Linus Media Group YouTube Channels Hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be honest. I have biases.

If he got rid of the stupid colorful hoodies and earrings, and stopped being a goof and hamming it up for the camera I probably would be less bothered by him.

That said, his seeming lack of technical knowledge is still quite disturbing form someone who does what he does.

He is definitely no Kyle. And no Anand Lal Shimpi, or even a Dr. Thomas Pabst. He has people who know their shit like them working for him, but personally I'd rather just cut out the middle man and hear it straight from the person who knows what the hell they are talking about. I don't need the pretty faced tech anchor.
?????

I thought you said Linus was entertaining as all could be? Sorry am surprised by your statement here

?????

I thought you said Linus was entertaining as all could be? Sorry am surprised by your statement here
Something can be "entertaining" in a mocking sort of way. I feel like Linus is just a monkey dancing for the camera and that his numerous screw ups can be entertaining.

He said not too long ago (Linus) he also got scammed out of money when building his house (?) or a deal going on with another company (?) where email chain was compromised and they got Linus to send money to the scammers or something IIRC

Linus Tech Tips isn't that Linus Tech Smart

Gonna be something like:

❌💻✨HaXoReD!!1!!!!✨💻❌ 😱💻❌

I am subscribed because LTT does sometimes cover things of interest to me in ways that other channels do not. Not often, so the vast majority of their content I ignore. Once in a while they test something in ways that no one else has, and give valuable info as a result. The WAN shows are interesting sometimes too. Just have to wait until timestamps are available to keep skipping through a lot of repetitive fluff.

Even though I am not holding my breath on how good or successful it will be, the thing I am most interested in is their big project to create a so-called "LTT Labs" tech product search engine / directory that directly tests and compares tech products in detail on a large scale. Not to go into too much detail, but no their idea isn't anything like "review sites" we currently have for tech products. It is a much larger scale project with far more detail, direct comparison, and orientation towards allowing a user to research and make an informed purchasing decision for their specific product uses rather than just throwing a bunch of random info out there and leaving it to the user to wade through it (like everyone does at the moment). Can they pull it off? Not confident - but I look forward to seeing what happens.

So I don't think LTT deserves criticism as 100% mainstream entertainment-only, as they do sometimes offer productive info and appear to be trying to proceed with an innovative project that if successful will be of benefit to consumers. However, with all that in mind, yes, Linus is definitely not the most sensible. The whole LTT backpack warranty debacle (there were unreasonable "takes" on both sides though). And if you were listening to one of their WAN shows last month, he announced he was investing in a new venture outside LTT, as he does sometimes. He knew one of the founders of the startup and had confidence in their product vision which is aligned with his goals (he has been frustrated with poor design of competing products). They reached a business agreement but neither side had formally signed any agreements or contracts yet.

He didn't want that to hold up the start of any of their business activities, so he went ahead and gave them a check with his investment before anything was signed...

So yeah, I don't think I need to explain how bad of an idea that is. And no I am not saying the guy could or is likely to intentionally scam him - but when money is involved, all details not being clear to all parties upfront and legally agreed is asking for big trouble lol. It is his own personal money though, not an investment that puts his employees' jobs at risk if he were to lose it. So not an ethical problem - he just isn't the most sensible as I said :)

EDIT: Also, I know some of you guys are being only semi-serious/joking, but for those that aren't, you need to separate what people do as a necessity for career and business success (not talking about unethical things) and who they are as a person. They have mentioned before that they themselves (or at least Linus, Luke, and probably others) are not a fan of some of the things they have to do to run a successful YouTube channel.

They've mentioned they don't like having to put weird faces on thumbnail pictures and using exaggerated titles. But they have thoroughly checked the analytics and found that videos without them make far less views and money even if the content is similar. They have also had to cut out some regular content with more in-depth technical detail because they were poorly performing compared to content leaning more towards entertainment. Blame the viewers and either ignore the content you don't like or don't bother watching the channel at all. They are also creating other channels for less popular content. No need to take it personally and judge them for trying to make money. They are not elected government leaders with some moral obligation.

Last edited:
I am subscribed because LTT does sometimes cover things of interest to me in ways that other channels do not. Not often, so the vast majority of their content I ignore. Once in a while they test something in ways that no one else has, and give valuable info as a result. The WAN shows are interesting sometimes too. Just have to wait until timestamps are available to keep skipping through a lot of repetitive fluff.

