Mach One, a Chimera x NCASE collaboration

Gross, but that's just me. I have bad memories of being forced to do graphic design and video editing for a bank on a slow-ass Apple thing back in 2015. At least the screen was nice.

Gross, but that's just me. I have bad memories of being forced to do graphic design and video editing for a bank on a slow-ass Apple thing back in 2015. At least the screen was nice.

Yeah, always best to judge an entire product lineup from experiences with one singular machine...

Yeah, always best to judge an entire product lineup from experiences with one singular machine...
That's an entirely different discussion and my comment you quoted was all in good fun. Don't be a tightass.

LwOfVxn.jpg

This is second one I broke, man, maybe I should just stick to air cooling.

I would like to see a side view comparison photo of the case next to other cases in its same class. If a photo had been taken at the same time as the others photos in your post at the top of this page, please post it!

From left to right, DAN Cases A4, NCASE M1, Chimera Industries Mach One
6DPfkZQm.jpg
n3Dm1Npm.jpg

From top to bottom, DAN Cases A4, NCASE M1, Chimera Industries Mach One
C1P0vRZm.jpg
hwqEcd4m.jpg

Specifically, I would like to know how deep the case would sit on a desk.

ZizIdVjm.jpg

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, how much larger would the case be if it supported ATX? Because if it's 20L or smaller I feel like it would be worth it.

Out of curiosity, how much larger would the case be if it supported ATX? Because if it's 20L or smaller I feel like it would be worth it.

kb2kcsIl.jpg
UFcnTKCl.jpg

To support ATX with any decent cooling, you are looking at 23L+.

The issue is expectations for ATX support. People with ATX boards will expect 165mm CPU cooler, 280 radiator / 360mm radiator. If you factor in these basic amenities, it's not small increase in size to accommodate.

Right, 23L is definitely not worth it. I had the thought because the Mach One single-chamber config seems like a rotated Cerebrus with a full-length window, and the Cerebrus-X ATX case is only about a liter larger at 19L.

Right, 23L is definitely not worth it. I had the thought because the Mach One single-chamber config seems like a rotated Cerebrus with a full-length window, and the Cerebrus-X ATX case is only about a liter larger at 19L.
Actually, it's over 23L if you include feet and side panels.

Oh, and it's spelled "Cerberus".

I have the Cerberus X.

It's 23L by limiting CPU air cooler height to 145mm, which is 20mm less than the 165mm needed for the Noctua D15 or equivalent class of coolers. If you made the Cerberus 20mm wider to support Nocuta D15 or equivalent coolers, the dimensions will be 192x358x380mm, about 26.6L. You see how volume is particularly sensitive to width.

I don't think people with ATX motherboards are willing to forgo Noctua D15 or equivalent support. So it puts the Cerberus at strange position.

In contrast, Mini-ITX + Noctua D15 or Micro-ATX + Noctua D15 users are likely less common relative to those with ATX mobo, so people might be more forgiving on the Mach One component support.

Last edited:
I have the Cerberus X.

It's 23L by limiting CPU air cooler height to 145mm, which is 20mm less than the 165mm needed for the Noctua D15 or equivalent class of coolers. If you made the Cerberus 20mm wider to support Nocuta D15 or equivalent coolers, the dimensions will be 192x358x380mm, about 26.6L. You see how volume is particularly sensitive to width.

I don't think people with ATX motherboards are willing to forgo Noctua D15 or equivalent support. So it puts the Cerberus at strange position.

In contrast, Mini-ITX + Noctua D15 or Micro-ATX + Noctua D15 users are likely less common relative to those with ATX mobo, so people might be more forgiving on the Mach One component support.

And what are the real dimensions of the original Cerberus? I was really under the impression that the X version was only a liter larger. By the way, Noctua's new U12S is supposed to perform on par with the D15, but it's still 158mm tall.

By the way, I respectfully disagree with the reasoning of an ATX builder "expecting" certain support. SFFLab cases are very niche, people who buy them know what they're getting. The Mach One itself makes sacrifices that a normal person who randomly bought it for their mATX system would find disappointing, but that's not who is buying these cases, it's people who know the trade-offs and value SFF.

Last edited:
And what are the real dimensions of the original Cerberus? I was really under the impression that the X version was only a liter larger. By the way, Noctua's new U12S is supposed to perform on par with the D15, but it's still 158mm tall.

By the way, I respectfully disagree with the reasoning of an ATX builder "expecting" certain support. SFFLab cases are very niche, people who buy them know what they're getting. The Mach One itself makes sacrifices that a normal person who randomly bought it for their mATX system would find disappointing, but that's not who is buying these cases, it's people who know the trade-offs and value SFF.

