LG 38GL950G - 37.5" 3840x1600/G-Sync/175Hz

Ugh. I picked up a 38GN950-B. Beautiful monitor. Unfortunately this one has to go back because it has a dead pixel right smack in the middle of the screen. :(

Exactly, it can't be comfortable sitting a couple fert from it either for long term use.

Any specs? I am very interested in a high refresh rate 4k monitor st around 38 or 40 inches

The Alienware will be a revision of the LG and will use the same panel.

The Alienware will be a revision of the LG and will use the same panel.
I have a humble hope that the Gsync Ultimate spec was not a typo, and the Dell is something special... In any case, waiting is free, and I'm not buying any new display before the Alienware 38" specs are official.

I grabbed one of these once I was able to grab a 3080. Day one with it has been great. I really have to listen for the fan to hear it. There's some vignetting on the top and bottom but it's only noticeable when I full screen a white test background. I'm stuck at 100Hz on a GTX970 while I wait for delivery. I've never had anything over 1080p 60Hz and my mind is blown just with the slight increase. Neat. Would have been nice if the Dell version of this was released but I'm not waiting until next year with the games that are coming out. Plus, my main game is FS2020.

It would be interesting to see some real world benchmarks on the rtx 3080 or 3090 with these monitors on current titles like COD Modern Warfare or FS2020. We always have to interpret resolutions either up from1440 or down from 2160p. The 3090, IMO, is woefully situated at its price since it only offers about 7-10fps over the 3080. That also makes me wonder how a 3080Ti will fare or if it will be offered at all. If a Ti comes out, how could it perform better than a standard 3080 and not surpass a 3090? Nvidia would seem to have a problem in this area.

It would be interesting to see some real world benchmarks on the rtx 3080 or 3090 with these monitors on current titles like COD Modern Warfare or FS2020. We always have to interpret resolutions either up from1440 or down from 2160p. The 3090, IMO, is woefully situated at its price since it only offers about 7-10fps over the 3080. That also makes me wonder how a 3080Ti will fare or if it will be offered at all. If a Ti comes out, how could it perform better than a standard 3080 and not surpass a 3090? Nvidia would seem to have a problem in this area.
I've been flying in FS2020 with ultra settings/3080/Ryzen 1800X. I'm generally around 30 fps. Landed at KSFO and things were smooth. The game is CPU limited so I'm looking forward to a 3900X.

Foothills of the Alps. 34fps
unknown (1).png

I held off on playing MW until I could play at max settings. Finished the campaign yesterday and had zero slowdowns. Is there a way to bench MW to get some numbers?

Last edited:
Please forgive if this has been asked and answered. I looked through this thread and don't see the problem mentioned. I'm using the LG 38GL950G-B monitor and I'm having a problem with the included software. When I start the on-screen control app, It should look like this;

DmuD0iul.jpg

But what I get is this;

mon.jpg

It's connected via a 10ft displayport 1.4 cable, and I have the USB 3.0 cable connected. I've looked for an updated version of the software but what I have is current. I've also looked for a firmware update without success. I've also tried running the LGFirmwareUpdater.exe in the OnScreen Control/bin directory, and that doesn't seem to do anything. I've tried running the software on a second machine as well, and it's the same. Google leads me to others having the same issue, but without any solution.

Any ideas? Does anyone with this monitor have the software working properly? It's not a huge problem since I can change settings using the control on the unit, but would be nice if I could get the software working.

Please forgive if this has been asked and answered. I looked through this thread and don't see the problem mentioned. I'm using the LG 38GL950G-B monitor and I'm having a problem with the included software. When I start the on-screen control app, It should look like this;

View attachment 288055

But what I get is this;

View attachment 288058

It's connected via a 10ft displayport 1.4 cable, and I have the USB 3.0 cable connected. I've looked for an updated version of the software but what I have is current. I've also looked for a firmware update without success. I've also tried running the LGFirmwareUpdater.exe in the OnScreen Control/bin directory, and that doesn't seem to do anything. I've tried running the software on a second machine as well, and it's the same. Google leads me to others having the same issue, but without any solution.

Any ideas? Does anyone with this monitor have the software working properly? It's not a huge problem since I can change settings using the control on the unit, but would be nice if I could get the software working.
I saw the same thing so I uninstalled it.

View attachment 288055

But what I get is this;

View attachment 288058

Can it really do PIP? Wild if true

View attachment 288055

But what I get is this;

View attachment 288058

38GL here as well and I opened my OnScreen Control to check, I also get the 2nd screen. Why do you think you should be seeing the first? After previously having a Dell ultrawide, and currently having 2 dell ultrawides, the LG onscreen control is annoying and I just don't use it. Disappointing.