Even though I am not holding my breath on how good or successful it will be, the thing I am most interested in is their big project to create a so-called "LTT Labs" tech product search engine / directory that directly tests and compares tech products in detail on a large scale. Not to go into too much detail, but no their idea isn't anything like "review sites" we currently have for tech products. It is a much larger scale project with far more detail, direct comparison, and orientation towards allowing a user to research and make an informed purchasing decision for their specific product uses rather than just throwing a bunch of random info out there and leaving it to the user to wade through it (like everyone does at the moment). Can they pull it off? Not confident - but I look forward to seeing what happens.

So I don't think LTT deserves criticism as 100% mainstream entertainment-only, as they do sometimes offer productive info and appear to be trying to proceed with an innovative project that if successful will be of benefit to consumers. However, with all that in mind, yes, Linus is definitely not the most sensible. The whole LTT backpack warranty debacle (there were unreasonable "takes" on both sides though). And if you were listening to one of their WAN shows last month, he announced he was investing in a new venture outside LTT, as he does sometimes. He knew one of the founders of the startup and had confidence in their product vision which is aligned with his goals (he has been frustrated with poor design of competing products). They reached a business agreement but neither side had formally signed any agreements or contracts yet.

He didn't want that to hold up the start of any of their business activities, so he went ahead and gave them a check with his investment before anything was signed...

So yeah, I don't think I need to explain how bad of an idea that is. And no I am not saying the guy could or is likely to intentionally scam him - but when money is involved, all details not being clear to all parties upfront and legally agreed is asking for big trouble lol. It is his own personal money though, not an investment that puts his employees' jobs at risk if he were to lose it. So not an ethical problem - he just isn't the most sensible as I said :)

So, what you're talking about is an entirely other time he was scammed apparently

This is what I was talking about

So yeah, Linus is apparently just a fucking retard lol how many times has he been scammed in total?

Do you guys think we could scam him for some money??? He's apparently just giving it away all the time 🤔

I enjoyed his budget build competition videos, mainly for dumb entertainment value. In that instance he is only about 1/4 of the cast so he is less annoying. As far as his normal videos I only really remember liking the high refresh rate test video where he had a high speed camera and gamers of different skill levels to test out a bunch of different frame limits and monitor configurations. I don't think I had seen anyone try and test that out before.

So yeah, I don't think I need to explain how bad of an idea that is. And no I am not saying the guy could or is likely to intentionally scam him - but when money is involved, all details not being clear to all parties upfront is asking for big trouble lol. It is his own personal money though, not an investment that puts his employees' jobs at risk if he were to lose it. So not an ethical problem - he just isn't the most sensible as I said :)

I mean, sure. If you are choosing between no source for tech stuff, and LTT, someone who watches LTT is probably going to be better informed than someone who watches or reads nothing at all.

That said, we are in a sad state today compared to when HardOCP, Anandtech and even Toms Hardware were in their prime.

All of that said, I'm sure Linus laughs his way all the way to the bank on this topic.

He has certainly made it work for himself financially, and that is not a skill that should be scoffed at.

Don't make the mistake of "he is successful, so he must know what he is talking about" though. That is generally not true in any aspect of life. Most successful people I have met are some of the worst informed meatballs ever.

So, what you're talking about is an entirely other time he was scammed apparently

This is what I was talking about

So yeah, Linus is apparently just a fucking retard lol how many times has he been scammed in total?

If I understood correctly it was his business partner whom he had already had dealings with who was compromised and from there the 90k$ scam happened, yes? That is a brutally hard scam to avoid unless the scammer shows obvious red flags. Linus may be a doofus but for that scam calling him a retard is a bit too much.

I mean, sure. If you are choosing between no source for tech stuff, and LTT, someone who watches LTT is probably going to be better informed than someone who watches or reads nothing at all.

That said, we are in a sad state today compared to when HardOCP, Anandtech and even Toms Hardware were in their prime,

All of that said, I'm sure Linus laughs his way all the way to the bank on this topic.

He has certainly made it work for himself financially, and that is not a skill that should be scoffed at.

Don't make the mistake of "he is successful, so he must know what he is talking about" though. That is generally not true in any aspect of life. Most successful people I have met are some of the worst informed meatballs ever.
Oh yeah, if your main goal is to be "informed" about tech, and you are only using one YouTube source, LTT definitely should not be it. If you have limited sources, it shouldn't even be one among a small number of primary sources. It is a supplemental source. And Linus himself is not an expert on anything - he's a tech generalist. And as you said, we are in a sad state. Even channels like Gamers Nexus and Hardware Unboxed, who are among the best still in the industry, have serious problems with their reviews and information (or lack of it) they provide.

