Laptop Mining Rig

Hello Fellow Cryptonians,

I'm completely new and green to cryptocurrency. I have a brand new unopened laptop. I don't want to buy a PC to mine cryptocurrency. Can anyone help me build a mining rig for my laptop? I'm not asking for help for free. I hope you all are enjoying your Easter Sunday.

Well. You probably can't. You might be able to find a cpu coin to mine, but even that's going to be sketchy with most laptop cpus. If you have some sort of awesome 2080 RTX mobile gpu you might be able to do some GPU mining, but you'll overheat the thing and burn it out.

Well. You probably can't. You might be able to find a cpu coin to mine, but even that's going to be sketchy with most laptop cpus. If you have some sort of awesome 2080 RTX mobile gpu you might be able to do some GPU mining, but you'll overheat the thing and burn it out.

Would a fan help so the GPU miner doesn't burn out or over heat? I'm not tech savvy, so forgive me if my question sounds silly. Also, I care very little about making money. I care more about the safety of my laptop.

Would a fan help so the GPU miner doesn't burn out or over heat? I'm not tech savvy, so forgive me if my question sounds silly. Also, I care very little about making money. I care more about the safety of my laptop.

A little, but it won't be worth it, you'll probably spend more in power than you'll make. Alt coin mining has been so slow that my rigs have been shut down for the past 3 months.

A little, but it won't be worth it, you'll probably spend more in power than you'll make. Alt coin mining has been so slow that my rigs have been shut down for the past 3 months.

I don't pay electrical bills so I'm good in that department. I'm more concerned about my laptop. If my laptop is fine, I don't care about the money for now. I want to learn. I'll probably get a PC in the near future. Is there a Graphic Card I can use for my laptop? Where should I look?

Welcome to [H] there sksnuggs5783

This article should give you a good start on what i think you're looking to accomplish.

TLDR: external dock (plenty of choices) + reg desktop GPU. Even if you're looking to start out as learning, i'd go no lower than a Nvidia 1070/1660 class card.

Welcome to [H] there sksnuggs5783

This article should give you a good start on what i think you're looking to accomplish.

TLDR: external dock (plenty of choices) + reg desktop GPU. Even if you're looking to start out as learning, i'd go no lower than a Nvidia 1070/1660 class card.

I want to thank you for the article. However, I'm still very confused about all this. I'm not sure what to buy. Is there another article I can read? I'm not tech savvy. I'm sorry if I'm asking for further help. Is it possible that I can get you to make me a build list? I don't mind to pay you for your work. I just don't want to buy the wrong supplies.

Don't bother. There is no return on investing into a laptop for mining.
this...it would cost 2 to 3x the money (if not more) and is why its not done. What was your reason for doing this with a laptop, versus building a custom mining setup?

What I read is you want to use your laptop for crypto mining with little need to make money off it. The only reason why I could see you doing this is to learn about how it is done. Otherwise not sure why you want to continue to pursue, buying computer parts or a ASIC miner just to mine sounds like a waste especially when ROI is VERY low. Everyone has done a good job answering your questions, it seems to be more of whether or not you really want to do this. If you want to do it, just setup the software on your laptop and mine cpu/gpu. If you don't want to do that then don't do it. As stated above the laptop would be one of the most ineffective ways to do it and you are late to the cryptomining game. At this point, if you are going to do it, just start doing it, if not you can put it to rest and pick it up at a different time.

What I read is you want to use your laptop for crypto mining with little need to make money off it. The only reason why I could see you doing this is to learn about how it is done. Otherwise not sure why you want to continue to pursue, buying computer parts or a ASIC miner just to mine sounds like a waste especially when ROI is VERY low. Everyone has done a good job answering your questions, it seems to be more of whether or not you really want to do this. If you want to do it, just setup the software on your laptop and mine cpu/gpu. If you don't want to do that then don't do it. As stated above the laptop would be one of the most ineffective ways to do it and you are late to the cryptomining game. At this point, if you are going to do it, just start doing it, if not you can put it to rest and pick it up at a different time.

I don't want to read too much into your message. However, I feel there is an unnecessary tone in your help. I'm not tech savvy. I'm not doing this for money. Again, I just want to learn. I don't want to make sure I don't buy the wrong parts or damage my laptop. It seems money is more a concern when I was clear about getting the most use out of my laptop. Thank you for your help.

All these profit and money posts miss the point. A laptop on its best day couldn’t handle the thermal capacity and would almost surely suffer a hot quick death.

Reactions: Parja
like this
I don't want to read too much into your message. However, I feel there is an unnecessary tone in your help. I'm not tech savvy. I'm not doing this for money. Again, I just want to learn. I don't want to make sure I don't buy the wrong parts or damage my laptop. It seems money is more a concern when I was clear about getting the most use out of my laptop. Thank you for your help.
My tone is basically this. If you want to learn do it, you don't have to mine 24/7, mine for a little bit to understand the concept. You won't burn a laptop if you limit cpu speed or do it short tern. 99% of what you will learn is the setup, the rest just does it's thing. This is where I say if you want to do it, just do it.

You won't kill a laptop if you are not looking to make money or just set it up. I have mined on laptops, computers and servers to understand CPU vs GPU and found a laptop does not have what it takes to mine effectively and a dual/quad cpu server eats up too much power.
I would figure out what coin you want to mine and set up and go. Run in moderation and move on.

Back