Looking for a gaming chair.

Dan_D

Extremely [H]
Actually, I'm looking for a chair recommendation of any kind really. I am interested in gaming chairs as I've sat in a few that were fairly comfortable. I would prefer to keep the price to around $600 max, but I can flex that if need be. I've had the Herman Miller Aeron and the Ergo Human ME7ERG. I've killed about half a dozen cheap Office Max style chairs over the years so I am not interested in more of those. The ME7ERG I liked a lot, but mine is falling apart. I've had it for about eight years now. The companies warranty support isn't for shit either.

I would like something that at least has some conservative color options, no RGB (as that's evidently a thing in chairs now) and something with good casters on it. I have lower back issues and sit in my chair for periods of time that no human should subject themselves to, but I have to pay those bills. I have no requirement for mesh and frankly, I don't like how it wears over time. My ME7ERG is creating pressure points now that it's starting to sag and its quite unpleasant now. Something high quality with good durability is a must. I am fairly large at 6' 230lbs. Super narrow chairs like that first one that Corsair did are right out given that they are horribly uncomfortable.

Something with a head rest, be it adjustable or not is a must. I hated not having one on the Herman Miller.

I've also been researching chairs the last few days...my main takeaway is to avoid those 'gaming' chairs and stick with Ergonomic office chairs rated for high usage...avoid fake PU Leather and try and get a mesh one...the ideal options for me are 1) Steelcase Leap v2...2) Herman Miller Embody...3) Steelcase Gesture...but I can't bring myself to pay $1000+ for a chair...apparently used chairs can be had for cheap but I can't seem to find any in my area on Craig's List

my 2nd option is budget friendly but great price/performance chairs...Ikea Markus and Staples Hyken Mesh seem to be the best options in this category but there are certain things I don't like about each of them either from an aesthetic or feature standpoint

my 3rd option, which I really like is the SecretLab SoftWeave chair...but there's a long turnaround time before delivery- September 11th

https://secretlab.co/collections/omega-series#omega_2020_softweave-charcoal_blue

I really like what Secretlab is offering. Unfortunately, everything is listed as a "pre-order". They have almost zero availability right now.

I have been using a Secret Lab Titan 2020 Series for several months and really like it. There is a promotion where if you post a pic of the chair on certain social media they add two years to the warranty. I hate social media, so posted it on my wife's account and received the extension with very little effort.

I have been using a Secret Lab Titan 2020 Series for several months and really like it. There is a promotion where if you post a pic of the chair on certain social media they add two years to the warranty. I hate social media, so posted it on my wife's account and received the extension with very little effort.

are you using the PU Leather or SoftWeave?...is the seat comfortable?...I've seen people complain that it's a bit too hard

It has the PU Leather. I have sat in it for several hours without any discomfort. I thought it was going to be too hard when I just squeezed the back and pressed down on the seat cushion, but it is really quite comfortable.

I can recommend the Noblechairs Icon in leather for around $600. Fit and comfort are obviously subjective with chairs, but the Icon is perfect for me at 6'1" 200lbs. Its been in my computer room for over a year now with daily use and I'm very happy with it. Looks classy as well!

I can recommend the Noblechairs Icon in leather for around $600. Fit and comfort are obviously subjective with chairs, but the Icon is perfect for me at 6'1" 200lbs. Its been in my computer room for over a year now with daily use and I'm very happy with it. Looks classy as well!
I love both of my Noblechairs...chairs. Still using the Hero daily for almost 2 years. Still looks brand new.

Staples Hyken Mesh
I'm sitting in a revision of this right now. Wound up taking it to work, cause I sit there longer, and the available chair was ass...

Basically can't do leather or synthetic imitations myself. 6'1, ranging from 210 to 250, this chair has done alright. Main recommendation is to find something decent to put on the armrests as the cheap plastic can get uncomfortable.

I bought a refurbished Steelcase Leap v2 from Crandall Office back in March and I'm pretty happy with it. https://www.crandalloffice.com/
I like this chair better than the ~$1200 BodyBuilt ergonomic chair at work.
In Feb, I'd made the mistake of buying a mesh chair from Staples that is popular on Reddit, the Hyken Mesh. I got it for $130, now it sits upstairs at the kids computer. Sitting on that thing for 8+ hours day made my ass sore.

