Large cases for top-mounted 360 AIOs?

pavel

Gawd
Hello,
I couldn't find anyone with this exact topic. I am having a hard time deciding on a case because of budget restraints and if I buy an 'expensive' case - it will eat into the cost of other parts?

I hope to get a 12700/K (still haven't decided on which version although I would like the unlocked cpu) and Z690 (B660, maybe? Should go B660 if I get the locked cpu???). I have in mind, the larger case in anticipation (and hope) of further/future upgrades - gpu, for e.g. I recently purchased an EVGA RTX 3060 XC, which is small, and fits in most ATX cases.

I tell myself that the case can be used for future upgrades and will last several years - I have only had crappy cases (Antec) in the past - that aren't even painted inside. So, this will be the best case I've had regardless of what I choose.

I also thought of just getting a cheap ATX case (e.g. Corsair 4000D Airflow) and buy a larger one later. I hope/want to put a top mounted 360 AIO eventually. I'll start off with air cooling since I can get a free tower air cooler.

I am just curious what the best case is for top mounting 360 AIOs. The Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 AIO is probably the cheapest in my country - well, cheapest meaning good performance and low noise. I want good performance but I don't want to hear it either. Gamers Nexus and a number of reviewers have shown this cooler performs well and is really quiet for liquid cooler. The problem is it's so wide and big that it doesn't quite fit well in some large cases. IIRC, it has a weird fit in the Corsair 5000D Airflow? I would like to choose it but the design of the Arctic limits options or at least, configuration options.

Anyway, here are cases that I thought were compatible - (note: I am not looking at cases that cost as much as the Fractal Torrent and Meshify 2 XL although either would be intriguing and perfectly fine (although, the design of the Torrent is strange, imho).

Fractal Design Mestify 2
Corsair 5000D Airflow*
Phanteks P500A**
Phanteks P600S
Be Quiet Silent Base 802***

[Prices here: P500A < Corsair 5000D Airflow < Meshify 2 < Phanteks 600S]

*Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 apparently fits but fans must be placed 'above rad' and on top of the case mounting section????
**has 'incompatible' fit with the Arctic LF II 360 - mounting doesn't quite line up - claims of being limited to using only 4 - 6 screws
***looks really good - suspect it's availability is limited and probably expensive (too expensive) - but listed here because that is speculation

One alternative is to pick one of the cheaper cases (P500A or Corsair 5000D) and get a different AIO?

Lian Li Galahad 360
EK Basic 360 (expensive)
Deepcool EX360 (okay but not my top choice - maybe if the others aren't available)
Corsair H150i Elite Cappelix (semi-expensive, kind of loud if fans aren't at low rmp - can you change the fans to Arctic Cooling P12 RGBs or something?)

I think the Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer 360 pump is probably the quietest in this list or some of the others comparable?

I am also looking for any of the above cases used - or someone who decided they want to build smaller, matx or itx - but, they didn't return the case so they're selling it.

I actually found two but they too far from me. 'Figures

Sorry, this is so long. I am all over the place with ideas so I need advice. :-/

Hello, I see no replies yet. :)
If anyone replies, it's now between the P600S and Meshify 2. They're within $10 of each other.

If I have to go cheaper, I'll just pick up a 4000D Airflow and use my air cooler. The 4000D Airflow keeps changing prices though so I will wait until it goes down $30 if I decide on that one. Not buying it at the current price.

The Meshify 2 gets my vote - but only because I'm biased as I'm already using one. The P600S looks very similar in its design, so I'm thinking it'll come down to your own preference on the aesthetic (or sale price).

Not sure I'd go the 4000D Airflow route - sure it's cheaper than the 5000D, but the 5000D also regularly goes on sale too. And even if you decide to go aircooling, at least the 5000D will give you that option to go 360mm up top further down the road if your mind changes.

Actually when I went through the same decision to replace my PC-011, it came down to the Meshify 2 and Corsair 5000D Airflow. And it was ultimately a sale on the Meshify 2 that had me go in that direction.

I have the Meshify 2 in my secondary and it is a decent small case. The Meshify does have some strange design choices when it comes to radiator comparability which makes anything running a custom loop a bit more difficult than it should, not sure if they will apply to you though. My 130mm wide rad (360 for custom loop) wouldn't fit at the top unless I mounted the fans between the case and the rad as there was always something in the way. My guess is you run into issues once you go above 125mm or so in width. The case is nice to build in and the removable top tray makes it easy to work on stuff towards the top of the motherboard where it usually becomes cramped in small cases.

