LG 2023 OLED TVs

Unfortunately Sony isn't exactly the paragon of updates either. Didn't it take them a long time to even support VRR on their stuff?
They also charge a lot. A A95K is like $1000 more than the S95B. While it does have some improved features, like a nice heatsink, it is still a pretty steep increase to pay and not really justified by the features.

Sony really charges too much for their name. Like they make good TVs that tend to have premium features, but then they go too far on the premium pricing.

That's why I have an S95B. I would have liked a A95K, and would pay a few hundred more for it, but not as much as they wanted.

Looks like LG's MLA panel can compete with QD-OLED, at least on a brightness front.

1672855650982.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230104_090032_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230104_090032_YouTube.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
HDTVTEST:

woled.png

Looks like WOLED that has META panel (uses MLA) is also available in 27" and 45" monitors O.O.

I dunno if I buy that considering the 45" was confirmed to be a WBC panel from the CX generation.

Also LG is only offering it's traditional 1 year on the 27" and an amazing 2 years on the 45" neither of which mention anything regarding burn in. It's only Corsair offering 3 years with a explicit no burn in warranty and ironically they seem to be the one letting the panel flex in terms of brightness and actually hitting the panel specification figures unlike LG's version.

Samsung Display confirms 2023 QD-OLED with 77", 2000+ nits peak brightness​

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1672725658

"Samsung Display has confirmed that 2023 QD-OLED will be available in 34 inches and now also 49 inches for monitors as well as 55 and 65 inches and now also 77 inches for TVs."

"It has applied a "new OLED HyperEfficient EL material" to improve color brightness of each RGB pixel. It relates to "the blue emitting layer of QD-OLED. As a result, RGB light that passes through the QD color conversion layer is much brighter and the colors much clearer", the company explained."

I wonder what the size measurements are for the 34" as I'm space constrained by a nook that accepted a 32" plasma so maybe with the thinner bezels I could at last upgrade to OLED?

Not sure why anyone would buy an LG WRGB OLED (at least at 55 or 65") over Samsung QD-OLED. My Samsung S95B absolutely wrecks my LG C2.
Post-purchase support. My Samsung Q90R has gotten very few updates since launch, things constantly broken, slow OS, etc.

My LG CX, by comparison, gets constant updates to this day, tons of items have been fixed, OS is super smooth and responsive, and LG has even added features to the TV post purchase.

I'd purchase LG any day of the week now. Their customer support is amazing.

Reactions: elvn
like this
Post-purchase support. My Samsung Q90R has gotten very few updates since launch, things constantly broken, slow OS, etc.

My LG CX, by comparison, gets constant updates to this day, tons of items have been fixed, OS is super smooth and responsive, and LG has even added features to the TV post purchase.

I'd purchase LG any day of the week now. Their customer support is amazing.
Samsung must hate you, I have been using Samsung since 2015 and have like 6 of their highend model since and no problem at all.

There are a lot of people having issues with the S95B in terms of reliability many of which end up switching to a LG OLED as a result.

There are a lot of people having issues with the S95B in terms of reliability many of which end up switching to a LG OLED as a result.
And this is why I'm more than willing to buy an "inferior" product. LG has got their quality control where it needs to be, and their support is fantastic. I want to support a company like that. Samsung makes some cool products, but there is a few areas they still need to work on.

Hi, I was planning to buy a C2 42" to be used as a monitor, but should I wait for the C3 42" model? Does anyone have a clue when these new model is going to be available to buy? LG is already taking preorders...

What kind of reliability issues?
panels bending under heat is the most prevalent issue I've heard of.

Also, RTINGS.com has been doing an extended burn-in test of a bunch of TVs, and the S95B and A95K (both QD-OLED) are showing burn-in... on white. Because WOLED has a white subpixel, it does not suffer from this issue.

Also, RTINGS.com has been doing an extended burn-in test of a bunch of TVs, and the S95B and A95K (both QD-OLED) are showing burn-in... on white. Because WOLED has a white subpixel, it does not suffer from this issue.