I like how Crandall gives you new gas cylinders, new armrests and new fabric on the chairs. It made the chair actually refurbished, imo. I just wish they'd had the option of new foam padding back when I purchased. I think it could use a little more padding for the full day of sitting.
They also give a 12 year warranty. So that helped me decide where I'd buy the refurbished chair.

I don't know if they have any options for headrests on other model chairs though.

They have an offer to give you a $50 amazon GC if you post a Youtube review, fyi.

I'm sitting in a revision of this right now. Wound up taking it to work, cause I sit there longer, and the available chair was ass...

Basically can't do leather or synthetic imitations myself. 6'1, ranging from 210 to 250, this chair has done alright. Main recommendation is to find something decent to put on the armrests as the cheap plastic can get uncomfortable.

one thing that I don't like about the SecretLab Omega is that the seat width is 14" (excluding sides) and 22" (including sides)...that seems pretty small...14" seems like the actual width because you're not going to be sitting on the raised 'sides' part which is listed as 22"... the Titan Width is 20.5" (including sides) and it doesn't seem to have the raised side panels but it's also more expensive

I like how Crandall gives you new gas cylinders, new armrests and new fabric on the chairs. It made the chair actually refurbished, imo. I just wish they'd had the option of new foam padding back when I purchased. I think it could use a little more padding for the full day of sitting.
They also give a 12 year warranty. So that helped me decide where I'd buy the refurbished chair.

I looked into Crandall but I don't understand something about them...do they replace the parts with 3rd party ones or do they use the exact same parts as the original chair (Steelcase parts for example)?...meaning do they replace the fabric with the exact same one that Steelcase uses?

if they 'remanufacture' the chair with a bunch of 3rd party items (fabric, gas cylinder etc) is it even considered a Steelcase V2 anymore?...how can you call a chair a Steelcase V2 but replace most of the core components with 3rd party ones?

I love both of my Noblechairs...chairs. Still using the Hero daily for almost 2 years. Still looks brand new.

I remember sitting in those back in the day. I couldn't remember what models they were. That may be the direction I go.

I looked into Crandall but I don't understand something about them...do they replace the parts with 3rd party ones or do they use the exact same parts as the original chair (Steelcase parts for example)?...meaning do they replace the fabric with the exact same one that Steelcase uses?

if they 'remanufacture' the chair with a bunch of 3rd party items (fabric, gas cylinder etc) is it even considered a Steelcase V2 anymore?...how can you call a chair a Steelcase V2 but replace most of the core components with 3rd party ones?

They have far more and different fabric than the OEM. I really like knowing that I got new fabric. Why is using non-OEM fabric an issue for you?

As for the gas cylinder, I opted for the upgraded "Heavy-duty" cylinder. It seems extremely robust, but you're right, it's not OEM. I believe the arm rests are OEM, because they look and operate exactly as the OEM ones I've seen from video reviews, but I don't know if they're truely OEM. The chair still is a Leap V2 because of the design and functionality. At least Crandall added value to the chair by actually rebuilding it instead of the other cheap sellers on eBay selling "refurbished" chairs where all they do is wipe it down.

Sorry for the hijack, Dan. I know the Leap doesn't have a headrest. The NobleChairs do look great and I might be buying one myself since we're adding another desk soon.

Get a Killa Bee it does just that they are cheap enough where you can't go wrong.

I use my Serta for everthing though the softer the seat the more relaxed my eyes are.
Gaming chairs are just that for locked in gaming.

I have a theory that Secretlab and Noblechair comes out of the same factory, different door.

They look very similar.

EDIT: Rewatching your video on the thing, I'd almost bet money that you are spot on with your theory. The Noblechair and Secretlab chairs are the only one with that lumber adjustment knob that I could find rather than just the lumbar pillow. It's one of the things that led me to the Secretlab chair. I only went with it over the Noblechair because you could get more color and design options on the Secretlab version. But again, they look virtually identical.

I'll know in about 30 days. I'll post some images and I'll bet that they are the same design.

