LCD or DLP?

lunchbox

n00b
Short survey here, would you purchase a TV based on DLP or LCD techhnology?

What would be your strongest reasons for or against either choice?

I myself lean towards the DLP.

*trying to research for a friend who's in the market for a ~50" large screen, he's looking at a Sony Grand Wega 50" LCD...

Thanks for your input!

I have friend who has DLP and it looks great, real bright image even in fully lit room, great viewing angles no pixelation. The bulb replacement cost sucks though. I think the blacks are blacker on DLP or is it other way around. All I know is I want a DLP set.

Well, at the moment, you only have two choices for CRT: RP and direct-view. For LCD, you can have RP, direct-view, and front-projection. And for DLP, only RP and projection.

My preference is for direct-view. I've already got a plasma to satisfy my large home theatre direct-view needs, but when my wife and I move in August, I'll be replacing the 24" WEGA in the bedroom with a slightly smaller, widescreen LCD direct-view.

If and when LCD direct-view reaches the 40-50" range (widescreen), and the contrast ratios approach those of plasma (at least 1500:1, preferably over 2000:1), I might consider switching.

But, by then, I think we'll see OLED technology rapidly filling the large, LCD direct-view gap.

One nice advantage rear projection DLP's have over their CRT counter parts is viewing angle. www.extremetech.com has a very nice article about a guy in search of the perfect HD TV. He finally settled on a Samsung DLP rear projection TV.

Head on over to the Rear Projection section of AVS Forums HERE and you will find a wealth of info on the advantages and disadvantages of both LCD and DLP technologies. One thing to also tell your friend is if he is looking at the Samsung DLPs they are releasing newer models sometime in February I've heard with their unveiling at CES next week. The thread HERE directly compares LCD to DLP and in that thread includes more links talking about LCD abd DLP.

Back