Lowest end processor that will transcode 4k video (I know rule don't transcode 4k. I want to though)

I want to transcode 4k to around 1080p.
A GPU will do that way faster. You will need to use Staxrip for transcoding. Handbrake doesn't fully utilize GPU power. Which GPU do you have?

And even Intel Quicksync will be faster than many CPUs.

A GPU will do that way faster. You will need to use Staxrip for transcoding. Handbrake doesn't fully utilize GPU power. Which GPU do you have?

And even Intel Quicksync will be faster than many CPUs.

Sorry I meant like on Plex or Emby.

Sorry I meant like on Plex or Emby.
Ok.

I don't know about Emby. But, Plex also can use GPU encoding. Nvidia GPUs are very good for this. Especially RTX 2000/3000 series.

Nvidia's NVENC encoder for h.264 is comparable to the medium and slow CPU presets.
Similarly, the H.265 quality is very good.

And as I said, you can also use Intel Quicksync. Which is good quality for videos. And still pretty fast.

Ok.

I don't know about Emby. But, Plex also can use GPU encoding. Nvidia GPUs are very good for this. Especially RTX 2000/3000 series.

Nvidia's NVENC encoder for h.264 is comparable to the medium and slow CPU presets.
Similarly, the H.265 quality is very good.

And as I said, you can also use Intel Quicksync. Which is good quality for videos. And still pretty fast.

Ok thanks so Intel Quicksync is not better ?

Ok thanks so Intel Quicksync is not better ?
In general, NVENC is considered better quality. Especially for game streaming.

However, for video like movies and TV, Intel is more competitive (if you have Intel 11 series or newer). Also, for downscaling, I think Intel's scaler is better.

I guess you will need to try both, with the same video, and compare them.

I haven't used Plex in a long time. But, downscaling videos with Staxrip----I prefer Intel quicksync H.265 with the "fine" hardware scaler.

However, if you have multiple streams at the same time, you should definitely use NVENC. Its a more powerful encoder. You will be able to do more simultaneous streams at higher quality.

I use a 1080ti for transcoding on emby.
the encoder in the 1080ti is still good quality!

Not sure if you are aware, but you will need to purchase a Plex Pass license to use hardware transcoding.
Current sale is $83 for a lifetime license. Or you can pay monthly, maybe even quarterly bi-annual or yearly.

I've found hardware transcoding to lower resolutions from 4k to be pretty... spotty at best. Mine is a 1950X with 2080TI, and it does a very poor job of downscaling to 1080P. And if it's HDR, you're pretty much screwed. :(

I've found hardware transcoding to lower resolutions from 4k to be pretty... spotty at best. Mine is a 1950X with 2080TI, and it does a very poor job of downscaling to 1080P. And if it's HDR, you're pretty much screwed. :(
Must be something about how Plex utilizes NVENC. Scaling from 4K to 1080p in STAXRIP with NVENC, looks good. Not quite as good as the "fine" scaling setting for Quicksync. But, still quite good. And NVENC is a lot faster, too.

https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/recommended-processor-for-plex-ha-4k-transcoding.85830/

Based on that, I'd probably just get an Intel CPU in the Kaby Lake or newer generations. You could probably get something like an i5 8400 + motherboard for pretty cheap which would be perfectly fine for Plex. My Synology DS1019+ with the Celeron J3455 will transcode 4k to 1080p without issue.

Don't overthink it by adding a GPU when you can do essentially the same thing with much less power by just using Quicksync.

Must be something about how Plex utilizes NVENC. Scaling from 4K to 1080p in STAXRIP with NVENC, looks good. Not quite as good as the "fine" scaling setting for Quicksync. But, still quite good. And NVENC is a lot faster, too.
Oh totally agreed. The card is used as a secondary gaming box instead most of the time - if I need a 1080P pull of a 4k movie, I just have the CPU generate one in spare time.

Just an FYI, the Intel Arc GPU’s do work in Plex. I have an Asrock A380. Shows up as Quicksync. I got it for a good price as an open box at Microcenter.

Back