I have recently been planning a new PC build and was looking at AM5 motherboards. After months, only a single site/channel/person on the entire internet has done a serious X670 roundup/comparison of any kind, and that was Hardware Unboxed. And it was pathetic. Not only did they not check hardly anything important to real-world use, which is the case for most reviews everywhere of all PC parts now, they didn't even check half the things they checked with their last roundup of Z690 motherboards. It was just "here's the VRM temps, here are the official specs, here are the prices - done." It was divided into several tiers of price ranges going all the way up $1,000+.

"If you want spend this much then these are the ones we recommend."

So I don't WANT to give my money to someone else. I want to give my money to someone in return for something I want back. So what do I get for spending $500 compared to $300? What do I get for $1000 compared to $500? WHY would you recommend spending X amount to get this? How does real-world use of this $300 board compare to the $500 one?

Nothing - no answers at all. "If you decided you will spend $500, pick this board." And that was the best motherboard roundup on the internet - the rest were significantly more trivial.

Is that how people shop now? Do people decide "I'm not spending less than X and I'm not spending more than Y either" and pick a part in that range irregardless of features, quality, performance, reliability, support/warranty, etc...?

If I understood correctly it was his business partner whom he had already had dealings with who was compromised and from there the 90k$ scam happened, yes? That is a brutally hard scam to avoid unless the scammer shows obvious red flags. Linus may be a doofus but for that scam calling him a retard is a bit too much.

Yeah don't call to confirm/talk about via other communication methods before wiring $90k or anything, just send the money

Just chalk it up to 'live and learn', not being retarded

Nah, scratch that, I stand by what I said

Getting scammed once is a mistake

A pattern of being scammed/scammable means you're fucking retarded

Edit: What he should do seeing as we've seen he just hands out money to any Dick and Jane willy-nilly, is hire someone to handle his money for him. Or let his wife solely handle their money if he's too cheap to do that. This way there's a barrier between him being retarded and his money; and whenever he wants permission to use some money - someone can go "Have you called/verified/got whatever in writing?" and then he can mumble "no..." and sulk away. 👍

Last edited:
its like watching gamers nexus...where they complain about the silliest thing that almost no consumer would care about and then call it a bad product.
I like shows that have chapter breaks in the play bar, so I can jump around to the topic I want rather than watch a 20 minute show that could have answered/addressed the topic/video title in like 2 minutes.

I do watch LTT videos sometimes and have no issue with him but he really does like to market his stuff. He is growing the hech out of the business so he must be doing something right. Seems better than GN's tech Jesus who seems to dislike everything.

Oh yeah, if your main goal is to be "informed" about tech, and you are only using one YouTube source, LTT definitely should not be it. If you have limited sources, it shouldn't even be one among a small number of primary sources. It is a supplemental source. And Linus himself is not an expert on anything - he's a tech generalist. And as you said, we are in a sad state. Even channels like Gamers Nexus and Hardware Unboxed, who are among the best still in the industry, have serious problems with their reviews and information (or lack of it) they provide.

I have recently been planning a new PC build and was looking at AM5 motherboards. After months, only a single site/channel/person on the entire internet has done a serious X670 roundup/comparison of any kind, and that was Hardware Unboxed. And it was pathetic. Not only did they not check hardly anything important to real-world use, which is the case for most reviews everywhere of all PC parts now, they didn't even check half the things they checked with their last roundup of Z690 motherboards. It was just "here's the VRM temps, here are the official specs, here are the prices - done." It was divided into several tiers of price ranges going all the way up $1,000+.

"If you want spend this much then these are the ones we recommend."

So I don't WANT to give my money to someone else. I want to give my money to someone in return for something I want back. So what do I get for spending $500 compared to $300? What do I get for $1000 compared to $500? WHY would you recommend spending X amount to get this? How does real-world use of this $300 board compare to the $500 one?

Nothing - no answers at all. "If you decided you will spend $500, pick this board." And that was the best motherboard roundup on the internet - the rest were significantly more trivial.

Is that how people shop now? Do people decide "I'm not spending less than X and I'm not spending more than Y either" and pick a part in that range irregardless of features, quality, performance, reliability, support/warranty, etc...?

