Looking for an LCD, 17 or 18 inch, help me out!

homIcIde

Limp Gawd
I'm currently looking for either an 18"or 17" LCD for gaming that can be had for less than 500 bucks. It will be used for games, movies, and the regular stuff. 16ms response time would be preferable, but I'm really just looking for no ghosting. I've been out of the monitor loop for a while so i dont really know what the good deals are right now. Thanx in advance.

EDIT: Two I'm currently considering are the Samsung 173T, Sony x73 and the NEC LCD1760NXBK-1. Any opinions on those?

I own a samsung 173T, it is beautiful to look at compare to the other monitors you are intrested in

The only downfall I can see when comparing to the other monitors (mind you I never tried the others in person though) is the response time.

In counterstrike I can see ghosting, but I get use to it after playing for awhile. Need for speed underground, perfect, no ghosting. Halo, no ghosting.

Those are the only games I've tried it with so far. Unfortunetly I'm not a big time gamer so I don't have others games to test it with. I think the only problem is first person shooters that run at high frame rates. Halo only runs at 30fps max, whereas counterstrike can run upto 100+, my counterstrike fps is at 70 by the way.

This is a great LCD jam packed with features and quality, but it does fall short.

By the way I know how many people buy an LCD and express their absolute love for in, mostly because they don't want to admit to a 450$+ bad purchase decision :p . I am trying to give my unbias opinion.

Bottomline, this may be the more expensive out of the three, but if its what you want. Get it only if you can get a sweet deal. It isn't worth more than 470$. Especially when you can snag a Sony x73 for 440$ or even cheaper.

Make sure you use this LCD or any LCD for that monitor with a DVI connection.

thanx for the opinion. I'm really hoping to find a monitor that doesn ghost in CS, so knowing that the 173T does is a big help. I'm really leaning towards the x73. Does anyone know of a good deal for it anywhere?

just hang out at the Fatwallet forums for when Dell has another smokin' deal on their 1800FP 18" LCD.

there are tons of people on this forum who own and swear by this LCD so it must be all that and a box of rocks.

I for one had several 1800FPs and loved them all. I wont say they are 100% gaming-ghosting free but more like 98.999% ghosting free.

you should be able to find an 1800FP for roughly $400 delivered to your house when Dell does have them on sale.

You can't go wrong with the Dell 1800fp. One of the best 18" LCD's out there. Definitely try to buy it when Dell has a good sale. Check the bargain sites often.

Back