Looking For Advice On Win 10 Clean install

dpriest

Limp Gawd
Hello,
I have a Threadripper 1950X system where my hard drive is getting full and just bought a 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus. I have done a few clean installs in the past with some performance issues because of the initial install. I have Win 10 install on a USB drive and want to know if it is best to install with Legacy or non Legacy. I don't understand what the difference is but I know that one provides quick "normal" performance and the other one does not. It has been awhile since I did a clean install like this so I forgot what I did after help in the past. In a nutshell, I am looking for the proper install to pave the path for a fast running system with no issues like I have now.

Thanks in advance for your help. This forum is a godsent and has been instrumental for my success in building my own system from scratch as well as many other computing issues. I look forward to your response.

you want to install in UEFI mode. Legacy is mostly used on the older non UEFI setups

not that one ALWAYS wants the most very recent build (for a variety of reasons)

but yes, ^^ above him said LOL

Well, leave it to me to screw things up. I created the bootable usb. When I removed the drive with windows and put the new bland Samsung drive it could not load windows off the usb because there were "files missing". I then removed the new drive and went to boot up windows with my old drive and I cannot boot into windows off that drive because of missing kernel files and for wome reason the PC will not repair the OS with the cd or usb. So basically I have a computer I cannot boot into or put any os on it. Pleas help.

The computer I am on now is a Mac. Another thing is that I tried to create the install media with rufus and it got to 96% and just hanged. Maybe I wasn't patient enough so I created the usb with media creation tool. I can install 1803 from my cd on the new blank drive. Maybe I'll do that and then try to create the usb drive again.

I take that back. There is some kind of whole system error. There are errors the original cd cannot repair with a blank new drive.

The computer I am on now is a Mac. Another thing is that I tried to create the install media with rufus and it got to 96% and just hanged. Maybe I wasn't patient enough so I created the usb with media creation tool. I can install 1803 from my cd on the new blank drive. Maybe I'll do that and then try to create the usb drive again.
why the fuck would you use rufus?! you were given a link to the ms media creation tool. if you install your 1803 from disk just use the media tool to update straight to 1903.

I didn't use rufus. I ultimately used the media creation tool to do create the disk. I cannot get any os to load now from a cd, nvme drive or usb drive

then your doing something wrong. why wont it load of disk? what does it say? have you done this before?

I am trying to boot off the Acronis bootable rescue disk to restore my old backup and I cannot even do that.

cant load the rescue disk or the restore fails? check you cable aren't loose or something and please give a little more detail. "it dont work" isn't very informative.

I have done this several times before with no issues. I have no idea what I did. There is an advanced repair option screen that comes up. This is way beyond my understanding of computers to repair. I can try to get the screen up and read you the options. Maybe you can help.

I don't think I messed with the legacy settings. I can get into the BIOS but not sure what to look for.

I must have damaged one of the M.2 slots because I switched to another one and I am in windows on my old drive

I take it back. The system booted into windows and froze up. I forced shut it down with the power key and when it booted up the second time I have a blue screen now that says Automatic Repair with Advanced options and shutdown. I am not sure what to do at this point

I clicked Advance options and now my choices are to use a usb, cd or windows recovery dvd. The re is a Troubleshoot option to reset my pc or see advanced options. I tried different options befroe with no success. Can you help me from here?

I clicked Advance options and now my choices are to use a usb, cd or windows recovery dvd. The re is a Troubleshoot option to reset my pc or see advanced options. I tried different options befroe with no success. Can you help me from here?
i would just do a fresh install of win 10 using the medai creation tool. Im really not sure how you messed that part up? But i always use a spare win pc to make a new install drive. the hole automatic repair thing has always been hit or miss

I figured it out...On the MOBO I accidentally pushed the reset CMOS switch button. I went into the BIO and reset the DRAM XMP profile to 2.0 and that seemed to do the trick. I don't want to speak to soon but I just did a clean install from the USB Disc I created.

grats sorted out :)

one day these "smart devices" will be far more humanized and tell things like

"you might want to set the CMOS button/jumper to the other selection or you will waste your day"

while they are at it...make BSOD be more "english" and far more "relevant" to help diagnose at a glance....i.e when a BOSD can be 4-5 different ways but call the same thing
that not so helpful....still trying figure out my current instability issues....silly Bios/Agesa rushed to shelf

I was~2wk so far into this thing (wiring, moving things around, reset, pop jumper etc)

I suppose if my issue in this case were that easy
I would be <3 more than :mad:

--------------------

got some new computerized lightning on your end now

working well (since figured issue out)

? ?

grats sorted out :)

one day these "smart devices" will be far more humanized and tell things like

"you might want to set the CMOS button/jumper to the other selection or you will waste your day"

while they are at it...make BSOD be more "english" and far more "relevant" to help diagnose at a glance....i.e when a BOSD can be 4-5 different ways but call the same thing
that not so helpful....still trying figure out my current instability issues....silly Bios/Agesa rushed to shelf

I was~2wk so far into this thing (wiring, moving things around, reset, pop jumper etc)

I suppose if my issue in this case were that easy
I would be <3 more than :mad:

--------------------

got some new computerized lightning on your end now

working well (since figured issue out)

? ?
Thanks. I couldn't understand for the life of me why all of this happened. After hours of failed attempts to breathe some life into this "Box" known as a computer and to maintain my sanity, I finally went into the Bios, noticed the RAM was NOT set at XMP 2.0 Profile 1. Switched that back and BAM...Regained my sanity and that's all she wrote.

that not so helpful..../QUOTE]

Better to get rid of the BSOD entirely. I haven't seen any of my Macs crash with the exception of the macbook I upgraded to an SSD that wasn't fully supported in the outdated version of firmware/OSX it had.

go Mac get rid of Os entirely?

I am pretty sure Apple had pretty distinct hand in Win 10 development / support for GUI etc etc... just like MSFT / Bill Gates hauled Apple / prevented them from disappear completely.

no OS "for a close system" I not see an issue, plenty of systems out there that that is very much "catch of the day"

though there are just as many systems that many use we want/ NEED open access to be able to swap things out etc.

the only one I am aware of that did "little different" very recently (few month or year back? ) they EVGA did ALL drivers needed on USB stick supplied with the boxed board purchase (might be able buy direct as well)

I think that is PERFECT... in theory they KNOW it WILL work as they have compliant everything on the stick for the board/OS in question....

AMD "could have" done VERY similar with a one use "boot-kit" included per box cpu purchase / mobo purchase... to "guarantee" baselines EVERYTHING featured on the motherboard(s) in question .. Win10 install fast enough and all..however getting often enough "flaky" driver support where need toggle things this way and that JUST to use...major Potato....

Agesa with a small boot-kit only intended to ensure baselines compatibility mem tester in one click (design for "utter simpletons"

----------

it can be done, at least EVGA (am sure far more than them did varying levels of such over the many decades we have been using computers overall)
managed to do something "stupid simple"

take all driver, slap on USB stick, add $2 to cost of purchase...call it a day....

^.^

--------

I am done now...sorry bust thread(s) as I tend to do as of late...very good reason for, interested for sure being one of the prime drivers in this Dragons world :)

Back