Legit unlock services?

project86

Limp Gawd
Any recommendations for an unlock service that isn't a scam these days? The ones I've used in the past are either gone or now questionable (or worse).

I had a Pixel 4 XL that was paid off and sold after upgrading to a Pixel 6. Xfinity claimed they unlocked it for me, which ended up not being correct. Am now in customer service hell with them via phone call and chat, getting nowhere. They keep sending me emails with "Unlock Code: N/A", obviously can't do much with that. Seems like others have had this same experience trying to unlock their fully paid off Xfinity devices, and I don't see any follow up showing a solution.

These days, no. Any unlock service you see is just going to hack the phone at best, which isn't a good solution.

i though that they all had to unlock upon request now, or is that just up here in canuckistan? can you just go to a local store? they might do it on the spot. i havent needed to do it in years as i made sure my last couple phone were universal...

i though that they all had to unlock upon request now, or is that just up here in canuckistan? can you just go to a local store? they might do it on the spot. i havent needed to do it in years as i made sure my last couple phone were universal...
Legally, carriers are supposed to unlock here in the US too, yes.
Practically, it's pretty easy for them to get away with the kind of incompetence OP is describing. After all, Xfinity is "complying" with the request. Just not in a way that is helpful or resolves the situation.

Legally, carriers are supposed to unlock here in the US too, yes.
Practically, it's pretty easy for them to get away with the kind of incompetence OP is describing. After all, Xfinity is "complying" with the request. Just not in a way that is helpful or resolves the situation.
ok. thats why i suggest going to a carrier store. like a dedicated xfinity store or a store that provides multiple carriers. assuming xfinity does retail locations...

Update - after escalating to a supervisor several times, I finally got it done. Had very little confidence it was actually happening, and I did end up receiving several more emails with "unlock code: N/A"... which really doesn't matter as the phone itself offers no option to even input a code. It just says contact Xfinity and brings up their web page.

But the next day I received an email that says they did the unlock on their end. Tested it out and indeed, it works. Why was that so difficult, involving 6+ agents and hours of chats/phone calls? No idea. What ended up making the difference in getting it done? Again, no idea. Hope to never have to experience it again though...

This the kinda of service you can expect from Comcast. I am so glad I switch to FiOS. Comcast is not even comparative with FiOS here.

Well FiOS is for home internet, and not available here regardless. This is for Xfinity Mobile which ends up being a fantastic deal in terms of pricing... as long as you don't need anything fancy for customer service.

Why was that so difficult, involving 6+ agents and hours of chats/phone calls? No idea. What ended up making the difference in getting it done? Again, no idea. Hope to never have to experience it again though...

They didn't want to do it and made it difficult hoping you would give up is my guess.

But why? What do they gain from it? The device has been replaced, I already own it, still a customer... There's no benefit to not doing it. At least by accommodating me, it would stop me from pestering them.

Shrug. Gives you the opportunity to take the device elsewhere and not be locked into them and their services. I would think the ability to choose and do more with your device would make that carrier more appealing but I guess that's why I'm not running a big telco :(

But I'm still locked into them with the new phone, until that is eventually paid off.

That's the thing - this is a previously used phone, and I think it's pretty obvious the unlock is to extract more value when I sell it to someone else. So no relevance to keeping me aboard as a customer.

It's tempting to look for a sinister reason when incompetence is probably the better explanation.

But why? What do they gain from it? The device has been replaced, I already own it, still a customer... There's no benefit to not doing it. At least by accommodating me, it would stop me from pestering them.
You're only pestering the cheap overseas phone help that costs them nothing. Unlocking phones costs them money, as it's an extra job of a single employee of that entire company to handle. So it takes forever to get done, if the request ever even reaches them.

Back