Last edited:
those Noblechairs look interesting...nice middle ground between 'gaming' chairs and office chairs...which is also why I like the SecretLab option...another decent option akin to the Steelcase chairs (at a much lower price) is the Autonomous ErgoChair 2...

https://www.autonomous.ai/office-chairs/ergonomic-chair?option20=56

I have both the Noblechairs Epic and the ErgoChair2, and IMHO the Noblechairs Epic blows the ErgoChair 2 out of the water, any day of the week.

A good option for the Noblechairs line is to buy some covers for those plastic arm rests: this is the one I went with for the Noblechairs Epic -- Amazon link

Those covers work like a charm and are very plush and comfortable.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I ended up ordering a Secretlab Titan. We'll see how that goes. Unfortunately, it's about 30 days out. But nearly every chair I looked at had a 2-3 week lead time anyway.
You get the chair yet and if so how is it? Thinking of ordering one myself.

You get the chair yet and if so how is it? Thinking of ordering one myself.

I did get it. I got it three to four weeks early based on the original shipping ETA. I've had it about a week or so. Initial impressions are good, with the chair being reasonably comfortable. It isn't what you might expect though. The chair is extremely firm. The benefit to that is that its very supportive and my back certainly appreciates it. It's comfortable, but it isn't plush or anything like that.

I did get it. I got it three to four weeks early based on the original shipping ETA. I've had it about a week or so. Initial impressions are good, with the chair being reasonably comfortable. It isn't what you might expect though. The chair is extremely firm. The benefit to that is that its very supportive and my back certainly appreciates it. It's comfortable, but it isn't plush or anything like that.
I'd say the same about the Noblechairs Epic: quite comfortable, but not "plush" -- Kyle was right on the money with his Noblechairs review (from a few years' back), when he mentioned that Noblechairs' design was like the Mercedes-Benz designs of the 80s and 90s. With "plush" chairs, my butt will hurt after 8+hours, guaranteed. That hasn't even been close to happening with the Noblechairs Epic that I've been using (no pains anywhere on my body after 8+ hours). The Noblechairs' head cushion works great for my upper neck/lower head region, as well (very comfortable to tilt back in the chair and rest my head/neck on).

I'd say the same about the Noblechairs Epic: quite comfortable, but not "plush" -- Kyle was right on the money with his Noblechairs review (from a few years' back), when he mentioned that Noblechairs' design was like the Mercedes-Benz designs of the 80s and 90s. With "plush" chairs, my butt will hurt after 8+hours, guaranteed. That hasn't even been close to happening with the Noblechairs Epic that I've been using (no pains anywhere on my body after 8+ hours). The Noblechairs' head cushion works great for my upper neck/lower head region, as well (very comfortable to tilt back in the chair and rest my head/neck on).

That's been my experience so far as well.

That's been my experience so far as well.
Still sitting in mine every day. Still looks close to brand new too. I like the head pillow off the AK Racer chair in the background however. These are the two I kept for myself after I closed HardOCP. I did replace the casters on the noblechairs with roller blade type wheels as these are much smoother on my flooring.

zzz.jpg

Still sitting in mine every day. Still looks close to brand new too. I like the head pillow off the AK Racer chair in the background however. These are the two I kept for myself after I closed HardOCP. I did replace the casters on the noblechairs with roller blade type wheels as these are much smoother on my flooring.

View attachment 272415

I'll post pictures of mine later. But looking at yours, they are damn close. The arm rests look a bit different, but pretty close. Mechanically, I'd almost bet they are the same.

Secret Labs is very thick and stiff even over time. The one Linus MG picked out for their employee lounge for all the LAN stations is really good too. I myself recently bought a chair from Ikea, the Allefjaal but I only paid $180 for it. It's got a 10 year NQA warranty. It's great even if I'm on it for 8-12 hours a day. It's as thick and stiff cushioned as the day I got it. Ikea really outdid themselves with this. My only qualm about the chair is I wish side arm rests were more forward than they are but it's fine aside from that.

Gaming chairs can be nice and comfortable, but they're usually made from cheap parts that don't justify their costs IMO.
How many have you owned?

Rip and tear. Must be to fend off lawsuits for people who don't understand how bad cheap leather is.

