Looking for Right-Angle RGB (3 and 4 pin) and USB 2.0 headers. Is MODDIY my only option/reliable?

I have a Gigabyte Z490 AORUS PRO AX motherboard, it has two 12V 4-pin RGB headers, and two 5V 3-pin ARGB headers. As well as two 9-pin USB 2.0 headers.

The top set of the 4/3 pin RGB headers are already going to be in use, but I still need to use both sets on the bottom of the board, as well as one of the USB 2.0 headers. You can see these headers here:

Problem is... my RAID card is blocking all of them:

(And I can't use the port above it because on top of blocking airflow to my GPU, it would also cut it's bandwidth in half.

It's not a complete snug fit, there IS some room:

But it's not enough. While I can still fit the USB 2.0 header just barely, I don't like how much it's pushing against the battery on the RAID card. And the 4-pin RGB header is completely too big due to how large the standard connector seems to be (My ARGB fans for that port have not arrived yet, but from what I understand, the plugs are around the same size as the RGB ones anyway).

So since there is SOME wiggle room but not a lot, I was wondering if there was any sort of ultra-thin extension cable, or a right-angle connector or anything I could use. I tried to Google about it, but almost all the results for ultra-thin cables were just splitters that had a plug just as big if not bigger, and for right-angle all I found were L-shaped connectors for people who want to setup LED strips along the walls and ceilings of their home, pretty much none of the results were for PCs. And USB got all of my results end up as either USB 3.0 right-angle connectors, or an actual USB cable that had the ends be right-angled. You would think trying to specify "headers" and "PC" would help narrow it down!

However, there was one reddit post I found mentioning a site called MODDIY that seemed to have (almost) exactly what I need.

First of all, can this site even be trusted? Never heard of it before, and I wanted to know if I can trust the connectors to not short out or something since they cost just a few cents each (though admittedly, they seem quite simple since it's just a pin to a pin).

These were the ones I found for RGB:

https://www.moddiy.com/products/RGB...n-Male-Female-90-Degree-Angled-Connector.html

They seem like they will do the job. I am wondering if it is safe to use something like this, and if there would be any exposed parts that could cause a short. (Not sure what to do about that, electrical tape?)

The ARGB ones however were a little problematic:

https://www.moddiy.com/products/RGB...n-Male-Female-90-Degree-Angled-Connector.html

If I am looking at this correctly, these would sadly point in the opposite direction I need, they would point up towards the RAID card, and I need them to point down. Furthermore, the images are confusing. One shows a proper setup with one of the pins filled in and empty.... and the other image instead shows standard 4-pin connectors of both male and female. Which makes me question how reliable this site or it's products are.

And then there is USB:

https://www.moddiy.com/products/USB...-Internal-Header-Connector-2.54mm-Dupont.html

This seems like the proper connector. If I am looking at it right, it should point the pins down judging by where the blank pin in my motherboard is right? But I am not sure if that is reliable. It looks a bit.... overly-simplistic and shoddy. Is this normal looking for this kind of connector?

Does anyone have experience with this site/such connectors? Is this site or these connectors reliable or am I asking for trouble? And are there any other sites that sell such a thing? I was shocked that this appeared to be the ONLY site that had such products, couldn't even find them on Newegg or Amazon. And furthermore, even if I were to get 10 of each of the RGB connectors and two of the USB connectors. that comes out to a mere $5.... yet... it estimates it will cost around $10 to ship! Are there any alternatives so I don't have to pay literally double the price of the connectors just to ship them?

those both look about as good of quality that ive seen and they are a reliable site. so order away or plop it in that x16 slot?

those both look about as good of quality that ive seen and they are a reliable site. so order away or plop it in that x16 slot?

It's a x8 slot, and it will reduce the actual x16 slot to x8 if I use it. That's why I am using that x4 slot instead, since it does not effect the x16 slot if it's in use or not.

I was trhinking about something like a Corsair commander (depending on which fans you are going to use) but you would still need to access one of the USB 2.0 headers.

You could always mount the raid card vertically and start a new trend :p

I was trhinking about something like a Corsair commander (depending on which fans you are going to use) but you would still need to access one of the USB 2.0 headers.

You could always mount the raid card vertically and start a new trend :p

I was hoping to just keep everything connected to my motherboard's headers so I can control all the RGB from it's software and not deal with an additional mess of wires from a hub as well as additional software that might not sync with it.

And I don't think my old case is designed for vertical mounting anything :p

I don't think my old case is designed for vertical mounting anything
you can get mounting brackets that attach over the extra pci slots, shifts the card slightly into the case. but that'd be silly compared to a few bucks for adapters.

Yeah, mounting the card vertically or with adapters seems insane overkill over trying to find a way to get the RGB connections to fit instead.

Back