LG 38GL950G - 37.5" 3840x1600/G-Sync/175Hz

Monitors don't have "Drivers" per-sey anymore. Monitors offer up the to video card Extended Display Identification Data (EDID), which is a metadata format for display devices to describe their capabilities to the video source. The data format is defined by a standard published by the Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA).

Thanks for the heads up. For a while I was looking for LG 38GL950G 'drivers' because all my previous Dell displays would have drivers that I would install and then point Windows 10 at the correct directory to use them. For the 38GL I guess as long as NVIDIA control panel sees the monitor it's enough...
1592947154775.png

this guy did. see pics here:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33645756

he also replaced the GSYNC module fan and the hissing is gone. read the thread from the point i linked to.

I read through this thread and took their advice. I bought 2 replacement fans and took apart my 38GL950G down to the mainboard with gysync module and fan. The gsync fan makes a hissing noise even as you spin it by hand. Then I took each of the 2 replacements fans and spun them in my hand and despite the unscientific test I could tell they make the same 'hiss' noise as they spin. It must be the bearings of that fan or something. Hugely disappointing. The OP of that thread later stated that a 'hissing' noise still exists but it's just quieter now. I've sent back the original hissing monitor and replaced a 2nd new one from LG.com. This monitor has the same hissing noise. So after all this work and effort I have to accept that this 38GL950G has a hissing fan and that I hadn't just received a defective monitor or defective fan. How could LG have not anticipated this monitor being used in a quiet environment, for example 8 hours for work during the day? I know it's meant to be an high-performance gaming monitor but still I imagine a higher quality fan being a simple solution. There's a 2nd fan inside which is a blower style off to the side that doesn't seem to spin up during startup and doesn't seem to run during normal idling; I think this 2nd fan is to help cool further if it passes a certain temp. Both fans have a tiny 4-pin connector with blue, yellow, red, and black wires. The red and black wires are flipped from one fan to the next otherwise I was going to try connecting the sideblower fan as the main fan and the hissing fan as the backup. If I had any experience with wiring/soldering I could just switch the red and black wires but it seems like a poor solution. This was my first time disassembling a monitor and it wasn't too difficult. If I can find the tool to monitor the gysync temps etc... then I would consider disconnecting/removing the hissing fan, cutting the internal steel bracket, and maybe the outer plastic, to fit a quiet high-quality PWM fan in there and connect it to the back of the monitor through USB. I have my PC on my desktop next to me and I don't hear the fans @ 800rpm and water pump @1200rpm so I'm confident a small high-quality fan at low RPM would also be inaudible to me and would probably cool the gsync module enough. Sorry for the ramble. I wanted to share my findings but was too lazy to reread and rewrite.

I read through this thread and took their advice. I bought 2 replacement fans and took apart my 38GL950G down to the mainboard with gysync module and fan. The gsync fan makes a hissing noise even as you spin it by hand. Then I took each of the 2 replacements fans and spun them in my hand and despite the unscientific test I could tell they make the same 'hiss' noise as they spin. It must be the bearings of that fan or something. Hugely disappointing. The OP of that thread later stated that a 'hissing' noise still exists but it's just quieter now. I've sent back the original hissing monitor and replaced a 2nd new one from LG.com. This monitor has the same hissing noise. So after all this work and effort I have to accept that this 38GL950G has a hissing fan and that I hadn't just received a defective monitor or defective fan. How could LG have not anticipated this monitor being used in a quiet environment, for example 8 hours for work during the day? I know it's meant to be an high-performance gaming monitor but still I imagine a higher quality fan being a simple solution. There's a 2nd fan inside which is a blower style off to the side that doesn't seem to spin up during startup and doesn't seem to run during normal idling; I think this 2nd fan is to help cool further if it passes a certain temp. Both fans have a tiny 4-pin connector with blue, yellow, red, and black wires. The red and black wires are flipped from one fan to the next otherwise I was going to try connecting the sideblower fan as the main fan and the hissing fan as the backup. If I had any experience with wiring/soldering I could just switch the red and black wires but it seems like a poor solution. This was my first time disassembling a monitor and it wasn't too difficult. If I can find the tool to monitor the gysync temps etc... then I would consider disconnecting/removing the hissing fan, cutting the internal steel bracket, and maybe the outer plastic, to fit a quiet high-quality PWM fan in there and connect it to the back of the monitor through USB. I have my PC on my desktop next to me and I don't hear the fans @ 800rpm and water pump @1200rpm so I'm confident a small high-quality fan at low RPM would also be inaudible to me and would probably cool the gsync module enough. Sorry for the ramble. I wanted to share my findings but was too lazy to reread and rewrite.
I would not try to reverse the fans used. They are the way they are for a reason.

The fans used will have an effect if they have any motor/bearing noises and at what RPM. The design of the heatsink limits what you can use and can also be the cause of the hissing if air flows through its fins in a particular way or depending on how any exhaust grilles are laid out. You probably can’t replace the heatsink with a different design due to space and mounting constraints so I don’t think there is any good solution other than living with it or getting a different monitor. The Freesync models that are just coming to market probably don’t have fans.

