Looking for insight on keeping current AMD 7950X3D processor or swapping for Intel

Tanquen

[H]ard|Gawd
Performance wise I think they're close enough.

I'm not happy with Intel and their P and E cores. I've already had issues with my company laptop and VMware consistently grabbing all the E cores. Then with the AMD I wanted to go with the X3D but after looking at some more reviews it seems you're better off getting the non-X3D because only half of the cores have direct access and that can cause issues getting best performance. Whereas the regular 7950 gets a higher clock and all the cores are the same.

The current top of the line shouldn't really matter too much. I know Intel is using a bit more power and they trade blows and benchmarks so maybe the regular 7950 would be the better option?

After getting the AMD set up and spending some time working on it. There's the issue now of the firmware and possible damage or weakening of the CPU with incorrect voltages. I've even seen posts where the new locked down firmware still changes Soc voltage.

I just spent a few weeks picking out an AMD motherboard and ordering that and the CPU and over the weekend putting it together. During all of this I found out that the firmware has been cooking some of the AMD CPUs. I only had mine for a few days before seeing the new safe bios had been released a day or two after my build when I had checked for the most recent one and the new one wasn't listed yet even though it's now listed with that date. So I may be missed it by a few hours.

Anyway, I'm still within my 30-day window and could possibly return the motherboard and CPU and get an Intel motherboard and CPU. I'm not sure if I would be be trading issues in one platform with another.

I also liked it. The idea of the AMD AM5 being new and to just being able to swap in a new CPU for an upgrade.

Not trying to flame any brand but any consensus or thoughtful recommendations would be welcome.

Last edited:
I would just stick what you have if its working good for you. I was a bit worried about the burning before I got a new semi fixed bios myself, but just think that you could theoretically keep the rig drop in a new cpu in 2 generations and still be able to use gen 5 ssds, gen 5 new GPU and possibly faster ddr5 without replacing the mobo. If you go intel you won't be keeping that mobo that long.

So if your signature is up to date, you are on a 4090 and I'd assume game at 4K (or hope? lol). If so, ANY of these choices is going to mean very little for your overall gaming experience. They will all perform about the same if your system is tuned correctly.

What is your primary use for your PC? If it is ONLY gaming, swing for a 7800X3D and avoid the cross-CCD issues that can arise from the 7950X3D. If you do a lot of work on your PC too that requires more cores, the 7950X3D or 7950X are still great choices. Worst case scenario on specific games, just disable one of the CCDs in the BIOS. I think a lot of people use process lasso to work around Intel and AMD issues with these weird new architectures to ensure a game operates on a specific CCD. I even do this on some games with my 5950X when cross CCD communications cause gaming issues.

I am on AMD now, but on AM4. My plans to upgrade will be next generation for either platform. LGA1300 is at the end of the road, and AM5 is too new based on AMDs history of AGESA and bugs with AM4. I have a feeling it will take AMD a bit to get the AGESA solid, and by then, new CPUs and chipsets will be out for AM5.

Looking at your signature, I've got nearly the same setup as you and I'm just rolling with it. Hindsight is 20/20, but in the grand scheme of things the CPU doesn't matter that much when you start looking at the high-end stuff. AMD is apparently standing behind their stuff if you have one of the rare models that flames out, so that's not really that big of a deal. I've found the X3D Game Bar stuff to work rather well and there's always Process Lasso if you feel the need to tinker yourself.

I would stick to what you have. This AM5 fuss is ugly indeed. But Intel is nowhere better. You will hit different problems with Intel platform. There are always pain in the ass for either system. The system is so complicated now, there is no perfect world. Better just save the trouble of switching everything.

I have a 7800x3D here and my main rig is a 13900k. I put my 4090 in both and there is literally no difference that I can tell for gaming. The only thing I really notice is the horrific boot times on the AMD platform, I can go make a sandwich while that thing powers on.

Yes, there are a few things I'm not liking about the MEG X670E ACE in addition to the cooking CPU issues.

This may be all boards these days.

-BIOS info screen is too fast.
-Can add a PC speaker but there is no Post beep. I've seen some MSI BIOS that have a setting to enable it but this one doesn't seem to have it.
--- Seems odd to not have a speaker on a $600 board and then when someone buys a PC speaker to add on the board, you disable the Post beep. ???
-If you use the RAM profile (if you are currently ok with risking the CPU) it does some kind of RAM training on every boot. It just sets there on Code 15 for about a minute.
-I get 6 thumps from the speakers on boot. Last board with all the same speakers and monitor did not do this. PC Speaker Thump

Some things I really wish all BIOS had.

-Ability to disable any M.2/SSD/Drive device for testing or for OS install. The drive are on the motherboard these days and you can't just unplug the SATA cable anymore. Some are under video cards and such.
-No way to label drives in the BIOS. Normally I have different size or models of drives but if you have 2 that are identical, it's hard to select the boot order and or you the BIOS boot menu when I can't remember what OS it on what drive.

FYI - The only reason I got the new MB and CPU was a issue with the Gigabyte X570 AORUS XTREME and AMD 5950x CPU, after 2 years, started randomly corrupting files. I could find no fix and could not be without a PC. Gigabyte said they would look at it but I'm guessing as it could take weeks for the issue to show they just say it was fine. Is it the RAM, CPU or MB? So far no corruption on the new system. Not sure how to test for random file corruption but even with new SSDs and clean installs I got your drive has errors messages in Windows. I've just been running the right click, properties tools then Error checking. So far no errors on the new setup where the old one and many randomly. :(

https://hardforum.com/threads/is-it...-loss-high-ssd-temps.2027059/#post-1045625735

FYI - The only reason I got the new MB and CPU was a issue with the Gigabyte X570 AORUS XTREME and AMD 5950x CPU, after 2 years, started randomly corrupting files. I could find no fix and could not be without a PC. Gigabyte said they would look at it but I'm guessing as it could take weeks for the issue to show they just say it was fine. Is it the RAM, CPU or MB? So far no corruption on the new system. Not sure how to test for random file corruption but even with new SSDs and clean installs I got your drive has errors messages in Windows. I've just been running the right click, properties tools then Error checking. So far no errors on the new setup where the old one and many randomly. :(

https://hardforum.com/threads/is-it...-loss-high-ssd-temps.2027059/#post-1045625735
Those errors could have been a number of things, likely cause would have been unstable RAM or your 5950X not being stable (if using PBO). It is also possible the drive is actually failing, and the system is perfectly fine.

Those errors could have been a number of things, likely cause would have been unstable RAM or your 5950X not being stable (if using PBO). It is also possible the drive is actually failing, and the system is perfectly fine.
You can check that thread but I got 2 new 990 Pro SSDs and put clean from Micro Soft UBS Win11 installs and had the same issue. No OC and in a little over two years no Blue Screens or crashes and Prime95 had no errors for days and even did MemTest86 a few times. The only sign of an issue was the random file corruption.

So far, the new setup with the new 990 Pro SSDs has had no errors. Not really used it that much yet but hoping for the best. If it had the same issue I'd don't know what I'd do.

AMD did have NVMe issues on the X570 so maybe it's that or that board and CPU don't like Win11. My issues started after, 2 years, in the last 5 months I upgrading to Win11 on both the work and Games SSD, got a new WD SN850X SSD and the RTX4090. ??? I then got two new SSDs and reinstalled Win11 and the same thing happened.

Random once a week or month issues stink!

Back