1602542791294.png

I've been flying in FS2020 with ultra settings/3080/Ryzen 1800X. I'm generally around 30 fps. Landed at KSFO and things were smooth. The game is CPU limited so I'm looking forward to a 3900X.

Foothills of the Alps. 34fps

I held off on playing MW until I could play at max settings. Finished the campaign yesterday and had zero slowdowns. Is there a way to bench MW to get some numbers?

There is no benchmark in COD MW. I'm not sure if the relatively few benchmarks I've seen are from simple gameplay repeated at the same place or something else. I play it on an RTX 2080Ti w/ mostly maxed out graphics but real performance hogs off (AntiAlias, HBAO, etc) and can get a steady 144 fps w/ occasional drops below to the high 120's - 130's. I'm using an I-9700k at 5.0ghz. There's simply no denying the image on this monitor is stunning.

38GL here as well and I opened my OnScreen Control to check, I also get the 2nd screen. Why do you think you should be seeing the first? After previously having a Dell ultrawide, and currently having 2 dell ultrawides, the LG onscreen control is annoying and I just don't use it. Disappointing.
I had no particular reason to expect the extra options other than it works for other LG monitors. I suppose that a lot of functions that now require the use of the monitor control stick may be available in the software, which would be a bit easier to use if the software works. What's the point of the USB port when the functions that it supports in the software do not exist?

I reinstalled the LG Software - the one that makes the LEDs mimic the screen colors is cool - like the old school Philips gaming lights.

I had initially tried the screen segmenting app but found it too limiting. I'm giving it another try because every time my monitor sleeps, the windows get reset to a very small size and stacked in the upper left corner.

What I don't like is that the vertical split is so limited - a 50/50 or 75/25 is not great - a 65/35 or 60/40 (or better yet, something you can customize) would be better for me. But with 50/50, you get two 1920x1600 areas which is good enough...

I'm running into an issue where the monitor goes into deep sleep and comes out of it @100Hz. No way to increase it unless you reboot. I think I've seen mention of this before but I can't remember if there was a solution.

I had no particular reason to expect the extra options other than it works for other LG monitors. I suppose that a lot of functions that now require the use of the monitor control stick may be available in the software, which would be a bit easier to use if the software works. What's the point of the USB port when the functions that it supports in the software do not exist?
Yup, i'd also expect full software control. But another reason for the USB cable is to work as a "passthrough" for USB decides plugged into the monitor. For example I have a USB headtracking camera and a USB webcam plugged into my 38GL.

70-100FPS maxed out after a couple of missions in MW. Price is such a badass.

Any thoughts on the 38GL950 vs the 38GN950 given that they are essentially the same price at the moment? Given that it sounds like neither HDR implementation is ideal, I'm leaning towards the 38GL950 for the gsync module as that functionality is more important to me than HDR. Real world I'm not sure theirs much difference. Any other differences I'm overlooking?

Any thoughts on the 38GL950 vs the 38GN950 given that they are essentially the same price at the moment? Given that it sounds like neither HDR implementation is ideal, I'm leaning towards the 38GL950 for the gsync module as that functionality is more important to me than HDR. Real world I'm not sure theirs much difference. Any other differences I'm overlooking?

I think the GN has pbp / pip and more inputs but for best gaming, i like the GL

Wanted to keep it too but my 3818dw is better for 60% of the work I do (vs 40% gaming) with better uniformity, sRGB deltaE and 3 way KVM. May be they will release a new 3820dw or a similar alienware combining best of both worlds soon.
Also, while costco coverage makes up for it, LG selling these $1k+ gaming monitors with anything less than 3 year advance exchange policy is simply inexcusable.
The 3821dw is supposed to be released sometime in November, it wont be cheap and you'll be able to get their 5y warranty: https://www.kitguru.net/desktop-pc/...-gaming-monitors-with-ips-nano-colour-panels/

Does anyone know how to exit service menu? I've just finished my fan-delete project but I'm stuck in the service menu!
I think I'm in the AGING screen, the one that walks around the border of the screen showing the temp and fan status. I can't escape.

If you wanted to pair this with a 27" monitor, what's the closest equivalent? The 27GL850-B? Primarily looking for something that matches in color, etc. Was looking at the 27GL83A-B but wondering if the more limited color gamut will make a difference when looking at them side by side.