I noticed today (Sunday 6/28) that Costco has the LG 38GN950-B in stock and selling for $1599, which is the lowest price previously seen during the early sale days. I'm sure it likely has a 'special' Costco model number, but the specs seem to be the same as the original. Also, reference some earlier posts on firmware/edid files for the monitor, I have an LG folder which has an installer for the ultrawide monitors. The setup file installs to the Nvidia gpu apparently as this is listed in a drop down box during install. Under Device Manager - Monitors, under manufacturers (LG), there are listings for LG Ultrawide Display Port, HDMI, DVI. Once I select Display Port, it shows in the Device Manager accurately. HOWEVER - I question that this changes or improves anything much, just more accurately describes the monitor in use. Possibly under the Nvidia install, it does provide some additional info to the gpu such as gamut or resolution, but I have no idea what and whether it is helpful in any way.

I noticed today (Sunday 6/28) that Costco has the LG 38GN950-B in stock and selling for $1599, which is the lowest price previously seen during the early sale days. I'm sure it likely has a 'special' Costco model number, but the specs seem to be the same as the original. Also, reference some earlier posts on firmware/edid files for the monitor, I have an LG folder which has an installer for the ultrawide monitors. The setup file installs to the Nvidia gpu apparently as this is listed in a drop down box during install. Under Device Manager - Monitors, under manufacturers (LG), there are listings for LG Ultrawide Display Port, HDMI, DVI. Once I select Display Port, it shows in the Device Manager accurately. HOWEVER - I question that this changes or improves anything much, just more accurately describes the monitor in use. Possibly under the Nvidia install, it does provide some additional info to the gpu such as gamut or resolution, but I have no idea what and whether it is helpful in any way.
Amazing! Thank you for the heads-up! I've been struggling with coping with the 38GL fan so I just placed an order on costco.com for the 38GN. Now I can compare side-by-side to my heart's content and eventually sleep easy at night with my choice.

Amazon claims to have it in stock...

I'd want to stack it with another 38" monitor from LG, total buyout something >US$2000 right now once tax and Ergotron arms are included.

Got to wonder if that's at all worthwhile vs. just get a 48CX.
The fans used will have an effect if they have any motor/bearing noises and at what RPM.
I wonder if this can just be replaced with a Noctua. Probably not for the feint of heart to attempt though.

So what's the consensus around here on the fan? Is it a deal breaker if you work in a quiet environment? Looking to possibly snatch one of these up once prices drop a bit.

So what's the consensus around here on the fan? Is it a deal breaker if you work in a quiet environment? Looking to possibly snatch one of these up once prices drop a bit.

I don't know. I like my office very quiet and I never hear mine - and it's on 15+ hours per day coming up on 6 months. Hopefully it doesn't start to fail and become loud - maybe other people have a defective fan?

If they're going to do this going forward, they should just make a massive passive heatsink/heatpipe assembly. You could work that into the design and make it look decent - if you cared.

I don't know. I like my office very quiet and I never hear mine - and it's on 15+ hours per day coming up on 6 months. Hopefully it doesn't start to fail and become loud - maybe other people have a defective fan?

If they're going to do this going forward, they should just make a massive passive heatsink/heatpipe assembly. You could work that into the design and make it look decent - if you cared.
You don't hear a hissing noise coming from your LG 38GL950G? What is the manufacture date (label on the back of the display) if you don't mind...

You don't hear a hissing noise coming from your LG 38GL950G? What is the manufacture date (label on the back of the display) if you don't mind...
I've been reading a few reports that Nvidia has changed the fan on gsync modules but I haven't seen anything that proves that aside from positive reports on newly purchased gsync monitors.

They really just shit in customers' faces. The level of arrogance is incredible.

I cannot wait until the market is flooded with HDMI 2.1 GPUs and TVs and we can just tell these companies to go fuck themselves with their laughably overpriced, garbage computer monitors.

They really just shit in customers' faces. The level of arrogance is incredible.

I cannot wait until the market is flooded with HDMI 2.1 GPUs and TVs and we can just tell these companies to go fuck themselves with their laughably overpriced, garbage computer monitors.
Which we're likely buying from LG, the same company...

Why are you blaming LG when it's an Nvidia component? This gsync fan issue is occurring with multiple gsync monitors.

Why are you blaming LG when it's an Nvidia component? This gsync fan issue is occurring with multiple gsync monitors.
More like most vendors simply halfassed the integration. Not something that makes sense, but that's more or less what they've done.

Maybe they assumed that people would be using headphones and not care?

They just know that gamers eat shit and ask for more. Creating the owners threads all over the nets complaining and discussing instead of just returning the faulty pos.

The alternatives are the 38GN950 and 38WN95C/38BN95C. Is the G-Sync module really worth it?

