LG quietly launches 27" OLED monitor with 240hz refresh rate

Uh, if that were the case, we would have more monitors with gloss coatings.
'most' of the advantages are that every pixel is its own lightsource and can independantly dim itself to a very low level. resulting in blacks which are nearly as black as possible. And yes, the response times for OLED are pretty incredible.
Correct, the advantage of OLED is that individual pixels can be completely black.

AG coatings blur the image and cause light leaking which turns those blacks into greys unless you are in a perfectly dark room, which would make the AG coating useless.

Correct, the advantage of OLED is that individual pixels can be completely black.

AG coatings blur the image and cause light leaking which turns those blacks into greys unless you are in a perfectly dark room, which would make the AG coating useless.
I garuntee you that an OLED with a typical monitor's anti-reflective coating---will look better than any IPS or VA panel monitor.

Yea and how many people actually experienced burn in on a crt or traditional lcd? Can it happen? Sure but I never seen it. Outside Plasma, rear projection and OLED TVs burn in was never a concern for people.
I have my LG plasma from 2011? Maybe 2012, it’s been the primary living room TV since then and it’s still great. Only 1080p and weighs more than I do but looks and works great.

But back in the day I can say for certain that Diablo’s health and Mana orbs were permanently etched in my CRT monitor.

Its known that anti-glare coatings don't look as punchy as gloss.

An OLED with an anti-glare is still going to spank an IPS or VA.
Not in a very bright room. Again go look at the reviews as it is very gray in those conditions and with a lot of direct light reflections can look as bad as an IPS or worse. The issue mentioned in all the reviews is that it did not have a polarization layer. Now turning down the lights and /or simply reducing direct reflections off of the monitor will certainly give you the blacks that you want.

Not in a very bright room. Again go look at the reviews as it is very gray in those conditions and with a lot of direct light reflections can look as bad as an IPS or worse. The issue mentioned in all the reviews is that it did not have a polarization layer. Now turning down the lights and /or simply reducing direct reflections off of the monitor will certainly give you the blacks that you want.
I didn't realize you were referencing Dell's new monitor, this whole time. Its a Samsung panel.

Yes, Samsung's OLED's have issues with bright rooms. TVs and Monitors, alike.

LG and Sony panels, do not have that issue. This LG monitor will likely look amazing.

Go look at those Alienware OLED reviews as in a bright room it looks pretty darn gray.
Im confused. Isn't the alternative, using glossy in a bright room, even worse? Then you just see reflections of everything and can barely see the screen.

Im confused. Isn't the alternative, using glossy in a bright room, even worse? Then you just see reflections of everything and can barely see the screen.
Yes. Pros and cons to both. But it still looks miles better than any lcd in any condition. And if you actually care about the best possible picture you have a dark room.

Yes. Pros and cons to both. But it still looks miles better than any lcd in any condition. And if you actually care about the best possible picture you have a dark room.
As I already mentioned, reviews said it was because it did not have a polarization layer so whatever that means.

As I already mentioned, reviews said it was because it did not have a polarization layer so whatever that means.
OLED doesn't need a polarization layer because it doesn't use any backlighting. The grey issue is with Samsung's OLED panel and choice of AG coating, not due to a lack of polarization.

Reactions: DPI
like this
OLED doesn't need a polarization layer because it doesn't use any backlighting. The grey issue is with Samsung's OLED panel and choice of AG coating, not due to a lack of polarization.
So people that review monitors for a living have no idea what they're talking about?

Yea and how many people actually experienced burn in on a crt or traditional lcd? Can it happen? Sure but I never seen it. Outside Plasma, rear projection and OLED TVs burn in was never a concern for people.
I don't believe we were arguing percentages or likelihood just that, to make a statement like "It's not a thing anymore" is not true. I cited a few examples of problems, including an LCD that I managed to break.....and yes I know that was as much of a "WTF?" moment for me as anyone else and I'm sure it's pretty uncommon. But I did get image retention on a Plasma TV (expected) and a CRT display (not expected).