Don't think you will go wrong with either case though so it comes down to looks and what you want to put inside it. Checking out the manual is often a good way to see if what you want to do is realistic in a given case.

Arctic makes good performing AIOs and in price performance ratio they are excellent.

Consider going 280mm instead. Way better compatibility, is about 90% of the performance, and runs quieter.

The Meshify 2 gets my vote - but only because I'm biased as I'm already using one. The P600S looks very similar in its design, so I'm thinking it'll come down to your own preference on the aesthetic (or sale price).

Not sure I'd go the 4000D Airflow route - sure it's cheaper than the 5000D, but the 5000D also regularly goes on sale too. And even if you decide to go aircooling, at least the 5000D will give you that option to go 360mm up top further down the road if your mind changes.

Actually when I went through the same decision to replace my PC-011, it came down to the Meshify 2 and Corsair 5000D Airflow. And it was ultimately a sale on the Meshify 2 that had me go in that direction.
Wow, lots of replies all of a sudden! Nice! I looked at the 4000D Airflow in person. Looked really small to me. I was really surprised. I guess I would see itx cases as tiny! The 4000D looked nice enough but my AIO options would be way more limited. I am getting a free air cooler from my bro who decided not to wait for his Dark Pro 1700 bracket to arrive. 'Got the Noctua NH-D15S Chromax Black(?) - I forget the name? - instead, which includes the 1700 bracket. I prefer going liquid cooling - I like the layout better and AIOs are catching up to air coolers in performance and noise. I know the pump can fail and I kinda wanted to use the DR Pro4 as a backup - but, budget restraints.... especially if I get the i7 cpu and one of these cases instead of the 4000D.

I'd rather not get the smaller case - then if I decide to switch, that's another purchase (more $) - and then I have this case I'm not using - I think the Meshify 2 or P600S can be used for more upgrades with other parts - most likely to be a gpu upgrade and the CLC AIO I want. So, I totally agree with your reasoning. That's why I am looking at used cpus and asking questions about open box motherboards.

I prefer the 5000D for sure - it's about $25 lower than these two other cases - that is, if it is still on sale. Also, only the white case is cheaper which is fine with me.

I think the Arctic 360 can fit up top in the 5000D - but, I read that the fans can't go under the rad? They have to go on the upper apart of the case - where the mesh/filter is or something? I probably don't fully understand and I can't find any pics of that area. But, I did find a pic of the rad part - there's no fans there on the bottom. I think this only applies to the Arctic 360? I dunno about other brands/models.

I have the Meshify 2 in my secondary and it is a decent small case. The Meshify does have some strange design choices when it comes to radiator comparability which makes anything running a custom loop a bit more difficult than it should, not sure if they will apply to you though. My 130mm wide rad (360 for custom loop) wouldn't fit at the top unless I mounted the fans between the case and the rad as there was always something in the way. My guess is you run into issues once you go above 125mm or so in width. The case is nice to build in and the removable top tray makes it easy to work on stuff towards the top of the motherboard where it usually becomes cramped in small cases.

Don't think you will go wrong with either case though so it comes down to looks and what you want to put inside it. Checking out the manual is often a good way to see if what you want to do is realistic in a given case.

Arctic makes good performing AIOs and in price performance ratio they are excellent.
My first choice for CLC AIO is the Arctic ones. RGB or non-RGB - I would probably try to find the normal one since it's cheaper - and I think the RGB one has different fans - I dunno if they are as good. I did read comments about it but I don't recall. I am pretty sure either of the Arctic 360 models would fit in the top and that would be the plan. I also like the Galahad 360 and it might be around the same price - the black one with RGB - but, I believe the Lian Li Galahad models are often sold out. I like the idea of the Meshify 2 making it easier to work at the top of the motherboard. I think the smaller cases like the 4000D and Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh is the opposite - it looks cramped in that area.

Consider going 280mm instead. Way better compatibility, is about 90% of the performance, and runs quieter.
Quieter, really? I thought 280 AIOs had their own issues as they are thicker (using 140mm fans)? No? I am confused again, in that case (pun maybe intended?).

