Linus Has Some Things to Say about Core i9 and X299

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Linus has gone on a rant about Intel’s latest hardware decisions, and many folks are applauding his honesty and calling his criticism on point. Knee-jerk reactions, redundant families, artificially restricting PCIe lanes---you’ve probably heard all of it before, but I thought this was interesting coming from a personality who has been accused of being an anti-AMD shill.

He is wrong saying this is a knee jerk reaction from Intel. It's quite the opposite, Intel has had this poorly planned for a long time. Now it just looks terrible against what AMD is planning to do.

He is wrong saying this is a knee jerk reaction from Intel. It's quite the opposite, Intel has had this poorly planned for a long time. Now it just looks terrible against what AMD is planning to do.
I doubt it has been planned, at least not in its complete form. If planned then it wouldn't be missing specs on the 12+ core counts. It is that part that garners the "knee-jerk" designation.

I doubt it has been planned, at least not in its complete form. If planned then it wouldn't be missing specs on the 12+ core counts. It is that part that garners the "knee-jerk" designation.
I think it was. Just that they didn't plan to release it this early. They were expecting to to release these over the next 2 year or so but AMD forced them to reacted and they rushed it all out and they did it poor just so they can say we still have the top processor on the market.

The X299 part was planned. The entire i9 "enthusiast" series feels like a quickly thrown together Xeon rebadge as a contingency plan to Ryzen actually working. The higher end 12+ core count chips however appear to be a total knee-jerk "paper launch" in response to ThreadRipper.

Essentially, Intel already got caught with their pants down and the 12+ core i9's are their attempt to grasp at a fig leaf.

Intel already lost my vote in this round -- as I sit here typing this on my Ryzen 1800X (@4.0Ghz, air-cooled) w/X370 Mobo and couldn't be happier (this thing does unbelievably well for running multiple things at once [gaming + OBS] and true multithreaded stuff [handbrake]).

Like it or not, Linus burned all his IT cred when they revealed their production server was run on X99 after it melted down. No SLA, no fallback, just a cluster fuck of amateurism.

I don't see how that is relevant. Linus discusses consumer hardware. Consumer hardware is vastly different from business class hardware, so his lack of knowledge in business class hardware doesn't really discredit his knowledge of consumer class hardware. Although while Linus is relatively knowledgeable, Gamers Nexus is still one of my favorites. He goes way more in depth than anyone else out there.

So I watched the video and yes, it's a rant, far more rant-ish (is that even a word?) than his previous videos. He makes some excellent points in the video. I didn't know about these inherent platform limitations and I'm sure that many of you didn't know either. After watching the video it's like Intel didn't even try with this new platform, it's more like "Oh shit, AMD actually has something decent. *runs around the room* Damn. Damn. Damn! What will we do? *walks up to engineer* DO SOMETHING! That's why I pay you the big bucks!"

The X299 part was planned. The entire i9 "enthusiast" series feels like a quickly thrown together Xeon rebadge as a contingency plan to Ryzen actually working. The higher end 12+ core count chips however appear to be a total knee-jerk "paper launch" in response to ThreadRipper.

Essentially, Intel already got caught with their pants down and the 12+ core i9's are their attempt to grasp at a fig leaf.

Intel already lost my vote in this round -- as I sit here typing this on my Ryzen 1800X (@4.0Ghz, air-cooled) w/X370 Mobo and couldn't be happier (this thing does unbelievably well for running multiple things at once [gaming + OBS] and true multithreaded stuff [handbrake]).

That is the impression I have also had from this "launch". Depending on if the price rumors on Threadripper are true or not I might jump ship over there. I don't need the upgrade, but X399 is super tempting and I'm all for more cores at cheaper prices.

Intel was stupid thinking a competitor would never catch up. This goes for any business, you get complacent you'll get run over eventually.

Anyone buying these new boards and cpu's, better double triple check your purchase or you may find your self having to return what you bought.

The good news is that many cores is finally going mainstream.

Ditto. Linus (Torvalds) is like the Highlander -- "there can be only one"!

8a362151de212c806dc3f5001edb0542.png

Hmmm.....

Here's an idea: Punish Intel. Buy AMD.

Shooting yourself in the head to cure cancer? :) I keed I keed. Kudo's to AMD for winning the last 3 months, but after 7 years of mediocrity I'm gonna wait 2 years at least before making the main rig an amd one. It's funny that people completely forgot just how much amd has been shitty and are blaming intel for actually providing a sensible upgrade per release. Lots of people want like 20~40% increase in speed per year....ok...unreasonable. It's like cars....every new year or release you don't expect it to go from 140mph to 180mph...that's unreasonable. But it's nice to have the new features worthy of the price difference.

Shooting yourself in the head to cure cancer? :) I keed I keed. Kudo's to AMD for winning the last 3 months, but after 7 years of mediocrity I'm gonna wait 2 years at least before making the main rig an amd one. It's funny that people completely forgot just how much amd has been shitty and are blaming intel for actually providing a sensible upgrade per release. Lots of people want like 20~40% increase in speed per year....ok...unreasonable. It's like cars....every new year or release you don't expect it to go from 140mph to 180mph...that's unreasonable. But it's nice to have the new features worthy of the price difference.

It's about value. And Intel has proven time and again that they'll absolutely punish you for your loyalty, beating you like a nasty gramma (with switches that she makes you pick).

This is the kind of response I'd expect from a fanboy watching their "side" fuck up constantly. It's like watching someone learn that their sports hero got caught smoking crack and sodomizing puppies in a shady bathhouse.

Lots of people want like 20~40% increase in speed per year....ok...unreasonable.
Well OK then, if you don't have something that's you know... actually new and improved, then don't come out with something new. Wait a year, let the R&D group have some more time and actually make something new and then come out with it. This yearly new Intel chip stuff is feeling more and more like a cash grab than an actual improvement.

Here's an idea: Punish Intel. Buy AMD.

plus, i sorta feel if we dont AMD is gonna say like: Well, we've put EVERYTHING we had into it. I guess people just dont want our CPUs anymore, screw it.

This is the kind of response I'd expect from a fanboy watching their "side" fuck up constantly. It's like watching someone learn that their sports hero got caught smoking crack and sodomizing puppies in a shady bathhouse.
Thats the impression that i got from this video.

Well OK then, if you don't have something that's you know... actually new and improved, then don't come out with something new. Wait a year, let the R&D group have some more time and actually make something new and then come out with it. This yearly new Intel chip stuff is feeling more and more like a cash grab than an actual improvement.

Uhm what about every other innovation like new ports. Etc. Are those just unremarkable throwaway's and speed is the only thing that matters?

Back