Laptop for daughter/college...Lenovo Legion 15" RTX3060 vs ASUS ROG 16" RTX3060 and others..

Headbust

[H]ard|Gawd
Looking at some laptops for my daughter for college. She likes to game but its not a top priority at all. I found the Surface Laptop 4's are actually perfect all around but they are absolutely garbage for anything but Minecraft or similar so I guess they are out. I did get her a 2020 Dell XPS 15" 1920x1200 a few months ago but returned it because she said the screen was blurry and the webcam was worse than her laptop from 2015. I think she thought the screen was blurry because it was a matte version compared to the glass / gloss version she has been using for years.

Anyway.. Ideally looking for something with a RTX3050 or RTX3060 and not too thick. Better battery life is always good but I understand its not going to be stellar on any of these.

I've narrowed it down to the following in no particular order. Although I did just see the ASUS ROG listed below and almost ordered it but decided to ask for input comparing all options first. I may just order two laptops and return the one she doesn't like.

1. Lenovo Legion 15" RTX3060

* **Screen SizeSpecifications Info info**15.6 inches
* **Screen ResolutionSpecifications Info info**1920 x 1080 (Full HD)
* **Touch ScreenSpecifications Info info**No
* **Processor ModelSpecifications Info info**AMD Ryzen 7 5000 Series
* **Processor Model Number**Ryzen 7 5800H
* **Processor Speed (Base)Specifications Info info**3.2 gigahertz
* **Storage Type**SSD
* **Total Storage Capacity**512 gigabytes
* **Solid State Drive CapacitySpecifications Info info**512 gigabytes
* **System Memory (RAM)Specifications Info info**16 gigabytes
* **GraphicsSpecifications Info info**NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

2. ASUS - ROG 16" WUXGA 144Hz

* **Screen SizeSpecifications Info info**16 inches
* **Screen ResolutionSpecifications Info info**1920 x 1200 (WUXGA)
* **Processor ModelSpecifications Info info**Intel 11th Generation Core i7
* **Processor Model Number**i7-11800H
* **Storage Type**SSD
* **GraphicsSpecifications Info info**NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti

3. GIGABYTE - 15.6" 4K OLED Creator Laptop

* **Screen SizeSpecifications Info info**15.6 inches
* **Screen ResolutionSpecifications Info info**3840 x 2160 (4K)
* **Processor Model Number**11800H
* **Storage Type**SSD
* **Total Storage Capacity**1024 gigabytes
* **Solid State Drive CapacitySpecifications Info info**1024 gigabytes

​

4. HP OMEN - 16.1" Laptop - Intel Core i7 (Ryzen 7 with 6600M is same price roughly)

* **Screen SizeSpecifications Info info**16.1 inches
* **Screen ResolutionSpecifications Info info**1920 x 1080 (Full HD)
* **Processor Model Number**11th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-11800H
* **Storage Type**SSD

Last edited:
Her current laptop that she has had for 6 years is a Lenovo. So I have no issue with them as its still going strong.
My daughter is on a 6-year old Lenovo as well. It's been great - the only things I finally had to replace this year were the battery and the optical drive. I plan on getting her some variant of the Legion for her birthday in a few months.

Just ordered the Gigabyte OLED RTX3060 and Lenovo 7 RTX3060. Will let her decide which one to keep. Maybe I will keep one as a backup for work.

Just ordered the Gigabyte OLED RTX3060 and Lenovo 7 RTX3060. Will let her decide which one to keep. Maybe I will keep one as a backup for work.
Good for your little girl that her daddy is a PC gamer! My dad's gaming acumen topped out with Super Pong. :ROFLMAO:

One thing I will mention is with my wifes Legion 5 watch the configs. Some have a 4 cell+2.5inch SATA or 8 cell and no extra slot. Other than that I really like there legion line. It would be my pick for sure. Asus spec wise is better but you need to factor in warranty and onsite service to fix things. So in my mind its down to Lenovo or HP and Lenovo is the better laptop.

that gigabyte is a steal right now 1299. 4k, 3060, OLED.. can't beat the 1299 price tag.

I wouldn't buy either of those if they plan to use it as a laptop. Carry with her to classes, etc. She would need an ultrabook, but with that you have to give up gaming power. Personally I'd be more into college than gaming and buy something that is easy to carry anywhere.

I agree with NIZMOZ. Those are pretty large device to lug around. I say that as someone that lugs around a HP 17” Z workstation laptop for work, and own a 14” ROG Zephyrus. I would strongly suggest you take a hard look at the Zephyrus, it is probably among the best blend of power and form factor out there. Plenty of power for gaming, nice thin formfactor, and excellent battery life. Will not beat the bigger boys for absolute performance, but you did say that is not really what she is after.

My 5th grader will need a Windows (or Mac no Chromebook) laptop for school. He’s big into gaming. My plan is to get him a refurb 14” Dell latitude with T3, and he can plug it into my Amp Box external GPU when at home to game. So $450 laptop + $750 Amp Box. I think gaming laptops are too heavy and expensive for kids to be carrying to class every day.

Otherwise a 14” gaming laptop would be a choice but you’re paying a lot for a smaller screen and less weight.

Also if gaming is a low priority get a 3050 or 3050 Ti, a 3060 is overkill.

2020 laptops on sale are a good choice also. Nothing wrong with a 2060 or even a 1660 Ti which is faster than a 3050 Ti. Razer 2020s are a little more reasonable in price.

If you need something more balanced, I'd suggest the Legion 5 Pro over the 7, if you want slimmer I heard the Slim 7 has some decent gaming reviews.

Back