Long Distance Networking

Roberty

Extremely [H]
I need to extend the range of my network. Here's my situation:

My local DSL provider is sticking it to me because I have the DSL on my business number. My business is about 650 feet from my home and I would like to get the DSL switched over to my house and use it at work as well. I also have a pool and pool house about 1500ft away. This is a small mom and pop type business so basically it's just going to be me and my wife on it. I did a little research and saw that about 350ft is about the max distance that a wired network can handle and my house and business are about twice that distance. I know that some wireless networks can handle that distance (a local truck stop with a HUGE parking lot has wifi coverage on the whole lot) so my question is what would be my best option without spending a fortune?
I don't mind running underground network cable if that's the best route but I don't think it will work in my case. The pool area at 1500ft is optional but it would be nice if I could use a laptop while taking it easy on the weekends there. Any ideas about equipment and distances would be much appreciated.

Pretty much. There are a couple of trees but nothing major.

Depending on your budget, fiber is your best option. Not the cheapest, but it's the "proper" way to connect it.

Your other options include directional amplified antennas and blast your wireless. This however, is not ideal as everything will affect it (weather, objects, time of day, etc).

+1 for fiber. Its becoming cheaper and cheaper to se, just not sure how much it'll like been underground

other wise a high gain directional antenna will suffice

Phil

This really all depends on your budget.

The best way to do this is run fiber to each building and distribute from their.

Wireless is an option as long as its only going internet browsing and the likes, anything else and its going to be painful.

I also agree about the fiber. Fiber to link your networks, but if you only need internet access have you thought about buying an old TV dish and converted it as an antenna? You can tie in multiple wireless access points so you can chain them together. There are ways to turn AP into a repeater. Make sure your satellite dishes are pointed toward the right directions. Good luck. Your situation can be solved with a careful research.

Do you have "right of way" to run fiber from your home to your business? If you don't, fiber is not an option.

Does your telco offer naked DSL (DSL without phone service)? If so, perhaps you could order residential naked DSL so that it wouldn't be tied to your business line.

Do you have "right of way" to run fiber from your home to your business? If you don't, fiber is not an option.

Does your telco offer naked DSL (DSL without phone service)? If so, perhaps you could order residential naked DSL so that it wouldn't be tied to your business line.
Since he's already said:

I don't mind running underground network cable if that's the best route...

I would think he has the access he needs. Not to mention, you don't necessarily need the "right of way" to dig. You can either get permission (which usually isn't much of an issue) or have someone do the directional drilling.

Yes, the right of way thing is a non-issue. Anyone know how much fiber optic cable is now?

Let me know if you want fiber, I got 18 spools of 100M patch cables. Cheap as dirt.

Yes, the right of way thing is a non-issue. Anyone know how much fiber optic cable is now?

If you have an old TV satellite in your basement or if your neighbors and friends have one, get one or two. You can place a cheap WRT-54GL router ($60) in between location and use DD-WRT linux OS and convert the router into AP repeater. The moding the dish into an antenna is very quick and easy. It may go a lot further than you need to go.

One solution is HomeCNA:
http://www.newtechindustries.com/ne...homepna_hpce-322m_ethernet_bridge_to_coax.htm

Less than $400 for the home to office setup at 100Mbit. Possible to do the pool setup also, 1500ft is well within the range for HomeCNA.

Your other option is a pair of 2wire 1000HW/1000SW/1800HW modems, in bridge mode. A pair will run you around $50 on ebay. 1000' spool of phone cord will cost you less than $50. This will give you a 10Mbit connection. HomePNA 2.0 is limited to around 1000ft, so the pool is a no-go.

Back