I think you might be referring to the regular Cerberus, which supports Mini-ITX and Mirco-ATX, not ATX, it's also 18.5L (172x364x319mm).

I agree that these cases are niche, but I also have inside info, including the Cerberus and Cerberus X. For a product to be viable in the long term, it has to appeal to those outside of the SFF community.

With so many case projects on forums competing for air, it's even harder to launch products these days. Crowdfunding fatigue doesn't help either. Based on my observations and my preference for air cooling in general, I arrived at such conclusion.

Last edited:
Someone asked about the Mach One inside the Wallye Duffle, so here it is in case you guys are curious.

One bag fits all - Mach One, Full Size Keyboard, Mouse, Headphone, Elgato Capture Card, MacBook Pro in another pocket.
7ylfWChl.jpg

It may sound a bit crazy, but how about an optional side panel with a protrusion? This way the Mach One could support larger CPU coolers without a change to its primary volume.
And what are the real dimensions of the original Cerberus? I was really under the impression that the X version was only a liter larger.
The Cerberus X is 61mm taller. Sliger Designs just seem to prefer advertising its internal volume (19.43L).

I think you might be referring to the regular Cerberus, which supports Mini-ITX and Mirco-ATX, not ATX, it's also 18.5L (172x364x319mm).

I agree that these cases are niche, but I also have inside info, including the Cerberus and Cerberus X. For a product to be viable in the long term, it has to appeal to those outside of the SFF community.

With so many case projects on forums competing for air, it's even harder to launch products these days. Crowdfunding fatigue doesn't help either. Based on my observations and my preference for air cooling in general, I arrived at such conclusion.

That's fair, thanks for the detailed response!

Question about the MachOne -- if I have the basic setup of mATX + 240/280 AIO + aircooled GPU, what configuration would yield the best GPU temperatures? It seems to me that the choice is either to have the GPU almost touch the radiator or to move it to over the motherboard (or do the back-to-back thing) which will put the intake up against the glass. In one case airflow is a bit restricted, in the other it will be intaking straight out of the radiator. Is blower-style recommended? Seems to me that with streamlined front-to-back airflow, an open-air card might perform better because the warm air will get pushed out. The case seems ideally optimized for a full custom loop, but that's not something most people would do, so I'm wondering what the best option is for aircooled GPU + AIO for the CPU.

Also, could a 3.5" drive fit anywhere in any of the configurations? The only thing I'm thinking of is a 5.25" to 3.5" adapter for the top.

Question about the MachOne -- if I have the basic setup of mATX + 240/280 AIO + aircooled GPU, what configuration would yield the best GPU temperatures? It seems to me that the choice is either to have the GPU almost touch the radiator or to move it to over the motherboard (or do the back-to-back thing) which will put the intake up against the glass. In one case airflow is a bit restricted, in the other it will be intaking straight out of the radiator. Is blower-style recommended? Seems to me that with streamlined front-to-back airflow, an open-air card might perform better because the warm air will get pushed out. The case seems ideally optimized for a full custom loop, but that's not something most people would do, so I'm wondering what the best option is for aircooled GPU + AIO for the CPU.

Also, could a 3.5" drive fit anywhere in any of the configurations? The only thing I'm thinking of is a 5.25" to 3.5" adapter for the top.

One double slot GPU or two double slot GPU?

With mATX you can do a 240 AIO in either Gear 1 or Gear 2 mode; with Gear 3 you would not be able to have an AIO up front...

I would think blower-style GPUs would not fare well, as they would be exhausting into the space up top for I/O cabling...

The top 5 1/4" bay, while initially one may think it is spacious, is not; this is because the motherboard I/O is also up top, and anything that is really much deeper than the EK single bay res / pump combo used in the Computex build will interfere with the I/O...

Personally, I see this as the perfect chassis for a full custom loop water cooled ITX-based workstation build; but that WC will run about 850 bucks...!

View attachment 83239

This is second one I broke, man, maybe I should just stick to air cooling.

:cry: Easy does it - the screws and threading on all water cooling components are just to squeeze the o-ring enough to create a seal. They shouldn't be loose, but really they're not far off.
As soon as you see that o-ring flatten out, it's time to stop.
upload_2018-6-27_10-21-28.png

Perhaps you know already - but the sequence of tightening also matters!

