- yep. The weird Halo Infinite AMD driver (link) crashes this game immediately. 21.11.3 works fine, and I would assume any of the "regular" drivers do.

Last edited:

Have you tried using the application specific setting in the Nvidia control panel? Its been a while since I've done this, but you should be able to add the game's executable and specify settings, specifically setting the performance mode to "high performance".

Sleeper Hit of 2021

a game no one had high hopes for but ended being much better than expected

Like Cyberpunk 2077! ;) polonyc2 's favorite!

:troll: CP2077 is the opposite...everyone had high hopes for it and it ended up being something less...and some folks are getting all excited that CP2077 is getting it's score bumped up after the recent $30 sale...but that's because it's 50% off!...yes an inferior game is better when it doesn't cost as much...at $60 the scores would have remained the same

most people see CP2077 as a 7.5- 8.0 type of game here on [H] at elsewhere but it's the same 5-6 people who keep trying to claim it as something it is not

:troll: CP2077 is the opposite...everyone had high hopes for it and it ended up being something less...and some folks are getting all excited that CP2077 is getting it's score bumped up after the recent $30 sale...but that's because it's 50% off!...yes an inferior game is better when it doesn't cost as much...at $60 the scores would have remained the same

most people see CP2077 as a 7.5- 8.0 type of game here on [H] at elsewhere but it's the same 5-6 people who keep trying to claim it as something it is not

I've always said its (cp2077) a 7-8 with moments of greatness, but I am also sure I'm one of those boogie men of yours because myself and others called out your constant crap bombs across the thread when you haven't even played it.

Keep on the hateoraid brother.

Is GotG a better game? depends on what you want, its completely on rails but its very heavily story and narrative driven, and it does what it does very well. Its not very replayable outside of grinding out all the collectables and maybe a slightly different set of dialogue, single player, with no multiplayer. For what it is its a solid 9/10 and I love it but will largely have forgotten about it in a month.

Also by your assinine metric its on sale already, so must be bad or only liked because its on sale.

Last edited:
I've enjoyed this game far more than Cyberpunk. I'll say that much. So many cool things in this game, and while some may disagree, I think this game with raytracing is the best looking game out there right now.

Makes me really hope we get another Deus Ex soon.. These guys know how to make great looking games.

Also by your assinine metric its on sale already, so must be bad or only liked because its on sale.

GoTG was getting high scores/reviews from critics and players immediately after it was released (not just after it went on sale)...CP2077 got a bump after it went on sale for $30 which is why the CP2077 lead writer went on Twitter all excited 2 days ago

GoTG was getting high scores/reviews from critics and players immediately after it was released (not just after it went on sale)...CP2077 got a bump after it went on sale for $30 which is why the CP2077 lead writer went on Twitter all excited 2 days ago
and there you go again, cherry picking everything to maintain your reality. You ignore everything else in the post but what you want to pick out.

Game sells well on a discount does not equal a bad game, or something that was overpriced to begin with, your seeing corrolation and thinking causation. The reality is the game was horrifically busted on launch for consoles, terribly optimized on PC, netting a slew of well deserved bad press. Within a short period it was largely fine on Pc, and because last gen consoles are trash tier in 2020/21 its taken longer to get it stable on them.

People picked it up on sale who where on the fence and scared off by the hate everything intensly crowd and unable to hear or trust those that actually played it. Then they played it and realized what almost everyone not addicted to following the herd that the game is/was a 7-8/10, ultimately fun and a good time sync, but not competely the product marketed.

GoTG is amazing, but like Titanfall 2's single player, Fallen Order, Control and all the other single player linear story games will largely fall to the background and be forgotten. It had all its initial sales, didn't do well (speculation of others) and has a price drop barely a few month after release to pump up sales.

Last edited:
Back