RTings has shown that WOLED is more durable than QD OLED but their testing is also pretty extreme. CNN for 16 hours a day, everyday? I'm sure with varied content the QD OLED also won't be having burn in problems. But as a desktop monitor I won't be treating a QD OLED the same abusive way I've been treating my CX that's for sure lol. Definitely going to implement some preventative measures once I get a QD OLED.

For what it's worth, I have no burn-in issues with my S95B after nearly a year of use. I probably have a couple hundred hours in Natural Selection 2 with the same bright static elements and I monitor those areas constantly. Nothing has retained or "burned" as far as I can tell. I do baby the screen and keep my windows on a separate monitor so YMMV.

For what it's worth, I have no burn-in issues with my S95B after nearly a year of use. I probably have a couple hundred hours in Natural Selection 2 with the same bright static elements and I monitor those areas constantly. Nothing has retained or "burned" as far as I can tell. I do baby the screen and keep my windows on a separate monitor so YMMV.
Has it already been a year? Damn…

Most likely real reasons why Samsung QD-OLED has worse burn-in than LG in these tests is because of differences in OLED manufacturing and firmware trickery and much less in W subpixel. LG is in the OLED market for much longer than Samsung and they had more time to mitigate burn-in.

From marketing point of view its better for LG to put out "its W subpixel!" explanation because it immediately suggests WOLED panels will always be less affected by burn-in than QD-OLED panels. If that remains to be true we will see. For now WOLED proved to be more resilient than first generation QD-OLED.

Most likely real reasons why Samsung QD-OLED has worse burn-in than LG in these tests is because of differences in OLED manufacturing and firmware trickery and much less in W subpixel. LG is in the OLED market for much longer than Samsung and they had more time to mitigate burn-in.

From marketing point of view its better for LG to put out "its W subpixel!" explanation because it immediately suggests WOLED panels will always be less affected by burn-in than QD-OLED panels. If that remains to be true we will see. For now WOLED proved to be more resilient than first generation QD-OLED.
LG has focused way more on burn-in mitigation overall. White subpixel, bigger red subpixels, better tuned pixel refresh considering the Sony using LG OLED panel seemed more susceptible to burn in than LG's own TVs.

I think the interesting bit will be burn-in results on the QD-OLED monitors as desktop use would be more in line with what people do on those vs watching the same news feed all day on an OLED TV. I wouldn't expect current QD-OLED TVs to have burn in issues any more than LG OLED TVs if used "normally" - namely watching TV/movies or gaming for several hours a day.

I think the interesting bit will be burn-in results on the QD-OLED monitors as desktop use would be more in line with what people do on those vs watching the same news feed all day on an OLED TV. I wouldn't expect current QD-OLED TVs to have burn in issues any more than LG OLED TVs if used "normally" - namely watching TV/movies or gaming for several hours a day.
Using desktop and watching news all day long is similar enough to draw conclusions for one from testing another.

For monitors, especially ultra-wide it would make sense to use different test pattern than 16:9 CNN feed

Doesn't LG use Pentile too? Absolutely terrible for text clarity on Windows.

No, basically the opposite of pentile by having an extra pixel for every group.

LG OLED panels are generally considered better than Samsung's OLEDs for text, but neither are considered great for text.

LG OLED panels are generally considered better than Samsung's OLEDs for text, but neither are considered great for text.
ClearType doesn't natively support WRGB though, right? So they're only considerably better for Macs.

It's true that neither is great for text, but QD-OLED is better than WOLED. It's closer to RGB.

I think most people disagree with that.

Looking at my AW3423DW and 42" C2, the text quality is significantly better on the QD-OLED. It's actually quite decent surprisingly on the QD-OLED. There's very little fringing which is barely noticeable on black-on-white text, and a bit more noticeable on white-on-black. Text on the OLED suffers from more fringing, and is less sharp. This is on Windows 11 with ClearType. It shouldn't really be a surprise when considering the sub-pixel structure.

