laptop motherboard 3d rendering?

Epyon

[H]ard|Gawd
I am toying with the idea of buying a core i7 motherboard/processor for about $850 and building a very thin plexiglass case for it. I do not know if I could then plug a keyboard and a hdmi from that to my macbook pro to start a rendering que in key shot then un plug the keyboard and just let it render for 28 days at a time. I was trying to go thin and light but laptops are so cheap and the new ones are super thin it might just be better to buy one of those and sell my macbook pro.

Not sure how long a laptop will last going full speed 100% for month at a time.

Look into Dell Precision, Thinkpad P series, or HP ZBook models. Those are probably as close to running 24/7 as a laptop gets. They're neither thin nor light, however.

If you're looking for something efficient and small, why not look into things like the Intel NUC or Gigabyte Brix style systems? The company I work for has hundreds of those in a shop environment. Hot, dusty, etc. If they can stand up to that, I'm sure they can handle a nice cool rendering farm.

I'm looking at replacing my 7th gen i3 NUC with one of these as my VMware homelab.

Back