Latest GPU Market Sales Indicate that NVIDIA Indeed Halted RTX 30 Series Production

kac77

2[H]4U

Latest GPU Market Sales Indicate that NVIDIA Indeed Halted RTX 30 Series Production

Earlier this month, it was reported that NVIDIA would be halting (or reducing) the production of its Ampere graphics cards to prevent a sudden price recession in the market. Well, fifteen days have passed since that post was published and it looks like MLID’s sources were on point. NVIDIA’s RTX 30 series cards, most notably the higher-end RTX 3080 and 3090 have pretty much disappeared from most online retailers.

Earlier this month, it was reported that NVIDIA would be halting (or reducing) the production of its Ampere graphics cards to prevent a sudden price recession in the market. Well, fifteen days have passed since that post was published and it looks like MLID’s sources were on point. NVIDIA’s RTX 30 series cards, most notably the higher-end RTX 3080 and 3090 have pretty much disappeared from most online retailers.

I hope this bites them on the ass.

It's just them trying to avoid getting stuck with three quarters of excess GTX 1060?

You know that they always try to hit the right transition point for the next architecture (retailers they got hit with this same shit when Turing was discontinued during the pandemic)

Last edited:
It's just them trying to avoid getting stuck with three quarters of excess pascal

You know that they always try to hit the right transition point for the next architecture
Excess? Are you joking? Demand is at an unprecedented level so much as anything they produce will be purchased. They aren't worried about excess inventory. They're simply calculating the best way to further increase profit.

I’ve received more best buy stock notifications in the last week than I have in the last 2 months prior so not sure how accurate that reporting is personally.

Reactions: DKS
like this
Yeah well, those who wanted to buy overpriced 3xxx cards have already done so. The rest of us won't.

I live in Sweden, and currently, 6900 XTXH which is faster than 3090 is €1000+ cheaper than the cheapest 3090!
And there are tons of 6900 XTXH in stock. 3090 is very hard to find unless it's something weird, like in external case or with a custom watercooler.
3080Ti is about €400-500 more than 6900 XTXH and also in stock pretty much everywhere.
Everything below (3080, 6800 XT and below) is almost non existant.

€1400 for 6900 XTXH is actually a good price.
It's faster than 3090 and 6900 XT. It's too bad the card arrived way too late. There's a refresh coming as well as next gen in a year or so. And next gen is rumored to be some 75-90% faster than the current gen.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Or... Nvidia is simply being hit with component supply issues like every. single. other. manufacturer of electronic-based product around the world. Rumors like this from one person pointing to "trusted sources" are pretty weak.

There's no public company out there today that would say "hey, let's hold back revenue and not make more product even though the demand is there...". Shareholders would eat them alive.

Yeah well, those who wanted to buy overpriced 3xxx cards have already done so. The rest of us won't.

I live in Sweden, and currently, 6900 XTXH which is faster than 3090 is €1000+ cheaper than the cheapest 3090!
And there are tons of 6900 XTXH in stock. 3090 is very hard to find unless it's something weird, like in external case or with a custom watercooler.
3080Ti is about €400-500 more than 6900 XTXH and also in stock pretty much everywhere.
Everything below (3080, 6800 XT and below) is almost non existant.

€1400 for 6900 XTXH is actually a good price.
It's faster than 3090 and 6900 XT. It's too bad the card arrived way too late. There's a refresh coming as well as next gen in a year or so. And next gen is rumored to be some 75-90% faster than the current gen.
1400 Euros is a good price? That's roughly 1600 USD which I guess qualifies as "good" only in the current market. And 75-90% faster for next gen sounds like some classic bs hype.

There so much speculation it's hard to say exactly what is going on. They could be transitioning to a super chip, or taking another avenue all together. In an unprecedented situation, where they sell every single chip they produce in virtually all sectors of business, it's a pretty hard sell to tell shareholder you decided to leave money on the table.

I’ve received more best buy stock notifications in the last week than I have in the last 2 months prior so not sure how accurate that reporting is personally.

This. But once again nobody read the braindead article. I dare anyone to try, it's incoherent. "Taking a look at Newegg, there aren't many 3080s and 3090s. There are some Radeons - they are made by AMD. For some reason Nvidia seems to be pushing 3060 Ti for some reason. Potato!"

It's the same hardwaretimes kid that pretended to know something about 12900K a few days ago and it weirdly made the rounds.