Reactions: Boil
like this
Question about the MachOne -- if I have the basic setup of mATX + 240/280 AIO + aircooled GPU, what configuration would yield the best GPU temperatures? It seems to me that the choice is either to have the GPU almost touch the radiator or to move it to over the motherboard (or do the back-to-back thing) which will put the intake up against the glass. In one case airflow is a bit restricted, in the other it will be intaking straight out of the radiator. Is blower-style recommended? Seems to me that with streamlined front-to-back airflow, an open-air card might perform better because the warm air will get pushed out.

For mATX + 240 AIO + air cooled GPU:

- in Gear 1, ~17mm from the 240 AIO to double slot GPU, should be enough for airflow. BTW, cannot use 280 AIO on mATX - the 280 radiator interferes with the Micro-ATX mobo.

- in Gear 2, ~ 25mm from the window o double slot GPU, should be enough for blower GPU, for open cooler, prob ok (25mm > one *single gpu slot, the typical spacing for two open cooler GPUs). Dual 120mm/140mm fans blowing into the GPU def helps.

rIHl5j9l.jpg8siwsx8l.jpg

The case seems ideally optimized for a full custom loop, but that's not something most people would do, so I'm wondering what the best option is for aircooled GPU + AIO for the CPU.

Gear 1 is for air cooling and would recommend air cooling if you can.

For Gear 1 + air cooling, with dual 140mm fans, there is ~ 46mm gap to the double slot GPU. For CPU air cooler, the Noctua U9S (140W limit) and Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi (160W limit) should work. If you put the Noctua 120mm Sterrox fans on the Cryorig H7 QL, it will be even better. Unless you are running Threadripper or need double window, air cooling works.

CW2udRgl.jpg

Working on it.

Last edited:
It may sound a bit crazy, but how about an optional side panel with a protrusion? This way the Mach One could support larger CPU coolers without a change to its primary volume.
wahaha360, just in case: that was an actual suggestion. I, for one, would be really interested in such an option, as sacrificing both ATX and good cooling is too much for me. Incidentally, the H7 Quad Lumi was deemed a failure by this very website.

wahaha360, just in case: that was an actual suggestion. I, for one, would be really interested in such an option, as sacrificing both ATX and good cooling is too much for me. Incidentally, the H7 Quad Lumi was deemed a failure by this very website.

I bought one for testing. I’m trying to figure out how much better it is or can be compare to the Noctua U9S.

The H7QL mounting and fan is meh, but the cooler height, mass, fin density has potential. The H7QL has the same mass excluding fan as the Noctua U12. The real question is can one get the most out of the H7 QL with some tweaks (better mounting, 2 more heat pipes).

If yes, maybe SFFLAB can work with Cryprig on a custom variant.

I bought one for testing. I’m trying to figure out how much better it is or can be compare to the Noctua U9S.

The H7QL mounting and fan is meh, but the cooler height, mass, fin density has potential. The H7QL has the same mass excluding fan as the Noctua U12. The real question is can one get the most out of the H7 QL with some tweaks (better mounting, 2 more heat pipes).

If yes, maybe SFFLAB can work with Cryprig on a custom variant.
Hmm... In that case, why not ask Noctua about a shorter NH-U12S? As a matter of fact, a cooler of that size seems to be the only thing missing from their lineup.

Gear 1 is for air cooling and would recommend air cooling if you can.

For Gear 1 + air cooling, with dual 140mm fans, there is ~ 46mm gap to the double slot GPU. For CPU air cooler, the Noctua U9S (140W limit) and Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi (160W limit) should work. If you put the Noctua 120mm Sterrox fans on the Cryorig H7 QL, it will be even better. Unless you are running Threadripper or need double window, air cooling works.

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. What about the C14S with it exhausting toward the glass? Seems to work well with the M1.

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. What about the C14S with it exhausting toward the glass? Seems to work well with the M1.

The Noctua C14S will fit, the case has about 10mm more gap from the side panel to the CPU cooler compare to the M1 (Mach One is 10mm wider too)/

The Noctua C14S will fit, the case has about 10mm more gap from the side panel to the CPU cooler compare to the M1 (Mach One is 10mm wider too)/

I know it fits, but I was wondering what your opinion was on how it would perform. You seemed to recommend the U9S or H7 instead. It seems like with directional airflow, the C14S would outperform them.

I know it fits, but I was wondering what your opinion was on how it would perform. You seemed to recommend the U9S or H7 instead. It seems like with directional airflow, the C14S would outperform them.

The C14S will perform better than the U9S with perforated side panel, I don't know about windowed or solid panel.

The Cryorig H7 QL I will not know until further testing.

Gear 1 compatibility test.

