LG OLED CX vs C9 for PC use

Outbreaker

Limp Gawd
Hi,
I'm not sure what display would be the best fit for a PC display. I read that the C9 gets a little bit brighter. Does the CX have no advantages over the C9 as a PC display?

CX comes in a 48" model and that is already a massive improvement for PC use.

I can't tell any relevant difference between my C9 and CX in image quality.

I know, but i don't need a 48" i use my PC from a sofa. And a 48 GB HDMI is also only needed for a 12-bit panel. So i don't see what the advantages are with the CX model.

Last edited:
I know, but i don't need a 48" i use my PC from a sofa. And a 48 GB HDMI is also only needed for a 12-bit panel. So i don't see what the advantages are with the CX model.
Better black frame insertion if you care about that and a tiny bit better menus (easier to find firmware update screen and a shortcut to show a small diagnostics box that tells you what res etc you are running...nothing that would be a deal breaker). CX series also supports Freesync whereas C9 only supports HDMI 2.1 VRR. This is unlikely to matter for anything really.

Bandwidth is not going to matter. They are both 10-bit panels so being able to accept 12-bit color does not have much practical effect. CX series will also receive more updates along the line.

Just buy the cheaper one in the size you prefer.

Dose "Better Black Frame" (BFI) even work or is it even useful on a PC?
What i understand is that the C9/CX models all have a VRR range of 40Hz-120Hz and the GPU will take care of the LFC (frame doubling/tripling) whit HDMI 2.1. So is this FreeSync/G-Sync branding not a little bit useless?

Last edited:
BFI is fantastic and definitely usable if you are chasing maximum motion clarity in games where you can consistently push a lot more than 120 fps. It's even usable at 60hz but the flicker is severe and I don't recommend it for most people.

It's a fairly specific use case and doesn't apply to everyone though. Most people will be better off with VRR when playing recent titles.

If you're like me and got the 48CX for work and play... Work might be an issue depending on your laptop. I actually have a "newer" laptop and docking station. HP Elitebook i5-365u + HP G5 docking station. After research both can do 4k60hz, i just need to use display port. Problem is 48cx has no DP. So, I'm patiently waiting for my club 3d DP to hdmi (not the 4k120hz version which is sold out apparently). But I hope i can actually do 4k60hz. 30hz is a pain in the ass, slow as balls.

Dose "Better Black Frame" (BFI) even work or is it even useful on a PC?
What i understand is that the C9/CX models all have a VRR range of 40Hz-120Hz and the GPU will take care of the LFC (frame doubling/tripling) whit HDMI 2.1. So is this FreeSync/G-Sync branding not a little bit useless?
Yes 120 Hz BFI works pretty great. You do have to give up VRR so it's something I would use for games that run at high framerates at all times. It also dims HDR highlights too much so it's more of a nice extra option to have. If I played multiplayer shooters I would probably use it as those are typically SDR with high framerates.

G-Sync on these is just HDMI 2.1 VRR rebranded. Freesync support is actual Freesync over HDMI which is only supported by AMD GPUs and Xbox. So they are different implementations of the same thing. I don't know how that works out for Xbox Series X if it uses HDMI 2.1 VRR or Freesync over HDMI. In any case on the CX the Freesync option is something you can enable separately from its menus. I have an Nvidia GPU so I can't tell if it makes any difference.

Back