Looking for a small end of line 2-4 port powered by POE

Tanquen

[H]ard|Gawd
I did find one for IP cameras but it's only 100 based and I'd like to find something that is 1G.
I have two of the MikroTik CRS305 switches that can be powered with a POE connection and do you POE with them and they work well but they are for my 10G network and a bit overkill for this instance.

I've got a DGS-1100-05 which seems like a pretty nice little unit. Can be POE powered, and POE passthrough to up to two devices.

"Seems like," because I haven't gotten around to setting up my cameras to test it out yet.

I've got a DGS-1100-05 which seems like a pretty nice little unit. Can be POE powered, and POE passthrough to up to two devices.

"Seems like," because I haven't gotten around to setting up my cameras to test it out yet.
Are you sure this is the right part number? The specs don't say anything about POE.

Are you sure this is the right part number? The specs don't say anything about POE.
https://www.secureswitches.com/DGS-1100-05PD.asp

Left out the PD, but yes, that's the one. Tested the POE works, and power from POE works, just don't know how well it'd handle two cameras–especially if they both have high power ir emitters. Guess that mostly depends on your POE source, though.

Edit: looks like non-p/pd models aren't POE capable...maybe? Mine definitely is, though. Think mine's a PD, even though it definitely doesn't have that on the box anywhere. Double check before ordering.

Also it says it's capable of 10Gb max, but all the ports are only 1Gb, so you would have to perform some trickery to max out the switch. (Or have a bunch of peer to peer traffic, I guess)

Attachments

• IMG_20211212_163610__01.jpg
    IMG_20211212_163610__01.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Left out the PD, but yes, that's the one. Tested the POE works, and power from POE works, just don't know how well it'd handle two cameras–especially if they both have high power ir emitters. Guess that mostly depends on your POE source, though.
Yep, that PD made the difference. :D Pretty neat device. Seems like it would be perfect for the OP, and I don't think there's anything else like this out there besides the ubiquiti 8-port that can be powered poe.

Yep, that PD made the difference. :D Pretty neat device. Seems like it would be perfect for the OP, and I don't think there's anything else like this out there besides the ubiquiti 8-port that can be powered poe.
See edit, but also, from what I remember, the difference between the models is:
PD: Same as P, but also POE Power delivery
P: POE powered
[No Designator]: No POE

Edit: looks like non-p/pd models aren't POE capable...maybe? Mine definitely is, though. Think mine's a PD, even though it definitely doesn't have that on the box anywhere. Double check before ordering.

Also it says it's capable of 10Gb max, but all the ports are only 1Gb, so you would have to perform some trickery to max out the switch. (Or have a bunch of peer to peer traffic, I guess)
It shown as no longer available and I don't need the passthrough.

Seems like this one would do the trick:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1614892-REG/ubiquiti_networks_usw_flex_mini_unifi_usw_flex_mini.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI:5451&gclid=CjwKCAiA-9uNBhBTEiwAN3IlNLnKrTfdU6YYydWYLK_9wR_PXbqL7jiLIs4WKpWjNcoOLgSvWPVVPBoCfBkQAvD_BwE

Maybe need other software/hardware to manage it but it should be ok as a dumb switch?
"UniFi Network Controller platform"

Regarding the flex mini, some redditors discussed some of its limitations, which may or may not apply to you.

It shown as no longer available and I don't need the passthrough.

Seems like this one would do the trick:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1614892-REG/ubiquiti_networks_usw_flex_mini_unifi_usw_flex_mini.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI:5451&gclid=CjwKCAiA-9uNBhBTEiwAN3IlNLnKrTfdU6YYydWYLK_9wR_PXbqL7jiLIs4WKpWjNcoOLgSvWPVVPBoCfBkQAvD_BwE

Maybe need other software/hardware to manage it but it should be ok as a dumb switch?
"UniFi Network Controller platform"
After Ubiquiti's breech, there's a lot of people that are wary of their 'platform'. If it works without their software requirements or is otherwise able to be disconnected from the Internet, it might be a good fit, but I personally don't trust the company because of their response to the breech.

I use a Tenda TEG1105P-4-63W (63 Watt) 5-Port Gigabit PoE Switch, it was around £30.
It runs a security webcam with POE and has functioned flawlessly for over 3 yrs.

I use a Tenda TEG1105P-4-63W (63 Watt) 5-Port Gigabit PoE Switch, it was around £30.
It runs a security webcam with POE and has functioned flawlessly for over 3 yrs.
This is brand that to me is a bit sktech as their routers were packed full of 'call home' technology--but this product seems to meet the OP's needs. It's scary that companies like this are now looking legit as that will only help propagate spying by 'big brother'.

Reactions: Nenu
like this
This is brand that to me is a bit sktech as their routers were packed full of 'call home' technology--but this product seems to meet the OP's needs. It's scary that companies like this are now looking legit as that will only help propagate spying by 'big brother'.
Fair comment.

Back