LCD care

that article amuses me because everything that is mentioned should be common sense to anyone...

notice the would "should"......

Nice post.

I never knew about LCD burn-in. I've seen people say it shouldn't matter because it's just a light that goes on and off.

I turn off my monitors anyway when not in use, but it's good to know!

It's been a number of years since manufacturers have made even CRT monitors burn-in susceptible. I don't quite see how a LCD monitor could have burn-in given how they work.

Well they do! I have read several articles on this subject after disbelieving it like you are now. To say the least though supposedly they go away after abit of offtime but who really knows if they go away for sure???

repost:

It seems there are a few different opinions on the Internet in regard to LCD burn in. If you follow the first provided link then I am led to believe that LCD's are not very prone to burn in.

http://www.hightechtoys.net/technew...20displays.html (Good PLASMA vs LCD article)

On the contrary I found this link

http://www.bohlken.com/care/carelcd.htm

The information at the second link states burn in is a factor.

My Question is longwinded, If burn in is a factor in a LCD would it not be better to use a solid white screen for a screensaver? From what I have read in the first link, for an LCD to display Black, all the pixels/crystals would have to be powered up, blocking the backlight. So if the screen is white then all pixels/crystal are all in an "off" state. Then they should not burn in or get stuck on. I know the best thing to do is have monitor go to standby turning of the backlight, but are the crystals powered down in standby? Whats best a black screensaver or a white one.
Sorry for the rambling, I just want to extend the life of my LCD as much as possible. Thoughts or opinions anyone?

Do Screensavers stop burn in on an LCD? A lot of screensavers I see have a black background, which is the off state for the electron gun in a CRT. In an LCD a black background means all the pixels are turned on and if they get stuck in that state then you have a dead black spot/pixel. This all based on the fact that an LCD is prone to burn in, in the first place. Thats why I ask the question. An all white screen for a screensaver, or black. Or does it matter at all if lcd's are not prone to burn in.

well, ive never had a burn in on any of my monitors.. they are all on all the time, one of them ive had for 5 years and not a problem..

Im, personally, not worried =P. If i get a burn in its my fault then.. but i dont think ill be getting one any time soon

the best prevention for burn-in if you don't like turning your screen off manually is to use the power settings, not the screensaver, to switch your screen off after 15 minutes or so.

Back