LG UltraGear OLED 45GR95QE-B

StryderxX

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone have any interest in the LG UltraGear OLED 45GR95QE-B? It's a 45" widescreen 3440x1440 resolution OLED gaming monitor. It's available for pre-order on LG's website right now (LG UltraGear OLED 45GR95QE-B). I'm loving the size but that resolution is so low. Based on the specs that equates to a PPI of only 84! Not sure if I want to go through the hassle of ordering this site unseen then having to return it because it's unusable for work related activities. What are your thoughts?

D-03.jpg

Yikes, 45" 1440p. Better push that thing back like 5 feet on your desk. I once was interested, but not after I discovered Sasumy QD OLED.

Reactions: Xar
like this
Yikes, 45" 1440p. Better push that thing back like 5 feet on your desk. I once was interested, but not after I discovered Sasumy QD OLED.
I'm using the Alienware QD OLED right now for work and I love it. I was thinking about replacing my LG 38" monitor with this new 45" model but that PPI is hard to swallow. The 38" is 3860x1600 (109 PPI) and text is very sharp and clear.

PPI is nearly identical to your S95B. Although at 45" you would be sitting closer than you would to a 55".

Reactions: Vega
like this
For productivity this just wouldn't be a good display. OLED isn't as prone to burn-in as it once was, but it remains true that static content (i.e. what you often view at work) can be a problem.

Gaming is another story, but a smaller screen with a shorter viewing distance would still be better. And for that money I'd personally rather have a 2160p ultra-wide or 5K screen.

PPI is nearly identical to your S95B. Although at 45" you would be sitting closer than you would to a 55".
Is there anyone using a 55" 4K tv as a computer monitor? If so how close do you sit and what does text look like?

I'm gonna go with the Corsair. I think the $300 premium is worth 3 year burn in warranty + not having a forced obnoxious 800r curve.

Planning on sitting in a different room to mitigate the low PPI.

I'm gonna go with the Corsair. I think the $300 premium is worth 3 year burn in warranty + not having a forced obnoxious 800r curve.

Planning on sitting in a different room to mitigate the low PPI.
I believe that the Corsair Xeneon Flex 45WQHD240 uses the same LG panel. Did you already pre-order?

45" = Great size for immersive gaming
LG made OLED = Great display tech
240hz refresh rate = Great for super smooth gaming

3440 X 1440 @ 45" WTF? Terrible res for such a large monitor.

Forget the resolution for a second, the size, the curve, and OLED display, this thing would be a gamer's dream most likely. Would love to see it in person.

Last edited:
45" = Great size for immersive gaming
LG made OLED = Great display tech
240hz refresh rate = Great for super smooth gaming

3440 X 1440 @ 45" WTF? Terrible res for such a large monitor.

Forget the resolution for a second, the size, the curve, and OLED display, this thing would be a gamer's dream most likely. Would love to see it in person.
It's impossible to forget the res and IMO this is larger than it should be. This, as a 40" 5120x2160? That's dream level right there.

It's impossible to forget the res and IMO this is larger than it should be. This, as a 40" 5120x2160? That's dream level right there.
The PPI is similar to a 4K 55" OLED tv. I have a 55" C1 that I use for console gaming in my home office and text looks great from about 5 feet away but not up close. That's going to be the challenge with this monitor.

True, but also having 2160p over 1440p is a world of difference.

Yeah forgot to mention that as well. It's funny how there's still people who think higher PPI but lower resolution has better picture quality vs lower PPI and higher resolution.

Yeah forgot to mention that as well. It's funny how there's still people who think higher PPI but lower resolution has better picture quality vs lower PPI and higher resolution.
Yeah the 42" C2 looks a lot nicer than the AW3423DW when I had them side by side even though they are similar PPI.

Yeah the 42" C2 looks a lot nicer than the AW3423DW when I had them side by side even though they are similar PPI.

Aren't these two monitors almost the same PPI? I know one is 4k and 42" and the other 3440 Ultrawide and 34", but I thought PPI was the same?

I'm planning to buy it as soon as it's available in Europe. I think a good curve is a must for comfortable viewing at desk distance, and I can't stand 32:9 aspect ratio, so there's barely any competition. Sure, the resolution is bad, but a 240 Hz OLED should at least look very good in motion, which I value more for gaming.