Those CLCs use identical pumps and only differ in the rad size (and the rad is same 38mm thickness), so there's no inherent problem with the 280 model that wouldnt be present on the 120-based models, apart from fan performance/acoustics. With all other things being similar or equal (bearing type, blade count & geometry), a larger fan is always going to have a lower pitched noise at the same rpm range.

Those CLCs use identical pumps and only differ in the rad size (and the rad is same 38mm thickness), so there's no inherent problem with the 280 model that wouldnt be present on the 120-based models, apart from fan performance/acoustics. With all other things being similar or equal (bearing type, blade count & geometry), a larger fan is always going to have a lower pitched noise at the same rpm range.
The larger fans generally give worse static pressure, which is an important thing when you are trying to push air through a radiator. You also have to worry more about motherboard comparability and case choice as a lot of mid towers only have a few centimeters clearance to the top of the case and even an AIO needs around 6cm or so clearance height wise.

The larger fans generally give worse static pressure, which is an important thing when you are trying to push air through a radiator. You also have to worry more about motherboard comparability and case choice as a lot of mid towers only have a few centimeters clearance to the top of the case and even an AIO needs around 6cm or so clearance height wise.

Another consideration is that a lot cases that are supposed to support 140mm fan mounting also have mounting tabs for 120mm which will block a lot of a 140mm fan and create restriction, turbulence, and noise. Unless you don't mind modding a brand new case, that's another thing to check before choosing a case to go with a 280 or 420.

I use a 360mm AIO on my Define R6. I believe the Define 7 series is largely the same, they didn't really change that much. The case is fairly quiet with the front door closed, but I tend to leave it open for the increase intake flow on the front. If buying one of these it's worth getting another 140mm fan to intake from the bottom front of the case, for a total of 3 140mm intakes.

As noted above, 280/420mm is technically possible on this case, but I wouldn't recommend it. The only real location you could mount the wider radiator is up front. Up top the clearance would be pretty horrific with the wider radiator.

It's a shame that it's so difficult to find a big case with lots of room up top. My old Corsair 800D not only has enough room up top for my 360mm AIO, but also enough space for me to run 6 fans in push-pull (fans on both sides of the radiator) which obviously increases it's width. Even then, there is good clearance between the bottom fans and the motherboard. Push-pull also helps to alleviate any static-pressure concerns, regardless of fan size.

P500d will fit a 360 or 280 up top with rad up to 40mm thick and 1 set of fans. I had lf2 280 mounted up top and it will do the 360 model fine if no front rad

I use a 360mm AIO on my Define R6. I believe the Define 7 series is largely the same, they didn't really change that much. The case is fairly quiet with the front door closed, but I tend to leave it open for the increase intake flow on the front. If buying one of these it's worth getting another 140mm fan to intake from the bottom front of the case, for a total of 3 140mm intakes.

As noted above, 280/420mm is technically possible on this case, but I wouldn't recommend it. The only real location you could mount the wider radiator is up front. Up top the clearance would be pretty horrific with the wider radiator.
Define 7 is essentially the same case as the meshify 2, with different panels. It is quiet at idle, but you need to spin up the fans quite a bit more in that case than in a meshify 2 under load. It will be noisier under load if you have an open top panel due to having radiator top mounted as you are running the fans harder for the same temps and you lose out on the noise dampening up top. Personally I would only use the define 7 for a low noise low load build that mostly sits close to idle, but not for a gaming rig.

I have and/or have had several Corsair cases including the 4000X and 5000D. Both are great, the 5000 can fit dual triple rads with a squeeze I believe while the 4000 can only do a triple in the front, and up to a 280mm on top. The top grate mounts for 120mm don't really interfere with 140mm fans on this design as JSHamlet234 mentioned as a possibility in post #9. I love them both, I haven't experienced most of those other cases listed.

Look into the performance of 280s, you'll see they are comparable give or take to 360s depending on manufacturers and all. I have the Corsair H150i Elite Cappelix (and some others from Corsair), and have had the Deepcool in a 240mm which is honestly just another Asetek cooler. If you go with an Asetek, just get the cheapest one you can find that you like the looks of and has decent reviews. Most of them are identical except the fans and maybe RGB support. There were some sales threads recently about Cooler Masters' Asetek coolers like the ML280 Mirror which is still $93, the block looks neat, and you can dump the fans for something else if you want arhh gee beez: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08G8XD3Q7/ they have other models, but they get more expensive to where you could get the corsair AIO instead.

