Linus Media Group YouTube Channels Hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
LTT: We're going to house our keys in a private github repo from now on.

(next day)

Microsoft: Sorry LTT, we accidentally made your private repo into a public one, our bad.

Who cares? It brings money. You people need get off your high horse. I would love to be able to mimic his personality and make millions.
You could do it, just get a camera and start recording yourself with enough cocaine to give you energy the entire time. Also being attractive and have a good listening voice. I would not want to spend my entire day being an infomercial or the equivalent of a MTV show from way back when someone followed you around with a camera. The dude is worth a lot of money but that came from a lot of shilling and probably borderline bankruptcies. Considering how little and how long YouTube now pays with ad revenue, he must been doing a lot of shilling. That and every video he does fixing his home is basically a tax write off, which kind makes me wonder how much the Canadian government paid for his homes.

If working to get stuff sponsored is now shilling... you people are loosing it.

You could do it, just get a camera and start recording yourself with enough cocaine to give you energy the entire time. Also being attractive and have a good listening voice. I would not want to spend my entire day being an infomercial or the equivalent of a MTV show from way back when someone followed you around with a camera. The dude is worth a lot of money but that came from a lot of shilling and probably borderline bankruptcies. Considering how little and how long YouTube now pays with ad revenue, he must been doing a lot of shilling. That and every video he does fixing his home is basically a tax write off, which kind makes me wonder how much the Canadian government paid for his homes.
... probably not as much as you think. It's Canada, not America.

Can we get back to the actual topic instead of indulging in libertarian fantasies, please?

Whatever you think of LTT's content, the breach was terrible and the company didn't deserve it. Imagine having your business virtually gutted by scammers who bypassed what you thought was a secure setup. You'd rightly be furious, not to mention worried about all the employees put at risk.

Can we get back to the actual topic instead of indulging in libertarian fantasies, please?

Whatever you think of LTT's content, the breach was terrible and the company didn't deserve it. Imagine having your business virtually gutted by scammers who bypassed what you thought was a secure setup. You'd rightly be furious, not to mention worried about all the employees put at risk.
On the plus side, Elon Musk's crypto has gone up.

8cb.png

In seriousness though it does suck, but if we all just posted something about how awful that is, the thread wouldn't be as entertaining as it is. :)

Oh you mean the people with the actual talent? Yeah pretty sure they'll be fine.

Linus made a career out of opening boxes, him I'd be worried about

Considering how little and how long YouTube now pays with ad revenue, he must been doing a lot of shilling.
Why do you think he flogs his merch (and Floatplane) so hard? It's an independent revenue stream, and IIRC it's been the majority of his income for years.

the thread wouldn't be as entertaining as it is.
I'd rather just have someone link to the *last* time there was a LTT-related thread and the inevitable exact same arguments about how awful Linus is, so we don't have to have it *again*. But just like the AMD/nVidia haters/fanbois, no, every damn thread has to get derailed with hundreds of posts of meta ranting.

I never understood the dislike for him. As an idiot on most things tech, I found his videos useful when I was researching something. ./shrug
I think part of it is just because he's popular. There seems to be a lot of nerd-hate against popular people/things. If the normies like it, that is enough to make some people dislike it. Part is probably pedantry. Something you'll notice if you hang out on nerd forums, like here, for long enough is that some people get very hung up on everything being technically correct and detailed enough. So if a place like LTT simplifies things or doesn't expound on the technical details to what they consider to be an acceptable level, they'll get mad.

Finally I think some of it is jealousy. Linus was some nerd who worked at a computer parts retailer, started a Youtube channel, and turned that into a literal fortune. I think there are some people that are jealous he was able to do that.

I think part of it is just because he's popular. There seems to be a lot of nerd-hate against popular people/things. If the normies like it, that is enough to make some people dislike it. Part is probably pedantry. Something you'll notice if you hang out on nerd forums, like here, for long enough is that some people get very hung up on everything being technically correct and detailed enough. So if a place like LTT simplifies things or doesn't expound on the technical details to what they consider to be an acceptable level, they'll get mad.

Finally I think some of it is jealousy. Linus was some nerd who worked at a computer parts retailer, started a Youtube channel, and turned that into a literal fortune. I think there are some people that are jealous he was able to do that.
I can kind of relate to Garrett Mitchel's channel, Cleetus McFarland.

As a guy that turns wrenches, I can't watch his videos anymore. Its like watching real life Grand Theft Auto. I just roll my eyes at just about all of it. Haven't watched him in years.

As a guy that turns wrenches, I can't watch his videos anymore. Its like watching real life Grand Theft Auto. I just roll my eyes at just about all of it. Haven't watched him in years.
I mean I certainly don't mind if people don't like it, though I will say as a guy who is pretty high level in to tech (my technical title is IT Architect III) I find his content amusing. I wouldn't want to hire him to implement our storage solution, but it is amusing watching him fumble around with theirs.

yes hes integrated more "entertainment", but youve missed all his best builds...