Aren't these two monitors almost the same PPI? I know one is 4k and 42" and the other 3440 Ultrawide and 34", but I thought PPI was the same?
Yeah if going by exact display area dimensions (41.5 and 34.18) its 106 vs 109 PPI.

I do think for a pure PC Gaming monitor, this thing could be absolutely AMAZEBALLS

But desktop use it might look like beef.

Yeah I'm only getting it for shooters but I want to see if DLDSR + DLSS can compensate enough to make it usable for triple A titles

Can Chief Blur Buster comment on his involvement in getting this thing certified? Corsair rep said they avoided Vesa for the motion/HDR certification because they do a poor job and are instead working with Blur Busters.

EDIT: Linus mentioned 24Gbps HDMI 2.1 ports and its not using a WBE panel but instead the older WBC found on the CX/C1. Poor HDR EOTF tracking is a concern and what I was afraid of because it seems like no one but LG themselves seem to get this right which is the big advantage of the LG version (LG 48GQ900 tracks perfectly). Hope they address this because I'm so sick of monitors crushing dark detail and blowing out bright stuff in HDR (Neo G8, PG42UQ, etc).which is exactly what this does.

Last edited:
Is there anyone using a 55" 4K tv as a computer monitor? If so how close do you sit and what does text look like?
I use a 55" CX OLED as a monitor on my desk. I only game on it through. I recline back in my chair with feet up. So a bout 8'.

F2E4FE64-B65A-4BDB-96DB-C95495DC7DFF.jpeg
48902908-E605-42B9-82E2-D669F3934EEE.jpeg

This one’s very tempting too, still not sure if it’s Glossy or Matte though.

This is the only thing we're here for.

EDIT: Neo G8 @ 240hz for comparison which to me looks comparable to what a 160-180hz OLED would look like (really not bad for a 4K VA panel):

Screenshot 2022-12-15 212751.png
pursuit-camera-sq.png

Last edited:
The cat's out of the bag. Yes, I'm with a team we hired in developing a new HDR standard that is usable for all OLEDs regardless of manufacturer, but yes -- LG is following our bandwagon instead of VESA. Win!

Can Chief Blur Buster comment on his involvement in getting this thing certified?
Due to lack of BFI, we are developing a new strobeless version of Blur Busters Approved, tentatively "STROBELESS APPROVED" or other similar nomenclature, as a completely separate logo for displays that can reduce motion blur without BFI.

No, no BFI yet at this time. (Still trying to push hard behind the scenes for that).
I continue to stubbornly insist on BFI with a wide strobe range (full Hz), as I always have.
It is true in typical Blur Busters fashion, have demanded BFI the best I can, but it is not in the debut due to hardware limitations (at this time).

Since 240fps 240Hz clearly has less motion blur than 360Hz LCD, and many people prefer brute framerate-based motion blur reduction over eyesearing PWM/BFI/strobe that deserves a completely separate logo for BFI-less displays (such as "STROBELESS APPROVED" or other name; we are still brainstorming). We have something to announce for CES 2023.

We still love strobing, yes, especially for retro situations. And we wish to see it implemented in future OLEDs. However, we are indeed developing a new panel-level approval for strobeless motion blur reduction. As we rocket towards 1000fps 1000hz OLEDs of 2030, this is the path we trailblaze, since it's ergonomic PWM-free flicker-free motion blur reduction...

I can't say much more at this time. Yet. NDA.

Last edited:
Massive failure in terms of resolution, this needs to be 5120x2160 to be a winner at that size.
Resolutions will eventually get there, but right now, to keep costs low and framerates high, the debut 240Hz will be at impressive 1440p resolutions.

Remember when the first 120Hz desktop LCD's debutted?
...They were only 1600x900 in the ASUS VG236H and Samsung 2233rz in 2009!

Remember when the first 240Hz desktop LCD's debutted?
...They were all only 1920x1080 in 2016-2018!

1440p is still an impressive debut resolution for a 240Hz OLED. They skipped 1080p and went straight to 1440p which makes it easier to do GPU-based brute framerate-based motion blur reduction. Motion blur is frametime. And it will definitely get better. More pixel density is coming.

