Looking for enterprise SSD

Can you please give more details about what exactly you're after? What are your targets on:
  • Capacity
  • Budget
  • Endurance level need or use case, ie. read intensive, write intensive, OS drive, scratch drive, etc.
  • Which is more important, overall performance, random read/write performance, sequential performance, or is performance secondary to endurance and reliability?
  • What version of PCIe and how many lanes is the host system capable of?
  • Do you need power loss protection?
  • Do you need integrated encryption options?

Can you please give more details about what exactly you're after? What are your targets on:
  • Capacity
  • Budget
  • Endurance level need or use case, ie. read intensive, write intensive, OS drive, scratch drive, etc.
  • Which is more important, overall performance, random read/write performance, sequential performance, or is performance secondary to endurance and reliability?
  • What version of PCIe and how many lanes is the host system capable of?
  • Do you need power loss protection?
  • Do you need integrated encryption options?
Capacity: at least 1TB
Budget: no limits
Endurance: read intensive, less write intensive, for deep learning (for storing the training dataset)
Important: fast reading
No power loss protection
No integrated encruption

I am looking for an SSD in order to use it for deep learning where intensive data transfer jobs run for days without interruption. This is the reason I am looking for an enterprise SSD and not a consumer SSD.

Intel, Micron or Samsung all make very good enterprise drives. I am not sure how many of them are M.2 that is not the most used enterprise form factor. U.2 or a PCIe card is more popular.

Capacity: at least 1TB
Budget: no limits
Endurance: read intensive, less write intensive, for deep learning (for storing the training dataset)
Important: fast reading
No power loss protection
No integrated encruption
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounds more like a consumer use case.

Enterprise drives main strengths are the write endurance, HW encryption, and power loss protection.

drescherjm is right, M.2 isn't common in the enterprise space. If you have the space, you can do an M.2 to U.2 adapter which greatly expands your options.

Consider the Micron 7300 Pro and the Intel DC P4511. The Intel is in the longer 22110 form factor if that's a problem.

You might find some good things in a higher end consumer drive like the Samsung 970/980 Pro

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounds more like a consumer use case.

Enterprise drives main strengths are the write endurance, HW encryption, and power loss protection.
My concern is performance throttling due to overheating in the case of consumer SSDs... I need to intensively use the SSD for long periods of time (days) without interruption...

It would be better for that use case to not use a M.2 instead a PCIe card device or U.2.

Is M.2 an absolute requirement?
I don't have space for a PCIe card and my motherboard doesn't support U.2 from what I can see... I only have an M.2 slot.

I don't have space for a PCIe card and my motherboard doesn't support U.2 from what I can see... I only have an M.2 slot.

If you have space for a 2.5" drive and a free SATA power connector, you can use a U.2 drive. You just need an inexpensive adapter:

Amazon M.2 to U.2 cable

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Consumer or Ent, you should cool them either way if you are running that much data through them. Ent. drives are cooled far better than consumer cases normally.

I think I'd just get a samsung 980 pro and see if that would solve the problem, otherwise optane .. but the question is what motherboard is this going into?

Last edited:
I think I'd just get a samsung 980 pro and see if that would solve the problem, otherwise optane .. but the question is what motherboard is this going into?
I have decided to buy an M.2 to U.2 adapter and a U.2 enterprise SSD. Which U.2 enterprise SSD with 2TB do you recommend me?

If you only have PCIe 3: Micron 7300 Pro 1.92TB

If you have PCIe 4, or just want the latest: Intel D7-P5500 1.92TB (hard to find for sale) or Samsung PM1733 1.92 TB

If you really have no max budget: Intel P4800X 1.5TB (Optane)

All are available in other form factors, so double check before hitting buy that you're getting the 2.5"/U.2 version.

Back