Yeah of course it couldn't be anything else other than him being popular and successful 🤣🤣

It's been obvious to me from the start that this guy wanted to be rich and famous more than he was into technology and computing. He leveraged the popularity of unboxing videos at just the right time and struck gold. He's not into tech, he just wants to see himself on YouTube, drive a nice car and be popular. He named his company after himself for crying out loud.

I put that nudnick JayTwoCents in the same category too.

Lol, okay. I sure do dream about shilling my entire life out.
I mean if all I have to do on a daily basis is make a few videos where I need to say "but before that, this video is sponsored by NordVPN or Ridgewallet or whatever else" I'd be an instrument for advertising and not feel bad at all.

Yeah of course it couldn't be anything else other than him being popular and successful 🤣🤣

It's been obvious to me from the start that this guy wanted to be rich and famous more than he was into technology and computing. He leveraged the popularity of unboxing videos at just the right time and struck gold. He's not into tech, he just wants to see himself on YouTube, drive a nice car and be popular. He named his company after himself for crying out loud.

What's wrong with that, wanting to be rich and famous?

JayzNoSense is the only one I genuinely don't like. He often comes off with a holier than thou attitude then passes off bad info with watercooling and as a watercooler myself, I get pissy when techtubers just take shit out of boxes because EK sponsored a vid, and throw a loop together so their audience has zero idea about loop prep/cleaning, etc. And then he just genuinely gives out a lot of terrible advice and then tries to play the "I'm stupid, don't listen to me" card. Well you put out videos, so clearly you want people to watch and listen to you.

Also because of all these sponsored vids you get all these new people trying to do their first loop and they have 0 idea how the hell to actually do it properly to have good flow rates, good airflow/radiator placement, loop prep, and they all automatically assume EK is da best because its in all the videos and costs the most. It's breeding a dumber generation of watercoolors.

Imagine having your business virtually gutted by scammers who bypassed what you thought was a secure setup.
well his channel was down for like 12 hrs. in hindsight it wasn't that big a deal when it comes to money/income, i wouldn't say he got gutted.

I never understood the dislike for him. As an idiot on most things tech, I found his videos useful when I was researching something. ./shrug
back when he was doing no nonsense case reviews, it really was decent content. but now with the constant shilling of $40 watter bottles and constant pictures of him modeling his linus branded underwear on top of whatever sponsor is sponsoring the vids. the sometimes bad info pushed and the just the over the top cringiness. i think that's what people don't like? like how his channel turned into romper room techvids for kids and the fake loud annoying gen z teenager vibe the channel has turned into but hey i guess it's all part of his brand now.

edit: i don't think it's to do with being jealous of how much money he has

but hey nobodies telling you not to watch it, if you really think he's that hillarious then it's what it is.

Pretty much. Nobody tossing around 'theories' why a forum member might like his content, yet a lot of them being flung back as to why people don't...
I think the difference is the level of vitriol that people who don't like him put out. When I don't like something, I usually ignore it. There are plenty of threads on here about things I don't care about and I just ignore them, because I don't care.

That's not what happened here. On the mild end you have people exclaiming how they don't like him like "I ignored this chump on youtuber a long long time ago," to people hating on him personally "I've never met a sales guy who knew shit about shit," to personal attacks "I watch linus every once and a while to see if his balls ever drop and that girly voice disappears," to things like "Whores are still whores."

It isn't just "Meh, not my kind of Youtube channel," it is hatred directed at him. That's what's strange, and that's why people like me suspect there is something like jealousy or the like going on.

I think the difference is the level of vitriol that people who don't like him put out. When I don't like something, I usually ignore it. There are plenty of threads on here about things I don't care about and I just ignore them, because I don't care.

That's not what happened here. On the mild end you have people exclaiming how they don't like him like "I ignored this chump on youtuber a long long time ago," to people hating on him personally "I've never met a sales guy who knew shit about shit," to personal attacks "I watch linus every once and a while to see if his balls ever drop and that girly voice disappears," to things like "Whores are still whores."

It isn't just "Meh, not my kind of Youtube channel," it is hatred directed at him. That's what's strange, and that's why people like me suspect there is something like jealousy or the like going on.
I don't know if I'd call it jealousy, I think they just see him doing something in a way they have idealogical or philisophical issues with (like he shouldn't be able to make money the way he does) and run with it. I don't care one way or another, I just don't watch his stuff. Problem solved, lol.

I did watch his video where he explained what happened. I thought that was interesting, I saw something similar happen to Corridor Crew's YouTube channel several months ago. They're not a tech channel, more special effects guys, so I don't think they went too much into what happened, just that it happened and they got their channel back. So, all was well.

but now with the constant shilling of $40 watter bottles and constant pictures of him modeling his linus branded underwear
You would prefer--knowing he's not going to NOT advertise--that he shilled VPNs or Raid: Shadow legends like other tech tubers?