Agreed. When looking for new PC components, video (and site) reviews feel like they're literally avoiding the questions I have. Instead it's just a rush to show the same graphs as everyone else.
You kinda just have to guess or wait around for a particularly high % of Reddit complaint posts.

They've mentioned they don't like having to put weird faces on thumbnail pictures and using exaggerated titles. But they have thoroughly checked the analytics and found that videos without them make far less views and money even if the content is similar. They have also had to cut out some regular content with more in-depth technical detail because they were poorly performing compared to content leaning more towards entertainment. Blame the viewers and either ignore the content you don't like or don't bother watching the channel at all. They are also creating other channels for less popular content. No need to take it personally and judge them for trying to make money. They are not elected government leaders with some moral obligation.
Aren't those the rationalizations that sellouts tell themselves so they feel better about selling out? Blame shallow users for him acting like a clown. Nice

Yeah they're free to do what they want, we're free to make comments form the peanut gallery as well :p

I do watch LTT videos sometimes and have no issue with him but he really does like to market his stuff. He is growing the hech out of the business so he must be doing something right. Seems better than GN's tech Jesus who seems to dislike everything.
Agreed, he has to be doing something right.

I like LTT content for the most part but don't always agree with his opinions. Sucks that they got hit but who knew that LTT could cause so much nerd rage. Lots of angry and envious peeps in here and around the internet.

I mean if you asked me "would you like Linus' money if he hasn't accidentally given it all away yet" I'd answer yes 100 out of 100 times, so that fits envy IMO, I can cop to that 👍

I mean if you asked me "would you like Linus' money if he hasn't accidentally given it all away yet" I'd answer yes 100 out of 100 times, so that fits envy IMO, I can cop to that 👍
Only if it doesn't come with the "whoring myself and my family out" part.

Only if it doesn't come with the "whoring myself and my family out" part.

Even if so, just scam 'em for the money, and run

seinfeld-money.gif

I hate popular things so I go to the internet to make sure people know that I hate popular things. This is my way to become popular with other people that go to the internet to hate popular things.

Sarcasm aside, tech YouTube has always flirted dangerously with being another part of the tech sector's marketing machinery. It's a dance I wouldn't want to have to do.

...Especially with my foot-sized mouth...

I hate popular things so I go to the internet to make sure people know that I hate popular things. This is my way to become popular with other people that go to the internet to hate popular things.

Sarcasm aside, tech YouTube has always flirted dangerously with being another part of the tech sector's marketing machinery. It's a dance I wouldn't want to have to do.

...Especially with my foot-sized mouth...

No ✋

I just like voicing my opinion and hearing myself talk, thank you

I wasn't joking though that is my motivation behind every post of mine

Should be obvious lol

That's why I like free speech so much :)

Edit: No wait I do also really love making shit jokes, but again, should be obvious

Last edited:
He has 2FA at the minimum. I don't see many in his company that would have access to his channel.
You would hope, but if someone's device was comprimised and they are saving user/passwords in browsers, redlines will get all of those, grab a sessions token and you are now past 2FA. Also, even with 2FA, depending what methjod they are using, they could of just been 2FA bombed and someone just clicked allow...

Any time I see any LTT related news, I always love to watch all the armchair admins and engineers crawl out and talk about how much they hate him and how he's not good and how he's just a shill.

It all boils down to jealousy. He's turned his love of tech into a successful business, accrued a large following, a place in tech culture... All things others wish they had, and feel are undeserved to Linus because they feel he doesn't have the same technical knowledge that they do... As if that's at all important to what made him a millionaire in the first place.

Look at all the 'I'M (or some other guy is) SO MUCH BETTER OF A TECHNOLOGY PERSON THAN HE IS' posts on this thread...

As if that matters.

NB4 'nu-uh I just hate him because his voice is high/he drops stuff/he has sponsors'

I always love to watch all the armchair admins and engineers crawl out and talk about how much they hate him and how he's not good and how he's just a shill.
What a coincident. I happen to love all of the "Leave Linus ALONE!" that pops up with this stuff. Someone should make a video of it, think LTT will if we sponsor it?

What a coincident. I happen to love all of the "Leave Linus ALONE!" that pops up with this stuff. Someone should make a video of it, think LTT will if we sponsor it?

Two sides to every coin, I guess. Nothing I say will make these people stop hating him out of jealousy, but I can at least hold up a mirror and watch people cringe at their own reflection

Times I've been scammed out of my hard earned money: 0

Times Linus has been scammed out of his hard earned money:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back