I'm sure they are fine to use for most people, especially if you follow the above posters suggestion of SCREENSAVER and Auto-Off..........but it can happen. Every year RTINGS or LTT or someone will bring up an article saying "yeah its pretty unlikely....buuuuuuuut here's our example of it happening" etc. LCD's these days you set it and forget it...........OLED's you need to be a little more involved with the device settings and management to make sure your desktop or taskbar isn't always visible, etc, *just to hedge your bets*.

No, thank you.

v7b7y64pnv951.jpg

So people that review monitors for a living have no idea what they're talking about?
Would like to see a review where they specifically talk about it. LG still polarizes the outer glass layer to prevent light reflecting off the color filter. They don't use an inner polarizer like LCD panels do. Perhaps that is why Samsung use an AG coating; they're not polarizing the outer glass and still need to deal with reflections.
Person admits that his uncle used this TV to watch news and sports channels all day. 19,000 hours of power logged over 3.5 years of ownership means he kept it on all day (14-15 hours per day) with bright stationary elements on the screen. You can clearly see the "ALERT" chiron from Fox News on the bottom.

https://old.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/ho8ryi/lg_burn_in/

Person admits that his uncle used this TV to watch news and sports channels all day. 19,000 hours of power logged over 3.5 years of ownership means he kept it on all day (14-15 hours per day) with bright stationary elements on the screen. You can clearly see the "ALERT" chiron from Fox News on the bottom.

And I use my PC all day with a stationary taskbar and icons on the screen.

Thank you for confirming that a PC monitor is in fact not a good use case for an OLED.

Thank you for confirming that a PC monitor is in fact not a good use case for an OLED.
Cool, no one is here to convince you. We're all perfectly happy to keep all of this superior display tech for ourselves.

Links to issue jobert is describing on asus:

youtube video around 33 seconds

https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidem...ardware_unboxed_provides_further_evidence_of/

although it's not clear to me if this is related to glossy vs non-glossy as the original argument

If I was in the market for a gaming monitor, this seems near perfect. Other than lack of 4k, lack of DSC, and it's curved (which for me is a big negative). It does make me happy that we're inching closer. LCD has had a 'nice run' but I am so ready to move on. Since SED never happened and it seems like Micro-LED can't scale up, I welcome significantly better pixel response time, better contrast, better color, and just better IQ in general.

I remember having desktop sized OLED display conversations as far back as at least 2017. Feels like forever.

I moved my icons to the start menu and taskbar, auto-hide taskbar and then set a rotating set of wallpapers. I also don't run my windows maximized since its a 48" display so I can wiggle them around a little. It took some getting used to but I love my OLED screen.

Is 42 or 48 too big?
I don't know how in the hell people could use a 48-in monitor for gaming on a desk that's even remotely normal size. I used a 42 in for about a week and it was not enjoyable at all and I have a very large desk. Playing third person games was not too bad as long as I sat way back and used the controller but any first person game was beyond ridiculous to try and play comfortably. I think I'm like most people in that a 32-in seems to be the best option as far as physical size goes. I've been using a 27-in for several years now and it just feels a bit small.

I moved my icons to the start menu and taskbar, auto-hide taskbar and then set a rotating set of wallpapers. I also don't run my windows maximized since its a 48" display so I can wiggle them around a little. It took some getting used to but I love my OLED screen.

If it works for you and you're happy, good.

I'm just amused how these discussions always start with "OLED burn-in isn't a thing" and gradually evolve into a multi-page document on steps to take to avoid OLED burn-in.

If it works for you and you're happy, good.

I'm just amused how these discussions always start with "OLED burn-in isn't a thing" and gradually evolve into a multi-page document on steps to take to avoid OLED burn-in.

Yeah and I have a bunch of LCDs at work that are burnt in too. Shit happens man. You can mitigate it or you can whine about it, your choice.

