Looks like AMD fixed PBO 5800X boost set up to 5050 Mhz with AMD Curve Optimizer

gerardfraser

[H]ard|Gawd
AMD 5800X AMD Curve Optimizer Boost set to 5050Mhz for all cores and good temperatures when PC gaming. So basically when all things are good thermal,electrical ETC all cores have the ability to boost up to 5050Mhz.

VF-offset curve optimizer chart My 5800X-subject to change with new agesa release

Timestamp and BIOS settings
Cinebench -Single core 653 - 0:01
The Dark Pictures Anthology LittleHope - 0:23
Assassin's Creed Valhalla - 0:37
Metro Exodus - 0:48

Full CinebenchR23 Run for those interested,test lasted like 30 minutes
Single core - 1663
Multi Score - 15538
Idle temperatures- 29°C
Full AVX load -79.8°C

Full Cinebench20 Run for those interested
Single core 656
Multi Score - 6179
Idle temperatures- 29°C
Full AVX load -76.5°C

40 minutes gameplay AMD 5800X 5000Mhz RTX 3080 4K HDR 60 FPS Assassin's Creed Valhalla

EDIT: Nov 28 2020 testing 5175Mhz

https://flic.kr/p/2kbmThw

Cinebench R23 - 1698
50657536457_79fbd71d69_b.jpgCinebench R23 1698 by gerard fraser, on Flickr

My BIOS settings
https://postimg.cc/YjPNGW9L
https://postimg.cc/c6CMLmsN

Last edited:
Yes it does state 3800XT ,too many CPU's I forgot to put in %cpu% for auto read of CPU,I fixed it up.
Only done about 10 video's like that ,although 3800XT could boost 4750Mhz.Still no real difference in PC games at higher resolution

Did you expect a difference? Ya realize the GPU is the bottleneck?
No I knew exactly what I was doing and I am probably gonna buy 5900X/5950X to play with.
Interesting thanks Gerard. BTW is that with or without smt on? The demo shows 8 cores.
Really you still like that SMT stuff off . In the video I have 16 cores in red bars for CPU usage,also I did not even bother with all core overclock ,it is pointless.

Looks like PBO is a little more advanced on X570 than B550. All core is best option for me with 5600X (for now). Congrats!

Is PBO / AMD Curve Optimizer all in the BIOS. Is any of the AMD software worth installing?

I installed it last night, set to Auto and called it a day, lol. All placebo based on my needs since I don't think I'm capping the CPU threshold based on my usage case.

Ryzen Master is worth looking at.
Don’t know why, but PBO enabled thru Ryzen Master and CPU (5800X) wouldn’t clock above 500MHz. It’s not 1999 anymore so I turned that off and will probably mess within BIOS tonight. Otherwise it runs fine.

If you change something like BPO will Ryzen master recognize that or do you have to set it in both?

40 minutes gameplay AMD 5800X 5000Mhz RTX 3080 4K HDR 60 FPS Assassin's Creed Valhalla for anyone interested​

My 5800x hits 5050 Mhz as well on PBO with the boost maxed out (+200 or whatever).

They all will,I seen 5200Mhz but with the AMD curve the boost are sustained un like PBO alone.

It’s odd I’ve seen many reports on Reddit of 5800X running very hot. Hitting 90°C during Cinebench MT. They even started a spreadsheet about it to track how many reports of it there are.

Wonder what the root cause is: poorly binned CPUs or Mobo/BIOS issue?

Not sure,I seen the reports also of 90°C+. I have a cheap $40 USD cooler and 5800X seems fine.
I just recorded full Cinebench R23 which ran for 30 minutes and hit 79.8°C.

It is what happens when wannabes don't know how to cool a CPU right...a $40 cooler keeping it at 79.8 C...damn! That is nice! The people complaining must be really noob. I'm noob, but only in overclocking...cooling wise...tops.

On a similar vein, anyone know the difference between Core Performance Boost and Precision Boost Overdrive? Both options are available on my motherboard, and I have PBO enabled but I'm not sure what CPB does, it seems to be disabled by default.

Really hoping that ASUS gets the curve optimizer with later BIOS. I have serious FOMO right now.