At leat his stuff is quality, even if it is overpriced--which it always isn't. The hoodies are worth what they cost, compared to other $60 hoodies.

Hating on popular things has always been kind of stupid IMO.

I can somewhat empathize hating on a band overplayed on the radio because you're forced to listen to the radio at work or something. (even though said band has no control over it, you should be hating the radio station or whoever is in charge of playing that radio station)

But c'mon guys, youtubers? Just don't watch the fucking video. They aren't spreading lies or scamming people. They're providing entertainment and information that a lot of people like. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

These meme comes to mind
602.png

Yes

No

"I would love to literally suck dick and make millions"

Same deal - yes to the latter - no to the former
You couldn't pay me to be the most punchable nerd on the internet. Linus was vetted to be in the position he is precisely because he has no dignity.

I feel bad for the people who don't value their dignity and don't have the millions. That must be a tough spot to be in - no wonder they envy Linus. There's more to life than having millions of dollars, nerds.

There's really nothing wrong with people agreeing on something or someone popular sucking. When you start calling everyone who doesn't like him "jealous", it just sounds like a cope. You clearly do have some sort of affection for Linus if you're going out of the way to attack people who agree that he sucks. I think he sucks, hard. If you don't, then I think you're probably a weirdo similar to Linus. You can cope but it doesn't change how many of us feel about the quality of his content.

Remember that the internet isn't a "free market". Linus is occupying an influencer position on Youtube, which has thousands of similar influencers. These people are where they are because of their relationships with sponsors, companies, etc. and receive algorithmic boosts for being "good boys". I could go into detail about how bad his content is (particularly bad when it comes to misleading his viewers), but I think that deserves a topic of its own. But the point is that Linus doesn't actually provide anything substantial to the human race and could easily be replaced with any nerdy influencer on Youtube.

You couldn't pay me to be the most punchable nerd on the internet. Linus was vetted to be in the position he is precisely because he has no dignity.

I feel bad for the people who don't value their dignity and don't have the millions. That must be a tough spot to be in - no wonder they envy Linus.

I recall once a long time ago he was talking about on his video podcast how he went on a diatribe at lunch with a friends couple and his wife, and he was going on about how he knew his wife was ugly, and was defending himself saying his wife was ugly (while she was sitting right there next to him at lunch, and then also on the podcast)

1) his poor wife

2) absolutely no dignity

Kind of like a whore

Edit: Now we wait for someone to tell me I'm jealous on Linus' ugly wife lol

Last edited:
back when he was doing no nonsense case reviews, it really was decent content. but now with the constant shilling of $40 watter bottles and constant pictures of him modeling his linus branded underwear on top of whatever sponsor is sponsoring the vids. the sometimes bad info pushed and the just the over the top cringiness. i think that's what people don't like? like how his channel turned into romper room techvids for kids and the fake loud annoying gen z teenager vibe the channel has turned into but hey i guess it's all part of his brand now.
Ah, I guess I didn't dig that deep into it. Most recently was air cooling vs water cooling, and which air coolers. Showed a bunch of stats and stuff. Peerless Assassin, boom. done.

There's really nothing wrong with people agreeing on something or someone popular sucking. When you start calling everyone who doesn't like him "jealous", it just sounds like a cope. You clearly do have some sort of affection for Linus if you're going out of the way to attack people who agree that he sucks. I think he sucks, hard. If you don't, then I think you're probably a weirdo similar to Linus. You can cope but it doesn't change how many of us feel about the quality of his content.
So wait, you think I'm attacking people, but then you are the one who says that if someone doesn't agree with you they are a "weirdo similar to Linus?" Bro, you are the one out with the personal attacks. It sounds far more like cope when you say "If you don't agree with me, you're a weirdo."

Could be worse, could be the Verge PC Guy.
Linus even gave that guy a voice to rebuttal his actions in an LTT video. Linus didn't have to, but he saw how the internet bullied that poor guy and let him use LTT's platform to redeem some public image.

I still see Linus as one of the good guys. There are far worse scum out there.

I recall once a long time ago he was talking about on his video podcast how he went on a diatribe at lunch with a friends couple and his wife, and he was going on about how he knew his wife was ugly, and was defending himself saying his wife was ugly (while she was sitting right there next to him at lunch, and then also on the podcast)

1) his poor wife

2) absolutely no dignity

Kind of like a whore

Edit: Now we wait for someone to tell me I'm jealous on Linus' ugly wife lol
If that happened, that is really dumb. But don't care enough to look into it. But as for her being ugly...she looks OK to me!
https://www.lttstore.com/products/triangle-bralette

People seem to have really high bars now for both men and women to be non-ugly. Oddly enough, obesity is excluded, and is now considered "beautiful." No offense to those overweight or even anyone else not physically "fit." Just the use of words are becoming ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back