Looking for a functionless keyboard

Kerkain

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone.

I am looking for a keyboard that does NOT have the F1-F12 or the FN keys on it. I've been looking through 60% and 65% keyboards but everything I've looked at has a FN button with a function layer.

Extremely basic keyboard. Ideally it won't have RGB either. QWERTY and Number Row keys. Wireless or Wired. Mechanical or standard. No 10 Key.

Anyone know of anything like this that exists?

I would expect that every keyboard of that size has a function layer since there's a perfect spot for the FN key in the lower right. What would expect to be in that place instead?

Do you have a specific issue with an FN key, or are you looking for minimal for the sake of minimal?

I would expect that every keyboard of that size has a function layer since there's a perfect spot for the FN key in the lower right. What would expect to be in that place instead?

Do you have a specific issue with an FN key, or are you looking for minimal for the sake of minimal?
Before FN keys were common, the control and alt keys were wider and there was a gap between them. Around 1995 or so, they added the Windows alt-menu key in that space and shrunk the control and alt keys slightly. So that's probably what the OP is wanting. A keyboard that doesn't bother with the FN stuff.

As for what he wants, there are a lot of requirements that are difficult to find. I'm not sure why you wouldn't want F1-F12 keys, given they serve an actual purpose. To each their own I guess.

I think you'd have to build a custom keyboard, and just not put the function keys in, and come up with some sort of custom housing.

I'm a bit perplexed why'd you want a keyboard without the function keys, because they've been in wide use since the IBM era.

The keyboard isn't for normal computing use. Trying to fix a people problem. The function keys in this specific instance will shortcut through a process incorrectly and cause more problems down the road, long story I'd rather not get into it. So, I'm on the lookout to see if it exists and remove the possibility of human error entirely. It seems like a custom keyboard might be the only solution.

The keyboard isn't for normal computing use. Trying to fix a people problem. The function keys in this specific instance will shortcut through a process incorrectly and cause more problems down the road, long story I'd rather not get into it. So, I'm on the lookout to see if it exists and remove the possibility of human error entirely. It seems like a custom keyboard might be the only solution.
Custom keyboard, or some sort of man-in-the-middle device that only allows the QWERTY keys through.

Your best bet would probably be to find a 60% keyboard with a customizable function layer and just set that layer to do nothing.

Build a box around the keyboard to physically exclude the function keys?

Just grab the E waste keyboards that come new with any new office computer, and inject a little hot glue under the function keys so they cannot be pressed

Back