LTT- liquid metal for laptop cooling

pendragon1

Extremely [H]
haven't seen this here or remember anyone else doing it... I could be wrong but here it is anyways. ~20c drop on cpu is pretty damn good.

I've been needing to replace the TIM on my old laptop for a couple years now. Unfortunately I downloaded the service manual and getting to the cooler requires the removal of over 100 screws, the keyboard, screen, bluetooth and USB boards, the lot.

I said fuck it as I have nearly no experience working on a laptop.

lol it may seem daunting but its really not that bad. usually there are only 2-4 different screw sizes and the holes are clearly marked for each. so have confidence, pay attention and don't force anything to hard. you can do eeet!

Most notebooks are not designed to be repaired. They are built like hand grenades.

you haven't worked on hundreds of different laptops have you? some are so cheap they are disposable but that doesn't mean they cant be repaired. ive personally done $100-3000+ laptops, all repairable. now if you said most are not designed to be user serviceable I could agree....

I've only taken one laptop apart, but it was pretty straightforward. It was a 2011ish model Acer Aspire.

If I had a gaming laptop, I'd definitely consider this though.

I've been needing to replace the TIM on my old laptop for a couple years now. Unfortunately I downloaded the service manual and getting to the cooler requires the removal of over 100 screws, the keyboard, screen, bluetooth and USB boards, the lot.

I said fuck it as I have nearly no experience working on a laptop.

257cz0.jpg

Should only take 3 hours or so :woot:

IMG_20180123_222037433.jpg

move the hippy lamp and you should shave off an hour :)

Hippy? More like dumb assed scam.

Tell me about it. Getting rid of that thing would save me a lot of time turning the dumb fucking thing off.

Was a Christmas present. Wife likes the color when it's illuminated. Still fucking stupid.

Believe me this dumb fucking thing is going to 'accidentally' fall off the mantel and break into pieces and come to an 'unfortunate' end. 'Awwwwe man :(, guess we'll have to use it for de-icing the driveway'

you haven't worked on hundreds of different laptops have you? some are so cheap they are disposable but that doesn't mean they cant be repaired. ive personally done $100-3000+ laptops, all repairable. now if you said most are not designed to be user serviceable I could agree....

I worked for Acer as an on-site technician, and still work at a brick and mortar PC shop, hundreds is an understatement.

And I stand by my assessment. I hate working on notebooks.

I meant hundreds of different models not the number of them. that I lost count. just because you hate working on laptops doesn't mean that they are not reparable.

Back