LG 48CX: Ideal viewing distance for gaming and work, helpful software (tiling) and other helpful info

kill8r

Limp Gawd
Hi All,

Super excited this bad boy is being delivered tomorrow and I could use some help please:

1) What is the ideal viewing distance to enjoy 4k gaming but to also make it effective for work (excel, outlook, etc)?

2) What is the ideal height for the screen? Do I want my eyes looking straight at the center of the screen when my head is in a neutral position?

3) Is there any software that is helpful to make the most fo the screen? Tiling software etc?

Thanks

1. About 1m or more depending on your preferences. Minimum I would say 80 cm.
2. I have mine at the same level as my desk, tilted just a tiny bit back. I use a floor stand. I highly recommend using anything other than the default stand unless you have a very deep desk or don't have the need to put it close to a wall.
3. DisplayFusion, MS Powertoys Fancyzones, probably app like Magnet on the Mac but I haven't bothered with those yet. I just split mine with Fancyzones for window management.

I’m right around 3 foot with mine mounted flush with the wall. Also level with my desk.

Attachments

• 07738884-E0C0-482E-BA16-6A41244D69ED.jpeg
    07738884-E0C0-482E-BA16-6A41244D69ED.jpeg
    383.1 KB · Views: 0
1. Considering normal distance from a monitor is 1m and this being huge (1.5 the size of a 32 incher), I would guess 1.5m if you mind moving your head up and down (like I do), but 1m as a bare minimum...
2. In general you should be looking down at it a bit. For "normal" sized monitors that usually means being close to their top at "eye level", I would guess upper 1/3rd with this one...
3. I use GridMove (mapped to keyboard shortcuts) on my 32 incher and love it, you do need to download a patched one though for it to work correctly with window borders in win10, try it first, and if you like it check out this https://github.com/jgpaiva/GridMove/issues/10

THX recommends 4.8ft as an optimal distance from a 48". This provides a viewing angle of 40 degrees.
For PC use, I prefer 4.0ft which provides a viewing angle of 45 degrees.

Eye sight loses definition beyond 45 degrees.. so at 3Ft (viewing angle of 60 degrees), it means that your head/neck will have to constantly move to compensate for the blurriness around the edge of the TV

THX recommends 4.8ft as an optimal distance from a 48". This provides a viewing angle of 40 degrees.
For PC use, I prefer 4.0ft which provides a viewing angle of 45 degrees.

Eye sight loses definition beyond 45 degrees.. so at 3Ft (viewing angle of 60 degrees), it means that your head/neck will have to constantly move to compensate for the blurriness around the edge of the TV
Having used super ultrawide, there is no need to see every spot on the display all at once for desktop use or gaming. THX recommendations are usually purely for watching movies. At 4 feet I feel I would have to use significantly more scaling to make up for the distance so I have comfortable text size.

I use mine at about 30 inches away with 100% scaling.

For games it's super immersive because you have a lot more of your real life FOV covered. It's easier to aim because you're focused on the center of the screen and kind of zoomed in compared to sitting further back. I set the FOV setting higher in FPS so it isn't too zoomed in and matches the setup better.

For normal PC usage it's like using a multi-monitor setup but you just have one big seemless screen instead of 4 24" 1080p screens. Text is still comfortably readable and everything.

I don't use any custom software yet. For now I just move windows around however I like.

Back