EVGA also got high marks but don't look as pretty, but with modern/recent CPU generations the temperature differences are so minimal to the overclocking gains/limits anyway. 5ºC difference at full load doesn't really matter much for average daily-stable overclocks, not like it used to in prior generations. Cooler is always better, but only if it makes sense financially and aesthetically. I generally recommend you get something that does well for a decent price, while looking nice IF you'll see it. My PC is on my desk so I want it to look nice, if it was under my desk I wouldn't care so much.

Attachments

• 4000 top.jpg
    4000 top.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 0
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have and/or have had several Corsair cases including the 4000X and 5000D. Both are great, the 5000 can fit dual triple rads with a squeeze I believe while the 4000 can only do a triple in the front, and up to a 280mm on top. The top grate mounts for 120mm don't really interfere with 140mm fans on this design as JSHamlet234 mentioned as a possibility in post #9. I love them both, I haven't experienced most of those other cases listed.

Look into the performance of 280s, you'll see they are comparable give or take to 360s depending on manufacturers and all. I have the Corsair H150i Elite Cappelix (and some others from Corsair), and have had the Deepcool in a 240mm which is honestly just another Asetek cooler. If you go with an Asetek, just get the cheapest one you can find that you like the looks of and has decent reviews. Most of them are identical except the fans and maybe RGB support. There were some sales threads recently about Cooler Masters' Asetek coolers like the ML280 Mirror which is still $93, the block looks neat, and you can dump the fans for something else if you want arhh gee beez: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08G8XD3Q7/ they have other models, but they get more expensive to where you could get the corsair AIO instead.

EVGA also got high marks but don't look as pretty, but with modern/recent CPU generations the temperature differences are so minimal to the overclocking gains/limits anyway. 5ºC difference at full load doesn't really matter much for average daily-stable overclocks, not like it used to in prior generations. Cooler is always better, but only if it makes sense financially and aesthetically. I generally recommend you get something that does well for a decent price, while looking nice IF you'll see it. My PC is on my desk so I want it to look nice, if it was under my desk I wouldn't care so much.
I was planning on getting the Corsair 4000D Airflow until I saw it in person. It's still a good case and I like it, don't get me wrong - but, I thought it was really small. It is my impression when I look at the cases I listed - that most if not all - the top is geared towards either 2 140mm fans or 3 120mm fans - or a 360 rad. It looks like it fits the best - as least with the Phanteks P600S and maybe the Meshify too - yes, I think so. They even mention limitations if you try to fit a 420 up top. The 280 rads - are thicker, I believe - so the 140mm/140mm - aka 280 rad fitting up top can interfere with motherboard shrouds and maybe tall RAM sticks. I just purchased low profile RAM - JUST IN CASE I go with an AIO one of these days.

Personally, I like what I have read about the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 and Lian Li Galahad - also, the EK and Be Quiet CLCs/AIOs look good, too, albeit more expensive than the previous two. The Corsair ones look good, too - but, I dunno about the proprietary RGB stuff - I haven't used one so I guess I can't say, really.

I sure agree with the price advice - I know what I like but the facts are - I am getting to the limits of my budget - maybe I shouldn't have bought my cpu and RAM - I dunno. I am getting a free air cooler so I thought of using that - and later getting an AIO. I just prefer how they look and they are pretty good at cooling. As long as the pump is not too noisy and the fans are quiet enough ( I will put in P12s or P14s, if I have to) - then I will be satisfied.

I read that some of the AIOs that fit in the Corsair - the bottom fans can't be used (meaning no push/pull?) or maybe it's just the Arctic cooler? I do like the look of the Corsair 5000D - I could probably get it $25 cheaper than the other 2 cases - it sometimes goes on sale. But, it's hard to beat the other two - but the price is steep. For me, at least.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'll have to check on push pull spacing on my 5000, i didn't bother, performance gains weren't worth the cost of the fans to me. Corsair iCue is great for RGB but if your ram isn't theirs it might not be worth pursuing. Depending on your mobo, a lot of the rgb software isn't as polished.

The 4000 is smaller, I don't recall having any problems doing a rad on top with fans - a corsair aio. I am about to install an alder lake rig into it so I'll check then. I remember it getting close, but I don't recall it overlapping the board.