The alternatives are the 38GN950 and 38WN95C/38BN95C. Is the G-Sync module really worth it?
When I tested the 34gk950f vs 950g, I noticed the difference even though the non-gsync model had a higher refresh rate. That said, I don't think the 950f was ever validated by nvidia for g-sync even though I was able to enable it.

You think there will be a flood to large, curved ultrawide monitors? Mainly because the next gen of GPU's will support HDMI 2.1 and that will somehow create more demand for large, high-performance gaming monitors?

You think there will be a flood to large, curved ultrawide monitors? Mainly because the next gen of GPU's will support HDMI 2.1 and that will somehow create more demand for large, high-performance gaming monitors?

You're just going to be able to buy 40" HDMI 2.1 TVs and run them at ultrawide resolutions and you'll have an "ultrawide."

You're just going to be able to buy 40" HDMI 2.1 TVs and run them at ultrawide resolutions and you'll have an "ultrawide."

Except nobody makes 40" TVs anymore. Even the 43" category is just max 60 Hz budget grade stuff. The LG CX 48" OLED is the smallest 4K TV worth a damn.

Curved is also useful for displays this size. I wish my 48" OLED was curved.

Except nobody makes 40" TVs anymore. Even the 43" category is just max 60 Hz budget grade stuff. The LG CX 48" OLED is the smallest 4K TV worth a damn.

I wish 48" OLED was LG 38GL950G, but OLED...

I bet Samsung will make a 40" HDMI 2.1 display.

I have literally never heard the fan on mine. I only know it’s there from reaching behind my desk and having my head physically touching my monitor.

I’m at 2.5 feet distance and with normal ambient noise (live adjacent to a park)

Got top of the line WC setup on my PC with a very quiet ramp on the fans. Still never heard it.

Could be I’m lucky for a change, could be a regional issue (I have apac model). Maybe I’m just old and deaf *shrug*, I can hear my gpu coil whine though so I can’t be *that* deaf.

Based on what? Most 40+ inch monitors currently on the market are 43" IPS models or TVs. Pretty much nobody makes a 40" size 4K display anymore.

I pulled it out of my ass. I guess 43" it is. Even so, 43" in ultrawide mode isn't that big.

I pulled it out of my ass. I guess 43" it is. Even so, 43" in ultrawide mode isn't that big.

A 38" Ultrawide is the same width as a 40" 16x9

I consider it the limit in monitor width - mine is so wide I have to place my speakers wider than I prefer.

A 38" Ultrawide is the same width as a 40" 16x9

I consider it the limit in monitor width - mine is so wide I have to place my speakers wider than I prefer.

Yeah a monitor arm/wall mount and wall mounted speakers is probably going to become mandatory for me. My speaker setup actually really sucks right now because my front center speaker is actually off to my left because it's too big to fit under my monitor. First world problems.

I’ve got a 6 foot desk and don’t really have enough space for this screen with speakers and a lamp.
Practically speaking I think 40-43 at 21:9 is the sweet spot but speakers are hard. Mine have axial tweeters too so makes it even harder as they need to be at head level really and they’re quite chunky.

When I move house I’m getting tempted to just go to a more talented carpenter than me and getting an av setup like but with nice woods etc (obligitary 10K desk reference)
F578EB90-4DCF-4301-8C5D-C505CA70932F.jpeg

Either that or just putting in a slatwall.
Been getting quotes this week for clamp mounted lamps too. Desk space is such a premium and I’ve not even put in the inset screen yet.

As it doesn't look like we will be getting a gaming 5120×2160 (4K ultrawide) panel any time soon, I have now circled back to thinking about upgrading to the Acer X38P equivalent of this monitor. Apart from the increased real estate, will I notice any significant improvement over my first gen Acer X34?

I saw that after posting my question...do you have any pictures of the issue and is the LG38GL950G going to be any different given its the same panel?

I also see that Acer has announced the Acer XR383CKP, might that not have the same issue?
I didn't record any video. The LG38GL950G doesn't seem to have particularly this issue, but have other issues such as vignetting, noisy fan and coil wine.

I think the Acer XR383CKP will not have it, most likely it is X38 specific.

As it doesn't look like we will be getting a gaming 5120×2160 (4K ultrawide) panel any time soon, I have now circled back to thinking about upgrading to the Acer X38P equivalent of this monitor. Apart from the increased real estate, will I notice any significant improvement over my first gen Acer X34?

Yes

IMO the LG 38" is the currently the best gaming monitor around (and yes I also own an LG OLED CX48 sitting next to it)

Yes

IMO the LG 38" is the currently the best gaming monitor around (and yes I also own an LG OLED CX48 sitting next to it)

Given the pixel density is identical to an X34 I would be interested to know what you think will be noticeable...whether it be better color reproduction, contrast, input lag, pixel response, etc.

So is it better? Or is it better to stick with the other if you're running an nVidia card?
Good question. I'm stuck trying to decide between the two monitors while I wait for the new Nvidia cards to come out.

Back