Alas, at some point you realize it takes less energy just to agree with the daily clickbait fishfeed than point out it's absurdity.

Last edited:
Or... Nvidia is simply being hit with component supply issues like every. single. other. manufacturer of electronic-based product around the world. Rumors like this from one person pointing to "trusted sources" are pretty weak.

There's no public company out there today that would say "hey, let's hold back revenue and not make more product even though the demand is there...". Shareholders would eat them alive.
Can you imagine Jensen calling Samsung or TSMC "you know you're printing money so well for us, but maybe we should hit the pause button for a bit - things are a little...too good? Go ahead and give some of our space to someone else that's been waiting patiently".

Neither can I.

Last edited:
Nvidia can just put out the non-LHR as a 'special edition' at a marked-up price and make money hand over first. Don't see why they will stop production and leave money on the table...

Can you imagine Jensen calling Samsung or TSMC "you know you're printing money so well for us, but maybe we should hit the pause button for a bit - things are a little...too good? Go ahead and give some of our space to someone else that's been waiting patiently".

Neither can I.
They actually don't have to cut production. They just stockpile.

They actually don't have to cut production. They just stockpile.
Why would they stockpile if the issue is over-production?
Honestly I don't see them stopping production, maybe certain models only.

1400 Euros is a good price? That's roughly 1600 USD which I guess qualifies as "good" only in the current market. And 75-90% faster for next gen sounds like some classic bs hype.
It's not a "good" price, but it is a good price in the current market. I mean we needed to get some new GPUs for work and the best compromise we could get here in central europe were 1660s for $680. The cheapest bottom of the bracket 3080s are going for $2000 retail in Hungary. But some models go up to $2600.

The thing is, in EU we get +25% tax.
6900XT MSRP is $999 in the US.
In EU, MSRP is $1250. Which always translates into equal amount of euros. So in this case, €1250. Which is about $1450.
And that is the reference board, custom cards cost more.

In EU, MSRP is $1250. Which always translates into equal amount of euros. So in this case, €1250. Which is about $1450.

An AMD branded 6900XT in Europe straight from the AMD webshop is 1029.92 € (not that they are ever is stock). If you want a third party one here in Belgium you are looking at 1.599€ minimum up to 2.099€ (that's for the one shop I checked, they have 6 models in stock)

Was thinking this exact thing. The discord notification bots have been busy. I've had several opportunities to purchase a card at MSRP, or at least the current version of it. They even had founders cards at MSRP.

An AMD branded 6900XT in Europe straight from the AMD webshop is 1029.92 € (not that they are ever is stock). If you want a third party one here in Belgium you are looking at 1.599€ minimum up to 2.099€ (that's for the one shop I checked, they have 6 models in stock)
That sounds about right.

Was thinking this exact thing. The discord notification bots have been busy. I've had several opportunities to purchase a card at MSRP, or at least the current version of it. They even had founders cards at MSRP.
Dude reporting this has basically no credentials - and it's basically his personal blog.

Neither can I.
Nah, but that conversation if it actually took place (and that's a big if) would go more along the lines of:

"hey <FAB>, got anyone willing to pay $$$$$ for our production space? We're willing to sell XX% of our capacity to them and give you a cut. This helps us because we take advantage of the current production shortages AND establishes higher MSRPs as the norm for future products."

Why would they stockpile if the issue is over-production?
Honestly I don't see them stopping production, maybe certain models only.
The article is about keeping inventory low not production.

Nvidia sells chips to board partners not retail cards (outside of the low production ref cards). Hoarding cards or holding inventory makes little sense for the purpose of forcing consumers to pay more as it doesn’t benefit nvidia and doesn’t net them more money as a simple exercise in arithmetic would show.
More likely they are shifting skus or having supply issues or both.

It may just be Nvidia took a preemptive strike against what they thought would be a collapse of the Crypto market. From technical analysis, after each bubble top of BTC, an average of 90% drops occured. With the collapse of BTC so did the rest of the Crypto market follow. This time after the bubble top, 50% decline, China appearing to try to facilitate a further collapse by banning mining, Nvidia may not have want to repeat a gross amount of video cards while millions of mining cards were being sold. Except this time the market did not care about either the China banes nor the previous bubble and just recently (first time for BTC) came back stronger then ever in a very short cycle. Calculated risk Nvidia took maybe, that if true looks to have failed and will give AMD a great opportunity to sell everything they make and good lead in from Intel if they are ready.