With subpixel font rendering disabled (in other words grayscale rendering) text looks fine on WOLED.
In most typical black on white or white on black there is no need to use anything else than W subpixel and its not possible to get color fringing.

Doesn't LG use Pentile too? Absolutely terrible for text clarity on Windows.
Any non-RGB subpixel structure will have issues with default ClearType. Even some monitors/TV's where they put panel upside down which resulted in BGR subpixels have text clarity issues unless you change ClearType to also use BGR.

Pentile was something much different than different subpixel structure as it was designed to reduce overall subpixel count. Pentile layout resulted in strange patterns on some colors and text was less sharp and/or had color fringing but for very different reason. Smartphones never used subpixel font rendering.

Imho Pentile was terrible and its great no one uses it in larger lower PPI displays.

It's true that neither is great for text, but QD-OLED is better than WOLED. It's closer to RGB.
QD-OLED has pixel structure closer to what many CRTs used including most VGA monitors. There those were not "subpixels" but for lots of images visual effect will be similar.

For text it might be better for ClearType but not for grayscale rendering.

Besides for now we have very little choice because so few panel sizes exists. More choice in larger TVs but then again QD-OLED isn't exactly known (yet, if ever) for its burn-in resistance and this alone makes it less than ideal computer monitor.

RTings has shown that WOLED is more durable than QD OLED but their testing is also pretty extreme. CNN for 16 hours a day, everyday? I'm sure with varied content the QD OLED also won't be having burn in problems. But as a desktop monitor I won't be treating a QD OLED the same abusive way I've been treating my CX that's for sure lol. Definitely going to implement some preventative measures once I get a QD OLED.
Wait, what? For months I have been reading that QD OLED is LESS likely to have burn in, that is why the AW3423DW is brighter and comes standard with a three year warranty that covers burn in.

Wait, what? For months I have been reading that QD OLED is LESS likely to have burn in, that is why the AW3423DW is brighter and comes standard with a three year warranty that covers burn in.
Yeah, when I was in the market for an OLED (went LG C2 in the end), the assumption was the QD OLEDs would be more resistant to burn in.

1 Year in and fine so far, despite a lot more WFH with Outlook open then I'm comfortable with. :/

That is why we need actual burn-in tests.
Manufacturer might claim one thing and reality might be different. Some manufacturers can also seemingly use the same panels but suffer more from burn-in and this is important thing for consumers to know, especially when said manufacturer with more burn-in makes more expensive products.

So I guess we will have to wait until 2024 to see brighter oled screen in 48" size and below :( I am still happy with my CX from 2020.

So I guess we will have to wait until 2024 to see brighter oled screen in 48" size and below :( I am still happy with my CX from 2020.

Even 2024 isn't guaranteed. That's because even if LG did implement MLA tech into the 42/48 inch panels, they could still choose to cap the brightness if they wanted to just like they did on the MLA monitors.

I have C2 and my text is razor sharp. Then again I don't have superhuman eyesight. I don't get the people who complain about text clarity on the C2. There are 0 issues on my C2 with text clarity. If your eyes look at the C2 and think it sucks for text...sucks to be you I guess.

Reactions: noko
like this
I have C2 and my text is razor sharp. Then again I don't have superhuman eyesight. I don't get the people who complain about text clarity on the C2. There are 0 issues on my C2 with text clarity. If your eyes look at the C2 and think it sucks for text...sucks to be you I guess.
Take a look at a screen with excellent text such as the 40WP95C or the PG32UQX, and you'll see what people are talking about. If you don't see a big difference, then maybe it's time for that cataract surgery 😵‍💫

I have 20/13 vision and I run my scaling at 125% and 150%. My fonts are sharp as hell in Win 11. I mean like buttery smooth. No jaggies or fringing at all here.

Last edited:
I have 20/13 vision and I run my scaling at 125% and 150%. My fonts are sharp as hell in Win 11. I mean like buttery smooth. No jaggies or fringing at all here.
Others have taken photos and proven there is significant fringing. Just because you sit far back and use scaling, nit noticing it, doesn't mean it's not there :).

Back