Yeah and I have a bunch of LCDs at work that are burnt in too. Shit happens man. You can mitigate it or you can whine about it, your choice.
I haven't seen a display tech yet, ever, without burn in.
CRT, LCD, Plasma. All have had burn in. Some of the worst was on CRT. You should see what a mis-aligned cathode-ray gun looks like mixed with burn in. Rainbow colors with static burnt in windows.

Last edited:
In my 30 years of fooling with displays I have never once seen any permanent burn in on a CRT or an LCD. Even none of the hundreds of monitors we have at work that have been there for no telling how many years have any burn in whatsoever that I've noticed. On the other hand my OLED phone screen has permanent burn in that occurred with less than a year of use.

In my 30 years of fooling with displays I have never once seen any permanent burn in on a CRT or an LCD. Even none of the hundreds of monitors we have at work that have been there for no telling how many years have any burn in whatsoever that I've noticed. On the other hand my OLED phone screen has permanent burn in that occurred with less than a year of use.

Then you've really missed out, some of the best artifacts I've ever seen are on old LCDs with CC backlights. They get this nice lightning pattern shimmer on them, its pretty amazing.

I've seen burn-in and image distortion effects on both CRT and LCD. You can abuse any display and get it to falter. OLED is a bit more finicky with static images, but even LCDs will eventually begin to degrade. It just take a really long time nowadays.

Only seen burn in on CRTs that were arcade monitors displaying the same loop for 24 hours a day for decades. LCD? Never.

Our brief experience with OLED phone displays was just like you said, burn in in less than a year.

Can we lower the temperature in this room a bit please? The issues with OLED tech are well documented, and while LG has made great advances in the durability of their WOLED tech, burn-in is still a possibility. However, LG wouldn't be releasing a WOLED gaming monitor that wasn't capable of withstanding the abuses of 99% of users on the market. To put it into perspective, my LG CX is blindingly bright in HDR or at 100% brightness in SDR. A normal user cannot stare at an image like that for prolonged periods of time without suffering some sort of eye strain and/or damage. Because of this, most users will probably run these monitors at between 0-20% brightness, and if so, they will NEVER see any sort of burn-in.

I'd be highly surprised if these monitors aren't just as hardy as a comparable LCD.

Curious as to what "error" the operators are committing.
It's not so much operator error as it is operator abuse. Burn-in is caused by bright static images being displayed for prolonged periods of time at above normal display brightness. The taskbar for windows will NOT cause burn-in as long as you run the display at 0-30% display brightness (this is very bright... trust me) and let the display go into a screensaver or turn off after 5-15 minutes. It really is that simple.

Last edited:
I don't know how in the hell people could use a 48-in monitor for gaming on a desk that's even remotely normal size. I used a 42 in for about a week and it was not enjoyable at all and I have a very large desk. Playing third person games was not too bad as long as I sat way back and used the controller but any first person game was beyond ridiculous to try and play comfortably. I think I'm like most people in that a 32-in seems to be the best option as far as physical size goes. I've been using a 27-in for several years now and it just feels a bit small.
People that use 42 are in it for the immersive experience of single player games so frames and input lag arent their #1 priority. These people mostly suck at FPS games. One size doesnt fit all.

Thank you, LG, for finally launching a display well suited to a 3070 during a time when 4090s are a thing.

I'm still waiting on all of the 4K120 screens announced during CES 2017-2020 to hit the market.

People that use 42 are in it for the immersive experience of single player games so frames and input lag arent their #1 priority. These people mostly suck at FPS games. One size doesnt fit all.
:ROFLMAO:
Thank you, LG, for finally launching a display well suited to a 3070 during a time when 4090s are a thing.

I'm still waiting on all of the 4K120 screens announced during CES 2017-2020 to hit the market.
I have two 4K120 screens on my PC desk right now: ASUS PG27UQ and AORUS FO48U.

Back