LG quietly launches 27" OLED monitor with 240hz refresh rate

I don't know how in the hell people could use a 48-in monitor for gaming on a desk that's even remotely normal size. I used a 42 in for about a week and it was not enjoyable at all and I have a very large desk. Playing third person games was not too bad as long as I sat way back and used the controller but any first person game was beyond ridiculous to try and play comfortably. I think I'm like most people in that a 32-in seems to be the best option as far as physical size goes. I've been using a 27-in for several years now and it just feels a bit small.
Read what Kyle has to say on the [H] page.

So in that brain of yours it actually sounds logical to blame the goddamn user for all OLED burn in? That is one of the most fucking stupid things I've ever heard.

Driving a Bugatti Chiron or any other low clearance sports car on a dirt road is a user error that will get your car stuck and damaged. You can do it without any worries with just about any other car, but you also can't drive 200 mph on track.

Driving a Bugatti Chiron or any other low clearance sports car on a dirt road is a user error that will get your car stuck and damaged. You can do it without any worries with just about any other car, but you also can't drive 200 mph on track.
I'm sorry but that is a ridiculous analogy. An OLED monitor or TV is made to be used like a monitor or TV and if it can't do that without receiving burn in during what constitutes normal usage for most people then that is not the user's fault. That clown was blaming users for any and all burn-in that they would receive on an OLED and if you're on board with that then you are just as ridiculous as he is.

I'm sorry but that is a ridiculous analogy. An OLED monitor or TV is made to be used like a monitor or TV and if it can't do that without receiving burn in during what constitutes normal usage for most people then that is not the user's fault. That clown was blaming users for any and all burn-in that they would receive on an OLED and if you're on board with that then you are just as ridiculous as he is.
I haven't heard of anyone getting burn in on an OLED made in the past 5 years that didn't leave bright static images on screen for hundreds of thousands of hours.

I haven't heard of anyone getting burn in on an OLED made in the past 5 years that didn't leave bright static images on screen for hundreds of thousands of hours.
Oh I didn't realize that you've been checking with all OLED owners.

I've only seen burn-in on old CRT and TFT monitors when they're left on all day at the highest brightness setting with no screen saver. Coincidentally it's the same with OLED. That should definitely qualify as an edge case, not the norm. The issue with CRT displays is the phosphors decaying and needing the white balance adjusted for it. I've been using my LG C8 for over 4 years now with a mix of gaming and PC use, and there is no sign of burn-in.
I babied my OLED, and burn in eventually happened. It took 5 years, but my e6 has a perma Netflix logo, and Amazon Prime selection box (which used yellow as the box color, in other words, red & green). Notice the burn in was with red. The green and blue still look fine. It was an e6 model (2016), and starting with the e7, LG doubled the size of red to help prevent that from happening as quickly.

It's really less burn-in, and more burn-out, and it will eventually happen to every user, regardless of if you have static images on screen for long times, or, like me, baby your display. The question comes down to, how long it will be, before it becomes noticeable.

But like everyone else stated, every display has their own issues. This wouldn't really stop me from getting a new OLED. I mean, it lasted me for 6 years just fine, and the later versions handle things better, so I'd assume perhaps 8-10 years. And in the past 20 years, I've already gone through 3 different televisions, as technology gets better. So, it might be a situation where I'll just upgrade before the problems arise.

Okay loser-patrol we'll respect your authorita' when it comes to OLED, you can now go back to your TN'sDaBomb thread and tell everyone how you wined on an OLED thread and feel so much better about yourselves for it.

O'Doyle Rules!

Come on peeps. Settle down. This was not meant to be a controversial thread. It was supposed to be a celebration that the age of high performance OLED monitors is upon us! This is a good thing!

Yeah I was eyeballing the Dell ultrawide but I don't really like those. I had the older 34" gsync model (non OLED) and while it was nice its hard to use 21:9 with some games. I'd love to get one of these, then I won't even need to change from my 3070ti since 1440p isn't that hard to run. I'm a little concerned about the AG coating though, my FO48U is glossy and I love it.

Yeah I was eyeballing the Dell ultrawide but I don't really like those. I had the older 34" gsync model (non OLED) and while it was nice its hard to use 21:9 with some games. I'd love to get one of these, then I won't even need to change from my 3070ti since 1440p isn't that hard to run. I'm a little concerned about the AG coating though, my FO48U is glossy and I love it.
Even with a bright workshop light in front of the monitor, it still looks great.
In my case, blacks are still black,
IMG_2127.JPEG IMG_2126.JPEG

Oh I didn't realize that you've been checking with all OLED owners.

Hundreds of thousands of hours? 100,000 hours is over 11 years, plural that amount as stated above would be more than 22 years. Just saying.

I came here to read about the monitor, instead I get this nonsense and some trash about a Bugatti and Toyota.

Ok, I will show myself out now.

Hundreds of thousands of hours? 100,000 hours is over 11 years, plural that amount as stated above would be more than 22 years. Just saying.

I came here to read about the monitor, instead I get this nonsense and some trash about a Bugatti and Toyota.

Ok, I will show myself out now.
It was a phone autocorrect typo, I meant to type or not of.

This is a $1000 240hz OLED monitor, not a $100 generic LCD.
The analogy makes perfect sense. OLEDs are the highest end monitors designed for maximum performance.
Not practicality, not maximum value and longevity.
If you can't be bothered to avoid static images for prolonged periods you probably shouldn't get one. If you can't afford to replace it in 5 years you probably shouldn't get one either.