On a similar vein, anyone know the difference between Core Performance Boost and Precision Boost Overdrive? Both options are available on my motherboard, and I have PBO enabled but I'm not sure what CPB does, it seems to be disabled by default.
I think CPB is a boost more like Intel’s Turbo Boost. Hard to find specific info about it. If it’s disabled by default leave it off. FWIW on my Aorus Master its default is Auto and only shows up if CPU supports it.

Attachments

• 76988A56-7A15-4DA1-BC71-087F9F8A045B.jpeg
    76988A56-7A15-4DA1-BC71-087F9F8A045B.jpeg
    337.9 KB · Views: 0
I think CPB is a boost more like Intel’s Turbo Boost. Hard to find specific info about it. If it’s disabled by default leave it off. FWIW on my Aorus Master its default is Auto and only shows up if CPU supports it.
Yeah, I think I was mistaken and mine is "Auto" as well, but you can also set it to "Enabled" so it's hard to know whether or not it's doing anything.

I guess I can enable it and see what happens.

Cinbench R20 full run default settings recorded desktop Nvidia shadowplay

Single core -656 -upto 5100Mhz
Multi Score - 6179 -all core 4750
Full multi AVX load -76.5°C

Last edited:
So based on your testing. What would be best config to keep zen3 in check with temps? I don't mind losing a little bit on performance. I will be gaming at 1440p, so I will be GPU bottleneck anyways.
Well Post #26 works for me. The truth is though with AMD CPU you could run at lets say 4650Mhz and you would get the same results if boosting to 5100Mhz at higher PC gaming resolutions. So I suggest test it out for yourself.

Set your lowest CPU voltage without running into clock stretching on a all core overclock for lowest CPU temperatures and test some PC games at 1440P,then set boost clock or let PBO work. Then judge for yourself.
I only like seeing the 5000Mhz number but I know the actual truth it makes no difference for me PC gaming.

There is some OCD people out there that think 1 FPS difference in 0.1% lows is huge in there mind ,which balls out crazy thinking.

Hi Gerardfraster, thanks for the info on the PBO setup.
I have 5800x with X570 Tomahawk as well, but when I follow the same setup and BIOS, Max CPU Boost Clock Override 200MHz, and Curve Optimizer same as yours, my computer keep rebooting and enter some " prepare repairing", then I have to manually power off my PC and reset my BIOS. Thus, I am not sure if I am missing other important setup?

Under my "Overclocking settings(OC)", I have my PBO set up as AUTO, and I have change the PBO setting under "Settings".

Anyone using Curve Optimizer (particularly 5600X), please check stability. A great way to test boost override is to run Prime95 with Small FFT, 1 worker, both AVX/AVX2 disabled. This will load both of your fastest cores at that OC boost. Mine need more voltage just to run stock boost stable along with the multicore OC from the curve and reduced voltage. I'm running negative 18 on my four slowest cores and positive 4 on the two fastest. My fastest cores instantly puke with negative curve if isolated in Prime.

Hi Gerardfraster, thanks for the info on the PBO setup.
I have 5800x with X570 Tomahawk as well, but when I follow the same setup and BIOS, Max CPU Boost Clock Override 200MHz, and Curve Optimizer same as yours, my computer keep rebooting and enter some " prepare repairing", then I have to manually power off my PC and reset my BIOS. Thus, I am not sure if I am missing other important setup?

Under my "Overclocking settings(OC)", I have my PBO set up as AUTO, and I have change the PBO setting under "Settings".
It is overclocking ,I can suggest settings and make a chart with off set voltages but I can not do it for someone. What I can say AMD makes the fastest CPU out of the box,but with overclocking it takes time,I am three weeks in and just started testing 5175Mhz for a week minimum. Disable PBO Under my "Overclocking settings(OC)" then just use AMD Curve Optimizer + PBO and do it per core for your own CPU.
"Anyone using Curve Optimizer (particularly 5600X), please check stability. A great way to test boost override is to run Prime95 with Small FFT, 1 worker, both AVX/AVX2 disabled. This will load both of your fastest cores at that OC boost. Mine need more voltage just to run stock boost stable along with the multicore OC from the curve and reduced voltage. I'm running negative 18 on my four slowest cores and positive 4 on the two fastest. My fastest cores instantly puke with negative curve if isolated in Prime.
I may try this out have not thought of doing it this way.

So you know how in the BIOS you can set the voltage of the CPU, outside of curve optimizer? What do you set that to? Auto? Override? AMD Overclocking? (rocking MSI X570 Tomahawk like you)

Back