I bought a refurbished Steelcase Leap v2 from Crandall Office back in March and I'm pretty happy with it. https://www.crandalloffice.com/
I like this chair better than the ~$1200 BodyBuilt ergonomic chair at work.
In Feb, I'd made the mistake of buying a mesh chair from Staples that is popular on Reddit, the Hyken Mesh. I got it for $130, now it sits upstairs at the kids computer. Sitting on that thing for 8+ hours day made my ass sore.

I don't know if they have any options for headrests on other model chairs though.

They have an offer to give you a $50 amazon GC if you post a Youtube review, fyi.

I had a bad experience with Crandall. Chair was a creaky, floppy mess.

I ended up just sucking it up and buying HM Aerons on sale. Sucked to pay that much but I don't regret it, they're great chairs and I'm covered for 12 years with a warranty.

I had a bad experience with Crandall. Chair was a creaky, floppy mess.

I ended up just sucking it up and buying HM Aerons on sale. Sucked to pay that much but I don't regret it, they're great chairs and I'm covered for 12 years with a warranty.

I liked the Aeron, but the lack of a headrest kills it for me. I had an older one that I bought used. I had it for several years before it fell apart and wasn't cost effective to repair.

I liked the Aeron, but the lack of a headrest kills it for me. I had an older one that I bought used. I had it for several years before it fell apart and wasn't cost effective to repair.

You can buy the headrest and add it later. Heck, they have the headrest on Amazon.

You can buy the headrest and add it later. Heck, they have the headrest on Amazon.

That's an aftermarket solution and "tacked on" as I recall. Not really good enough in my opinion given the chair's price. The Ergohuman ME7ERG costs half that and is far more comfortable in my opinion. Then again, the Aeron's do seem to last longer.

I'm a bigger person and have not liked any of the "gaming" chairs I've ever tried. They seem to "wear out" in no time, especially now that I work from home full time. I work for a MSP that provides services to an office furniture company, and got a great deal on a "mis ordered" Humanscale Freedom - Headrest chair. Similar to a new mattress, I feel that my office chair is an investment as much time as I spend using it and you really get what you pay for.

Then again, the Aeron's do seem to last longer.
Mine is at least 20 years old. Austin got after it with a screwdriver when he was like 3 years old. I just have other chairs I find more comfortable and give me better lumbar support.
IMG_20200825_132502.jpg

Mine is at least 20 years old. Austin got after it with a screwdriver when he was like 3 years old. I just have other chairs I find more comfortable and give me better lumbar support.
View attachment 273026

The one I had was bought used. It was originally manufactured in the 1990's and I threw it out last year. They definitely last. Mine would simply have cost more than it was worth to repair.

If I may, I got a question for those who own the Titan/NobleChair and like it: what’s your weight and height?

I've been looking at getting one for a while, but I'm worried about its stiffness. From reading around, it seems like the heavier you are the more comfortable the Titan is. Since I’m 5'8 and light weight at 160lb, I’m afraid it may not be comfortable for 10+ hours of usage a day.

I’m currently using a Dormeo Espo Osctaspring Manager Chair from staples that was given to me. The armrests are starting to cave in a little and while its mostly comfortable, its not means to support a full day of work and an evening of leisure.

Last edited:
If I may, I got a question for those who own the Titan/NobleChair and like it: what’s your weight and height?

I've been looking at getting one for a while, but I'm worried about its stiffness. From reading around, it seems like the heavier you are the more comfortable the Titan is. Since I’m 5.8 and light weight at 160lb, I’m afraid it may not be comfortable for 10+ hours of usage a day.

I’m currently using a Dormeo Espo Osctaspring Manager Chair from staples that was given to me. The armrests are starting to cave in a little and while its mostly comfortable, its not means to support a full day of work and an evening of leisure.

I am 6' and about 230lbs.

i dont think SecretLab SoftWeave gonna make it in time. What about a full leather gaming chair? Maybe from Noblechairs with good armrest. I found the german comparrion site Computerdigital.de very helpful unlike others.

i dont think SecretLab SoftWeave gonna make it in time. What about a full leather gaming chair? Maybe from Noblechairs with good armrest. I found the german comparrion site Computerdigital.de very helpful unlike others.

Leather gets hot. If you can keep the room cold enough, you might be OK. In my office, I have a ceiling fan which doesn't help near enough. I have lots of equipment running all the time so leather chairs get very hot.

Back