It's not made for the average person. It's made for the hardcore. We're in a hardcore hardware forum so don't be surprised when a bunch of people here are interested in hardcore hardware and willing to deal with some inconvenience to get the best possible performance.

I personally won't be getting this monitor because I don't want to downgrade from 4k, but I'm still excited about the 240hz and like to see what other people think about it. And I don't spam the thread about how no one should get it because it's not 4k then get mad and spam more when they disagree with me.

To add to this, I have an LG CX 55.
  • 13600+ hours
Zero burn-in.

I don't think people realize that those of us that got the C9 and CX were literally the beta testers for the LG OLEDs being used as computer monitors. As long as you're not demoing the screen at highest brightness 24 hours a day on the same loop, the likelihood of burn-in is super low. Also, if my screen were to die tomorrow, I would buy another one. Yes... I like it that much.

I've also taken care of my c1 48, and haven't had a hint of burn in. I play many videogames that keep graphics in static locations but have yet to see that cause an issue. I think that people who want to run spreadsheets in excel 24/7 would suffer the most from burn in, if all the new tech hasn't aleviated it yet.

Sure but that’s because 100000 hours is ~11 years.

In all seriousness, I don’t have burn-in on my CX 48 but I am annoyed by the ABL (automatic brightness shift to avoid burn-in) and my CX 48 has started to develop clusters of dead pixels around the edges. That’s apparently very common after 1 to 2 years with these LGs due to improper sealing of the panel edges at manufacture time.

Sure but that’s because 100000 hours is ~11 years.

In all seriousness, I don’t have burn-in on my CX 48 but I am annoyed by the ABL (automatic brightness shift to avoid burn-in) and my CX 48 has started to develop clusters of dead pixels around the edges. That’s apparently very common after 1 to 2 years with these LGs due to improper sealing of the panel edges at manufacture time.
Get in touch with LG. They might repair it for free.

"This 16:9 Gaming Monitor (27GR95QE-B) combines the fastest features of LG’s renowned OLED Displays like 240Hz Monitor Refresh Rate and .03ms response time, and the power of UltraGear Gaming Features like sNIDIA G-SYNC Compatibility and AMD FreeSync Premium."

240hz oled laptops don't have any vrr, so had to check. Just glad it has sNIDIA G-SYNC compatibility.

And I use my PC all day with a stationary taskbar and icons on the screen.

Thank you for confirming that a PC monitor is in fact not a good use case for an OLED.
I am gaining experience with multiple 240Hz OLED specimens that I have visited at conventions over the last many months, and was given the opportunity to run games and TestUFO (off my Razer Blade 15 laptop). And, yes, 240Hz VRR works really nice on OLED.

Remember LG OLED is an WOLED, where all pixels are white, with the pixels color-filtered. They are much more immune to burn in.

Since it's the same OLED color (white) behind all pixels, they don't have the same wear-variance that RGB OLEDs have, and the white OLED formulations on newer OLEDs now burn in more slowly than a plasma display, even when driven at double brightness versus the original plasma.

I've Visual Studio'd on an OLED without issue, just keep brightness down, use orbiting, Dark Mode and taskbar autohide.

After 3 years, any burn in is less than the splotchiness of a 5% VA grey field anyway -- also LCD can have some wear-and-tear behaviors involving backlight eventually more than halving in brightness under heavy use.

Just don't use an older LG C6 OLED, or use RTINGS burn-in-tester settings.

It's worth it -- 240Hz OLED can compete very well with 500Hz IPS LCD, with much better sample-and-hold blur efficiency that has a linear followance of Blur Busters' Law.

Brute framerate-based motion blur reduction works fantastically on OLED -- no eye-straining strobing needed -- with about 1.5x-2x blur efficiency per Hz (at current LCD GtG). 240fps 240Hz OLED finally beats plasma motion clarity too, which is quite fantastic. In other words, 240Hz OLED competes well with 500Hz IPS LCDs.

Last edited:
I am gaining experience with multiple 240Hz OLED specimens that I have visited at conventions over the last many months, and was given the opportunity to run games and TestUFO (off my Razer Blade 15 laptop). And, yes, 240Hz VRR works really nice on OLED.

Remember LG OLED is an WOLED, where all pixels are white, with the pixels color-filtered. They are much more immune to burn in.

Since it's the same OLED color (white) behind all pixels, they don't have the same wear-variance that RGB OLEDs have, and the white OLED formulations on newer OLEDs now burn in more slowly than a plasma display, even when driven at double brightness versus the original plasma.

I've Visual Studio'd on an OLED without issue, just keep brightness down, use orbiting, Dark Mode and taskbar autohide.

After 3 years, any burn in is less than the splotchiness of a 5% VA grey field anyway -- also LCD can have some wear-and-tear behaviors involving backlight eventually more than halving in brightness under heavy use.

Just don't use an older LG C6 OLED, or use RTINGS burn-in-tester settings.

It's worth it -- 240Hz OLED can compete very well with 500Hz IPS LCD, with much better sample-and-hold blur efficiency that has a linear followance of Blur Busters' Law.

Brute framerate-based motion blur reduction works fantastically on OLED -- no eye-straining strobing needed -- with about 1.5x-2x blur efficiency per Hz (at current LCD GtG). 240fps 240Hz OLED finally beats plasma motion clarity too, which is quite fantastic. In other words, 240Hz OLED competes well with 500Hz IPS LCDs.
Anything to say about Samsung's blue OLED + quantum dot solution yet?

Back