2 week in a row it seem.

If it is representative it can give an idea of the cards ratio has well:

Week 44
Radeon Top 4 Selling Brand Line!

1. RX 6600 = 640 units
  2. RX 6600XT = 430units.
  3. RX 6900XT = 155 Units.
  4. RX 6800XT = 10 Units
Nvidia Top 4 Selling Brand Lines!

1. RTX 3070 8GB = 170 Units.
  2. GTX 1030 = 70 Units.
  3. RTX 3060 TI 8GB = 60 Units
  4. RTX 3070 TI 8GB = 50 Units

Week 43

Radeon Top 4 Selling Brand Line!

1. RX 6600 = 745 units
  2. RX 6800XT = 180 units.
  3. RX 6900XT = 35 Units.
  4. RX 6800 = 10 Units

Nvidia Top 4 Selling Brand Lines!

1. RTX 3070 8GB = 400 Units.
  2. RTX 3080 TI 12GB = 95 Units.
  3. GTX 1050 TI = 60 Units
  4. RTX 3070 TI 8GB = 30 Units

The cheapest 6900XT I've seen was in December of last year for $1100 after tax in the U.S. I suppose if you're lucky enough to get one off amd.com you could get one slightly cheaper maybe. But $1400-1600 for a 6900xt has been a good price for the last year almost in the U.S. The cheapest I see in stores now is around $1600 and it's been months I think since I've seen one that cheap. Most models cost more, although you may get lucky and find an open box one for sale at a discount. A 3090 goes for $2100-2600 usually in stores but mines twice as much roughly as a 6900XT so even though the gaming performance difference isn't much I think that helps explain why they command a much higher price still.

It may just be Nvidia took a preemptive strike against what they thought would be a collapse of the Crypto market. From technical analysis, after each bubble top of BTC, an average of 90% drops occured. With the collapse of BTC so did the rest of the Crypto market follow. This time after the bubble top, 50% decline, China appearing to try to facilitate a further collapse by banning mining, Nvidia may not have want to repeat a gross amount of video cards while millions of mining cards were being sold. Except this time the market did not care about either the China banes nor the previous bubble and just recently (first time for BTC) came back stronger then ever in a very short cycle. Calculated risk Nvidia took maybe, that if true looks to have failed and will give AMD a great opportunity to sell everything they make and good lead in from Intel if they are ready.

This is anecdotal I guess, but my local microcenter has consistently had AMD cards on their shelves for about the last 5 months straight. The situation has gradually gotten better overall. At first it was only 6900XTs, then tons of overpriced 6700XTs. Now they generally have 6600XTs and 6600s as well. The only cards where the situation has gotten worse on the AMD side seem to be the 6800s. People finally realized they're good for mining as well and you don't have to deal with the LHR mess. I'm not sure why the 6600s / 6600XTs are staying in stock though. They're generally good prices compared to the 6700xt's microcenter carries, are power efficient at mining, and are good low end cards for gamers as well. I've had more failures with my AMD cards than my nvidia cards, but with manufacturer RMAs I'm not really worried if I get a dud every now and then.

I did notice that the model of Nvidia card that I bought was only released into the market in
Date First AvailableMay 17, 2021

So it's only 5 - 6 months old and bought last week new from Zotec store as a way to look at production vs being sold out .

How long is the lead time between chip fabrication, AIB manufacturing, and cards being available at retail? Each step in the chain probably takes a bit of time, therefore anything purchased today was probably manufactured a few weeks or months ago, from chips that were made several weeks to months prior, no?

How long is the lead time between chip fabrication, AIB manufacturing, and cards being available at retail? Each step in the chain probably takes a bit of time, therefore anything purchased today was probably manufactured a few weeks or months ago, from chips that were made several weeks to months prior, no?

That isn’t relevant. If nvidia wanted to slow the supply they could simply not provide anyone with GPUs Even if they already received a batch from Samsung. They wouldn’t just halt the production because ramping it back up isn’t an instantaneous thing. Beyond that, street prices aren’t reflective of what nvidia gets charged by Samsung or what it charges AIBs, those contracts were negotiated well before any GPUs hit retail shelves. Beyond that #2, I got more BB notifications this week too. Beyond that #3, it doesn’t take months for a finished GPU to leave Samsung fab and make it into a GPU. That would be a horrifically inefficient supply chain and would make JIT manufacturing virtually impossible.

Back