- 2x Noctua 140 + Titan XP + X299EITX + i9 7900X + Cryorig H7QL on 2x Noctua 120 + SF600
- 2x Noctua 140 + Titan XP + X299EITX + i9 7900X + Cryorig H7QL on 2x Noctua 120 + SF600 + EK 100 D5
- 2x Noctua 140 + Titan XP + X299EITX + i9 7900X + Cryorig H7QL on 2x Noctua 120 + SF600 + EK 100 DDC
yGibUcfm.jpg
n3uc61km.jpg
sYkKZwNm.jpg

- 2x Noctua 140 + EK CE 280 Radiator + Titan XP on EK-FC + X299EITX + i9 7900X + Cryorig H7QL on 2x Noctua 120 + SF600 + EK 100 D5
- 2x Noctua 140 + EK CE 280 Radiator + Titan XP on EK-FC + X299EITX + i9 7900X + Cryorig H7QL on 2x Noctua 120 + SF600 + EK 100 DDC
- 2x Noctua 140 + EK CE 280 Radiator + Titan XP on EK-FC Rotary + X299EITX + i9 7900X + Cryorig H7QL on 2x Noctua 120 + SF600 + EK 100 D5
- 2x Noctua 140 + EK CE 280 Radiator + Titan XP on EK-FC Rotary + X299EITX + i9 7900X + Cryorig H7QL on 2x Noctua 120 + SF600 + EK 100 DDC
kV18WqGm.jpg
KBXC41zm.jpg
uLCCCBum.jpg
I3GtDdfm.jpg

- 2x Noctua 140 + MSI1070ITX + X299EITX + i9 7900X + Cryorig H7QL on 2x Noctua 120 + SF600
- 2x Noctua 140 + EK CE 280 Radiator + MSI1070ITX + X299EITX + i9 7900X + Cryorig H7QL on 2x Noctua 120 + SF600 + EK 100 D5
- 2x Noctua 140 + EK CE 280 Radiator + MSI1070ITX + X299EITX + i9 7900X + Cryorig H7QL on 2x Noctua 120 + SF600 + EK 100 DDC
R2CdNWWm.jpg
IZv4GGYm.jpg
rMA8vIJm.jpg

Would an EK-MLC Phoenix 280 fit in this with both the CPU and GPU modules in a single loop? The pre-filled tubes for these seem kind of long and it seems like the limited space for tubing in this case could be an issue.

Also, I don't see the specs for how many 2.5" drives you could put in there, if any.

Thanks!

Would an EK-MLC Phoenix 280 fit in this with both the CPU and GPU modules in a single loop? The pre-filled tubes for these seem kind of long and it seems like the limited space for tubing in this case could be an issue.

Also, I don't see the specs for how many 2.5" drives you could put in there, if any.

Thanks!

The MLC Phoenix 280 + Mini-ITX will fit, it was designed with it in mind on a single loop.

the 2.5" drive bays are mounted on the bottom of the chassis, the number supported depends on config, but minimum two, targeting minimum four for all 3 gears.

I have to do something with G-UNIQ guryhwa for Aug and Sep, Mach One is on hold for a bit. I been planning a collaboration with G-UNIQ since 2017, it's go time and it will suck up all of my free time.

3lfk1ng is prob 50% done with prototype 1 testing. Testing highlight so far:

• temps are surprisingly good
    E2XU9VL.png
  • Sterrox 120mm fans performed better than Chromax 140mm with EK CE280 (280x45mm)
  • most setup will be fine on *single 280x45mm radiator at 16FPI push only
  • likes modularity (every part could be upgraded without a whole new case)
  • likes the look and looks expensive
  • don't like 1mm SECC on the inside, too thin (upgrading to 1.5mm aluminum on prototype 2)
* Custom 22FPI EK CE280 on push-pull planned for prototype 2 testing, be a while for these numbers

The new TR2 is around the corner, we need to find someone with 2990X for prototype 2 testing.

I will revisit the project with fresh eyes in October, double check everything before prototype 2.

Reactions: Boil
like this
don't like 1mm SECC on the inside, too thin (upgrading to 1.5mm aluminum on prototype 2)
Do you want stripped threads? Because that's how you get stripped threads.

Jokes aside, how heavy would the case get with a thicker SECC frame?

Last edited by a moderator:

The chassis at 1.5mm SECC would increase weight from 3.5kg to 4.5kg at minium, the shipping cost will increase by $10-$15 depending on the country..

Steel threaded inserts can address this problem.

The weight will increase by 50% with 1.5mm SECC Steel, shipping will be 50%-100% more - not worth it.

Back