I'll have to check on push pull spacing on my 5000, i didn't bother, performance gains weren't worth the cost of the fans to me. Corsair iCue is great for RGB but if your ram isn't theirs it might not be worth pursuing. Depending on your mobo, a lot of the rgb software isn't as polished.

The 4000 is smaller, I don't recall having any problems doing a rad on top with fans - a corsair aio. I am about to install an alder lake rig into it so I'll check then. I remember it getting close, but I don't recall it overlapping the board.
Yes, that's a good point. Maybe I shouldn't worry about it. I guess I wanted the full extent of options. My RAM isn't Corsair - I was open to it as I have had it before. Not the RGB version, though. I was trying to get LP RAM - but, the cheapest RAM that had decent reviews, a satisfactory chip in them and preferably on the QVL of the motherboard I would buy (or was considering buying). But, being on the list was a 'preferred' aspect, not a deal breaker. The RAM I ultimately went on 'sale' (I guess you can call it that) and it checks all the boxes. I think it's some die of Micron.

Depending on the case then, I would recommend their fans maybe so your rgb controller can match them up.

One rgb fan model to another even in the same company will likely look different than the other, I've only had good luck with mixing corsair rgb products. I just had a cooler master case with 2 rgb fans and added their aio with more rgb fans for instance, the different fans varied in brightness between the case and aio, and the hue was slightly off. Wouldn't probably be a problem if I didn't have 3 front fans that were mixed now.

I have nothing bad to say about the Corsair 5000D, using it at this moment with their H170i 420mm top mounted, plenty of space. Made everything a breeze. Had the smaller brother 750D before that with an H115i top mounted and bought the bigger case looking for something to fit a 420mm top mount.

Hi. I think it's okay to bump my own thread?
Updated: I bought a P500A a while ago - last Spring - and I am looking at buying an Arctic AIO - either the argb 280 or 360 - it's the same price right now. I currently have 140mm fans in my case. I was going to go with the 280 - since it was cheaper but now they're both the same price. I also thought - might as well keep the 140mm fan throughout the system - but, it doesn't really matter?
Is there any reason to go with the 360? I dunno know how long the same is good for.

Not a big difference between a 280 and a 360, so go with whichever you prefer.

The square surface area of the 360 is slightly larger, but there is less restriction in the shorter, wider 280. A lot of 280s actually cool slightly better, but it's marginal. The 360 would get you more airflow if you even needed it, and 140mm fans are generally lower rpm for less noise if you care about sound.

Hi. I think it's okay to bump my own thread?
Updated: I bought a P500A a while ago - last Spring - and I am looking at buying an Arctic AIO - either the argb 280 or 360 - it's the same price right now. I currently have 140mm fans in my case. I was going to go with the 280 - since it was cheaper but now they're both the same price. I also thought - might as well keep the 140mm fan throughout the system - but, it doesn't really matter?
Is there any reason to go with the 360? I dunno know how long the same is good for.
280 is very close to 360 in performance(90%+), it will only be a few degrees warmer. in your op you were worried about the 360 only having 4-6 screw holes accessible in your case, thats plenty. so its your call.

280 is very close to 360 in performance(90%+), it will only be a few degrees warmer. in your op you were worried about the 360 only having 4-6 screw holes accessible in your case, thats plenty. so its your call.
I forgot about this - but now revisiting it. I plan to buy a cooler VERY SOON. The 360 AIO is about $20 more.

One update: I like the case I bought - P500A but I regret that I got a black one. :) It was on sale - $60 off - so, I thought that was good. But, I really want(ed) a white one. Is it dumb to get a white one when the case you have is perfectly fine? :) The lighting in my place is poor and any time I have to work on my case, it's a bit annoying and a hassle. I just like white cases in general and I wanted one but I was still completing my build and almost at the limit then.
I have found a white case used (but, in good condition) but I dunno whether to pull the trigger and then I have an unused case that has no problem. I should use the $$ for other parts?

With all that said, I was waiting for these AIO coolers to go down in price but they haven't. I guess I will take the weekend to decide on the 360 or 280. I prefer the AIO although the air cooler is perfectly fine. At least, I didn't buy the air cooler - it was a gift (Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4). I will keep it as a backup just in case (for the AIO).

Edit: Oh, before I forget - I just wanted to thank everyone from replying before and hopefully, it's okay to update this thread. Hopefully..... :-/

your call on the case swap, its your money and some around here change cases like undies....

Back