MadVR

I just use my TV's built-in DLNA video playback.

Why mess with perfection? The LG C-series OLED has one of the best 4k upscalers around.

I don't need to add detail that's not there, nor to change the color space.

There are also those hdmi cables that do some of the sharpening and enhancement for a reasonable price.

There's just no way i'm hooking up another htpc with a loud GPU to play media anymore. Never again.

There are also those hdmi cables that do some of the sharpening and enhancement for a reasonable price.

There's just no way i'm hooking up another htpc with a loud GPU to play media anymore. Never again.

Actually, if you game on 120w TDP, I find it's easy to find effectively silent axial fans. I'm still fairly satisfied playing newer games like Jedi Fallen Order at 1080p on my old Strix GTX 960, and once I upgrade the GTX 1060 in my main PC that's going out in the HTPC.

I have the silent GPU power to waste on madVR, but I'd rather save the time wasted tweaking something like that for Steam/Origin games, or ripping new Blurays to my library.

Still using MadVR + ReClock in 2020. Nothing beats it, imo.

Also like using Sharpen Complex 2 if the source benefits from it.

I do. My PC is already hooked up to my TV/Amp, so why not? It's not like MPC-HC and MadVR work a 2080Ti using normal settings, so it's still silent.
MadVR doesn't do much of anything to new content, but it makes older movies (even high resolution copies) look better than the default MPC-HC settings. Ditto with other players like VLC and PowerDVD.
For what it's worth, MadVR hasn't been updated in a while and it seems like the developers are going in a new direction: https://www.madvrlabs.llc/

I though MPC-HC and Madvr are both non supported at this point. There isn’t anything wrong with them, but I don’t think they are getting any more updates.

MPC-HC is still supported/updated by one of the original developers. The updated builds are considered unofficial, but you'd never know it once you install one. Updates tend to roll out every 2-3 months and the update function within the program works.
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=175209
I don't care for the UI on any of the other MPC spin-offs. Ditto with the Korean ones like KMPlayer, PotPlayer, GOM, etc. If I swap away from it at some point I'll probably just go with VLC like everyone else.

Tough to say if MadVR has a future as a renderer. There haven't been any updates in the last 8-9 months, but the support forum is still active. I think it's mainly because the primary devs are working on their Envy device, but I dunno. The latest version seems to be pretty solid as-is so there might just not be any need for updates.

Whatever the hell Amazon is using in the Firestick looks great. At this point the only reason I watch anything on my PC is just out of convenience.

Back