But... This is a debut.

I love the motion clarity of all kinds of 240Hz OLED, but if you're finding a compromise for brute framerate-based motion blur reduction (Getting 200fps+ in modern games is not easy), this can be really important to choose a Goldilocks resolution.

Also, a credit to the 45 inchers, Corsair Xeneon Flex and the LG curve, LG's pixel structure is more ClearType compatible than Samsung OLED. This can be important for many software developers or users of text. I am currently working to get 3440x1440 sharper-looking for Visual Studio than 5120x2160 because of that. Some people only want OLEDs for gaming, but I want my OLEDs to also be fine for Visual Studio work too. A better general-purpose OLED pixel structure is important if you also want a "reasonbly jack-of-all-trades monitor".

I do want 4K 240Hz OLED yesterday, but this resolution is perfect for strobeless brute framerate-based motion blur reduction with current GPUs.
240fps has half the motion blur of 120fps
240fps has quarter the motion blur of 60fps
Currently, 240fps is very hard to do with 4K 240Hz until more developers add reprojection (10:1 frame creation for 10x frame rate for 90% motion blur reduction)

For now, easier to get your Hz' money worth at 1440p (for now) with the strobe-free motion blur reduction (brute framerate-based motion blur reduction) for the lower-persistence sample and hold experience.

Last edited:
Resolutions will eventually get there, but right now, to keep costs low and framerates high, the debut 240Hz will be at impressive 1440p resolutions.

Remember when the first 120Hz desktop LCD's debutted?
...They were only 1600x900 in the ASUS VG236H and Samsung 2233rz in 2009!

Remember when the first 240Hz desktop LCD's debutted?
...They were all only 1920x1080 in 2016-2018!

1440p is still an impressive debut resolution for a 240Hz OLED. They skipped 1080p and went straight to 1440p which makes it easier to do GPU-based brute framerate-based motion blur reduction. Motion blur is frametime. And it will definitely get better. More pixel density is coming.

But... This is a debut.

I love the motion clarity of all kinds of 240Hz OLED, but if you're finding a compromise for brute framerate-based motion blur reduction (Getting 200fps+ in modern games is not easy), this can be really important to choose a Goldilocks resolution.

Also, a credit to the 45 inchers, Corsair Xeneon Flex and the LG curve, LG's pixel structure is more ClearType compatible than Samsung OLED. This can be important for many software developers or users of text. I am currently working to get 3440x1440 sharper-looking for Visual Studio than 5120x2160 because of that. Some people only want OLEDs for gaming, but I want my OLEDs to also be fine for Visual Studio work too. A better general-purpose OLED pixel structure is important if you also want a "reasonbly jack-of-all-trades monitor".

I do want 4K 240Hz OLED yesterday, but this resolution is perfect for strobeless brute framerate-based motion blur reduction with current GPUs.
240fps has half the motion blur of 120fps
240fps has quarter the motion blur of 60fps
Currently, 240fps is very hard to do with 4K 240Hz until more developers add reprojection (10:1 frame creation for 10x frame rate for 90% motion blur reduction)

For now, easier to get your Hz' money worth at 1440p (for now) with the strobe-free motion blur reduction (brute framerate-based motion blur reduction) for the lower-persistence sample and hold experience.

I am not paying 2k for a stop gap solution though.

1080p on the 45" OLED would be an utter fail. And 3440 X 1440 resolution at that size is still pretty poor. Should have been 3840 X 1600 res like the fantastic 38" size Ultrawides.

They should've made a 38" UW into like a 40"/42" OLED Ultrawide 1660p

But I'll withhold judgement until I see reviews of this playing games like Doom Eternal or something, which can easily handle 240 fps at that res on this 45" display.

My point I think this monitor for gaming might be out of this world great, but for desktop use quite the opposite, but we'll see.

The cat's out of the bag. Yes, I'm with a team we hired in developing a new HDR standard that is usable for all OLEDs regardless of manufacturer, but yes -- LG is following our bandwagon instead of VESA. Win!

Due to lack of BFI, we are developing a new strobeless version of Blur Busters Approved, tentatively "STROBELESS APPROVED" or other similar nomenclature, as a completely separate logo for displays that can reduce motion blur without BFI.

