Low temperatures an issue for NAS?

MavericK

Zero Cool
Been trying to find info on this but it's not really clear from my findings. I have a Synology that I moved out into my insulated/secured but not heated shed, and the temps on the drives show in the 55F-65F range. It's possible it could get colder but probably not by much. The drives are apparently designed to operate anywhere from 32F up to 140F or so.

Is anyone running your NAS in a cold environment? Are there longevity issues?

I've kept systems in unheated, non-insulated garages that could get down into the 30s and as high as 90+, to no ill effects.

YMMV.

Id worry about the possible condensation on the electronics on the board, not the fans or hard drives.

Is this going to be on 24/7?

Usually, the problem isn't low temperatures, but you might have issues with condensation as others said but if it's always on, the heat it generates might be enough to ward that off, depending on how the case conducts heat, etc.

Also, equipment may be sensitive to quickly changing temperatures, they might specify degrees per hour. But if your shed is insulated, temperature changes should be moderated by that, and not too bad. I would be most worried about an uninsulated shed in the desert, where there can be huge day/night temperature changes.

Is this going to be on 24/7?

Usually, the problem isn't low temperatures, but you might have issues with condensation as others said but if it's always on, the heat it generates might be enough to ward that off, depending on how the case conducts heat, etc.

Also, equipment may be sensitive to quickly changing temperatures, they might specify degrees per hour. But if your shed is insulated, temperature changes should be moderated by that, and not too bad. I would be most worried about an uninsulated shed in the desert, where there can be huge day/night temperature changes.

24/7, yes, it's hosting files and Emby.

I am not sure about condensation, I don't think it should be too bad because it's not very humid here and the temperature shifts are very minimal. Between midday and night the temps from the NAS have been +/- maybe 3-5 degrees F. So it's pretty stable.

I might move it back inside once I have a better place for it, I just don't want it on my desk making noise from the enterprise drives.

My garage office used to get really cold due to uninsulated walls and garage door. My server and gaming machines are still fine.

cubicle-cold.jpg

I did put these Styrofoam inserts into the slots in the garage door and that helped a lot.

1670355863128.png

Last edited:
My garage office used to get really cold due to uninsulated walls and garage door. My server and gaming machines are still fine.

View attachment 532284

I did put these Styrofoam inserts into the slots in the garage door and that helped a lot.

View attachment 532285

Looks nice. Mine is in what is essentially a finished shed, but it has a small glass pane on the door and a window, so it might be possible to put some foam around those to keep it a bit warmer. Overall the temperature doesn't fluctuate in there too much, though. There is a baseboard heater that I could use but I'm in it infrequently so I don't waste the electricity.

As others have mentioned, the biggest problem is humid enviroments with fast temperature swings (speed of change is as important as the number of degrees.) If you are worried you can always get a desiccant pack (they sell them for safes) that you can put next to the device, ideally in the path of the air intake. These have indicators so when they get saturated a strip changes color, you put it in your oven and bake out the moisture for a few hours and put it back in place.

Been trying to find info on this but it's not really clear from my findings. I have a Synology that I moved out into my insulated/secured but not heated shed, and the temps on the drives show in the 55F-65F range. It's possible it could get colder but probably not by much. The drives are apparently designed to operate anywhere from 32F up to 140F or so.

Is anyone running your NAS in a cold environment? Are there longevity issues?
Hard drives are typically designed to operate within a certain temperature range, with most drives being able to function between 32°F and 140°F. Operating a drive outside of this range can cause issues with performance and longevity. Cold temperatures can cause a hard drive's lubricant to thicken, which can lead to increased wear on the drive's moving parts. Additionally, cold temperatures can cause the drive's read/write head to stick to the disk, causing data loss or corruption.

That being said, if the temperature in your shed is consistently within the range of 55°F-65°F, it is unlikely that this will cause significant issues with the longevity of your hard drives. However, if temperatures in your shed are expected to drop below freezing, it would be best to move the NAS to a warmer location to ensure the longevity of your drives.

It is worth noting that keeping your hard drives in a cool environment can actually increase their lifespan. Lower temperatures can slow down the aging process of the hard drives and reduce the risk of thermal damage.

It's always good to keep an eye on the temperature and make sure it does not exceed the operating range. If you do see an increase in temperature and it causes problems with the performance of your NAS, consider using a fan or other cooling solution to reduce the temperature.

Back