M.2 NVMe SSD and overheating

sicroci

n00b
I would like to buy an M.2 NVMe SSD and use it for heavy data transfer applications. I have read that many SSDs suffer from overheating. Do you know M.2 NVMe SSDs that don't have the overheating problem?

I guess the question really is how well is the system thermally controlled? If the system is around hotter ambient temperature and the system builds heat internally with no dispersion, you may experience some thermal throttling. However, I have yet to see my 960 and 970 NVMe's ever throttle. Not even the one installed next to the socket and RAM, and above the GPU. I leave the copper heat spreader on too. Not using any type of 3rd party heatsink.

Technically, almost everything in your system has thermal protection via throttling....has that stopped you from using it yet? [rhetorical]

I guess the question really is how well is the system thermally controlled? If the system is around hotter ambient temperature and the system builds heat internally with no dispersion, you may experience some thermal throttling. However, I have yet to see my 960 and 970 NVMe's ever throttle. Not even the one installed next to the socket and RAM, and above the GPU. I leave the copper heat spreader on too. Not using any type of 3rd party heatsink.

Technically, almost everything in your system has thermal protection via throttling....has that stopped you from using it yet? [rhetoric
For which applications do you use the SSD? deep learning?

I just move bits. Typical and not so typical end-user usage. As I said, if you are to be in the situation of Deep Learning, then the system would fit the thermal needs, no? So, a typical end user would not be in the proper mood after learning that his nice new shiny Fractal chassis doesn't have good thermal properties for his "Bitcorn" (yes, you read that right) mining, or Deep Learning. Of course, I also see many make the mistake with water cooling radiator placements, but hey.....I just move bits, and play with them....oooops said that out loud? Did I?

01--->10
playing with my bits

Back