No, no BFI yet at this time. (Still trying to push hard behind the scenes for that).
I continue to stubbornly insist on BFI with a wide strobe range (full Hz), as I always have.
It is true in typical Blur Busters fashion, have demanded BFI the best I can, but it is not in the debut due to hardware limitations (at this time).

Since 240fps 240Hz clearly has less motion blur than 360Hz LCD, and many people prefer brute framerate-based motion blur reduction over eyesearing PWM/BFI/strobe that deserves a completely separate logo for BFI-less displays (such as "STROBELESS APPROVED" or other name; we are still brainstorming). We have something to announce for CES 2023.

We still love strobing, yes, especially for retro situations. And we wish to see it implemented in future OLEDs. However, we are indeed developing a new panel-level approval for strobeless motion blur reduction. As we rocket towards 1000fps 1000hz OLEDs of 2030, this is the path we trailblaze, since it's ergonomic PWM-free flicker-free motion blur reduction...

I can't say much more at this time. Yet. NDA.
This is good to hear. Thanks for the info.

Looks like the LG version might have full bandwidth HDMI 2.1 ports unlike Corsair since the manual shows no DSC necessary to achieve 3440x1440 @ 240hz:

Screenshot 2022-12-15 202709.png

This is important because DLDSR currently is not possible when DSC is active. The trade off here is LG's version does not appear to have firmware update capability while Corsair does through iCue.

Wish I could have LG's calibration and HDMI 2.1 ports + Corsairs variable curve and firmware update capability in one monitor.

FYI -- Just because DSC is used on DisplayPort, doesn't mean DSC is necessary on HDMI. VRR is available on DP and HDMI, and I believe also on the USB-C DP Alt mode.

Also, I am hoping a future NVIDIA driver will enable DSC with DLDSR. Time will tell.

These are still early days of 240Hz OLEDs!

I am not paying 2k for a stop gap solution though.
Fair -- OLEDs at these refresh rates will fall in price towards the 2030s, me thinks.

Other models of 240Hz OLEDs are debutting below $1000 if you're not looking for ultrawide.

FYI -- Just because DSC is used on DisplayPort, doesn't mean DSC is necessary on HDMI. VRR is available on DP and HDMI, and I believe also on the USB-C DP Alt mode.
Does DSC works the same on both cables?
For example DSC 1.2a on DP 1.4a = 32.4Gbps x2, DSC 1.2a on HDMI 2.1a should = 48Gbps x2?
Also, I am hoping a future NVIDIA driver will enable DSC with DLDSR. Time will tell.
They also 🔒 the maximum DLDSR value at 2.25x and make it incompatible with Custom Resolutions, I hope for something like 4.00x in the upcoming 2023 GRD features introduction.

Does DSC works the same on both cables?
For example DSC 1.2a on DP 1.4a = 32.4Gbps x2, DSC 1.2a on HDMI 2.1a should = 48Gbps x2?
That's not how it works. DSC uses compression to fit the video signal within the limitations of DP or HDMI 2.1 bandwidth. So don't think of it as double bandwidth. DP 1.4 is actually limited to about 25.92 Gbps data rate whereas HDMI 2.1 is at 41.92 Gbps respectively.

DSC also comes with several different ratio options and afaik the connection will pick the least compression needed. So for example if you need DSC 3.0x ratio on DP 1.4, HDMI 2.1 might need no DSC or just say 2.0x ratio because it has more bandwidth to spare.

Reactions: Xar
like this
That's not how it works. DSC uses compression to fit the video signal within the limitations of DP or HDMI 2.1 bandwidth. So don't think of it as double bandwidth. DP 1.4 is actually limited to about 25.92 Gbps data rate whereas HDMI 2.1 is at 41.92 Gbps respectively.

DSC also comes with several different ratio options and afaik the connection will pick the least compression needed. So for example if you need DSC 3.0x ratio on DP 1.4, HDMI 2.1 might need no DSC or just say 2.0x ratio because it has more bandwidth to spare.
Thanks. I always seen folks stated DSC as x2 the maximum limits of current DP and HDMI.

Back