Hey does anyone know why the led ring on the back of my LG38GL950G turned solid red when I switched it off today.

It stays solid RED even though the monitor is not turned on, and for some reason I cannot turn it on anymore unless I unplug the power cord and reconnect it.

But then the same thing happens when I turn the monitor off, solid red ring appears on the back and monitor cannot be turned on again unless I unplug/plug power cord back in.

Had this monitor for 6 months now and it happens today??

Hey does anyone know why the led ring on the back of my LG38GL950G turned solid red when I switched it off today.

It stays solid RED even though the monitor is not turned on, and for some reason I cannot turn it on anymore unless I unplug the power cord and reconnect it.

But then the same thing happens when I turn the monitor off, solid red ring appears on the back and monitor cannot be turned on again unless I unplug/plug power cord back in.

Oh man. Might be some sort of indicator. Contact support and let them know. Then let us know.

Red ring of death?

I don't know, what does it mean?

FML.

Happens after 2 hrs of using my new 3090 FTW3 Ultra.

Wtf!

The GL has a g-sync module and that allows a feature no one has addressed - variable overdrive. Isn't this supposed to make stuff clearer on the screen?

Is anyone else experiencing occasional blank screen problems? I've seen it happen very very rarely over the year but over the last few days, it's happened enough times that I'm a bit concerned.

Over the last few days, I've had some 1-2 second screen blanks - maybe 2-4 per day. Over the past 6 months, I've maybe had 2-3 total.

The blank outs have happened on both HDMI and Display Port - and from 2 different sources on HDMI (work laptop and Nvidia Shield via an HDMI matrix switch)

The DP cable is a high quality Fiber Optic cable and I have not been "messing with" any of the cables on the monitor. If it was just on the HDMI side, I would let it slide as an artifact of the HDMI 4x2 switch but it's happening on DP too.

Yes, definitely experience that as well. It doesn't happen often enough for it to be all that annoying, and it seems that once the monitor is on for a few minutes, it doesn't do it. Mine has done it basically from day 1.

Is anyone else experiencing occasional blank screen problems? I've seen it happen very very rarely over the year but over the last few days, it's happened enough times that I'm a bit concerned.

Over the last few days, I've had some 1-2 second screen blanks - maybe 2-4 per day. Over the past 6 months, I've maybe had 2-3 total.

The blank outs have happened on both HDMI and Display Port - and from 2 different sources on HDMI (work laptop and Nvidia Shield via an HDMI matrix switch)

The DP cable is a high quality Fiber Optic cable and I have not been "messing with" any of the cables on the monitor. If it was just on the HDMI side, I would let it slide as an artifact of the HDMI 4x2 switch but it's happening on DP too.

Can't say I've noticed this type of behavior with mine. Tho I'll be sure to be on the lookout for it. I have a 38GN950-B, not the GL950-G

I have been having a blank screen issue as well and mine has the added issue of literally turning the monitor off. The only thing I have been doing for extensive periods is playing COD Black Ops (monitor is dedicated to flight sim/gaming use). I will be in the midst of a game and suddenly the monitor blanks out. I can hear the game running via sound but the monitor is off. I turn it on and the game re-appears BUT in windowed mode and at a lower resolution of 1440p. It is disorienting and a pain to reset everything mid game in the graphics menu. I wondered if it had anything to do with the GPU heating up over time or the monitor. Next time it happens I'm going to minimize the game and see if the desktop settings have changed as well. Hope it's not the monitor failing on me.

Does anyone know how to exit service menu? I've just finished my fan-delete project but I'm stuck in the service menu!
I think I'm in the AGING screen, the one that walks around the border of the screen showing the temp and fan status. I can't escape.
"You need to move the cursor down to the bottom of the service menu where there isn't any option (blank) then power cycle."

In case anyone is wondering watercooling my GL950G now has the die temp at 40C but most importantly, no fan noise at all.

I've been in the hospital for 10 days. My wife was using my pc while I'm here and this LG seems to have failed.

Bias lighting fires off, red led on power button but no display of any kind.

Did some remote troubleshooting but seems to be broke.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

At least I paid for the 3 year warranty...

Could be a display input / sync issue. I’d try cycling inputs and a different laptop / cable / input to confirm that’s not the problem.
Hope you feel better!

Could be a display input / sync issue. I’d try cycling inputs and a different laptop / cable / input to confirm that’s not the problem.
Hope you feel better!
Thanks, I should be home in a few hours.

The i asked them to try this but there is no display, even the power on or input menu...

Back