Kickstarter: Project GODUS, a God game from Peter Molyneux

Viper87227

Fully [H]
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/22cans/project-godus

This has the potential to be fantastic. Peter Molyneux may be the master of unfulfilled promises, but he also pretty much defined God games with Populous and Black and White. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt... I really want to believe he knows what he is doing here.

Gamespy did an article about it also: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/godus/1226728p1.html

It seems like at least once a month these days, another big-name developer turns to Kickstarter to raise funds to revive a fan-favorite game that the big publishers can't be bothered to take a chance on. This time it's Peter Molyneux and his new studio 22cans making noise about wanting to "go back to the glory days of Bullfrog" and focus on gameplay with Project GODUS, which he's promising as an "innovative reinvention of Populous" for PC and mobile devices. He's also chosen one of the worst possible times to ask for money: a Steam sale day.

Peter Molyneux has spent years disappointing me with his Fable "hype". I don't buy a single word that comes out of his mouth so..

I think I'll pass on this one.

I loved Populous (especially The Beginning), but there really aren't enough details here. The release platforms being PC and phones also raises a red flag.

Sounds like it could be good, thing is I have a problem with someone like Peter Molyneux asking for money. He must have made a ton from his career (built on broken promises but that's by the by) and could fund it from his own pocket without any drama's.

I loved Populous (especially The Beginning), but there really aren't enough details here. The release platforms being PC and phones also raises a red flag.

This too has me greatly worried.

Seems like PC gamer's don't get enough shit with console ports...seems like we now have to get iOS/Android ports as well as I doubt two games will be individually developed for each platform.

Well, there goes this game!

Edit: Yep! Watching the video on Kickstarter this is definitely being aimed at becoming a iOS game first everything else second. Which means shit graphics, shit physics, shit everything...sigh...

Gahhhh.....

Phone game raises a HUGE red flag for me.

Played the hell out of Populous back in the day.. Things went downhill after that.

Will watch this one for now.

B&W series is one of my favorite, and im dying a return to the god genre ... As with everyone, mobile plataform rises a huge red flag... I dont want a flash type iOS god sim

Seems also the art style is going for cartoony, and im fine with that for certain games... But a god sim should look serious for me

Also the development time suggest a rushed smartphone game with a PC port

he's not promising enough "you can carve your name on the side of a mountain with lightning" stuff. As you only usually get a 2% return, and he's not promising much, this seems like it shall be giant puddle of nothing (plus it's a phone game...:(). :eek:

Wait why does the phone game raise a red flag for everyone?

Because for a phone game you're going to be using low low quality assets and basing the user interface around touch junk and the limitations of that terrible interface. So when the game gets ported it will likely look like junk and have a terrible usability or extremely simplified gameplay designed to be played in short 5 minute bursts via 2 or 3 buttons. Also phones are incapable of doing lots of things, so you can expect anything "fancy" to be missing. :D

I have nothing against phone games and ports. It's such a whiny PC weirdo thing to complain about. It doesn't even make sense. Like games being ported to phones is stealing from PC owners or something.

Regardless Peter Molyneux has been riding on name recognition a bit too long for my tastes. Is main problem is he's specifically known for poor product management. That's not the kind of person I'd want to give money to.

This whole kickstarter thing blew up with Doublefine. The problem is DF has always been making quality games and continues to do so. They literally started DFA as a side project to film and develop an adventure game to give gamers insight into the whole process.(It's coming along amazingly btw. NDA and all but the documentary so far has been awesome to watch.) and they still asked for less than PM who really doesn't have the street cred to make this happen. Passing for now.

Peter Molyneux has spent years disappointing me with his Fable "hype". I don't buy a single word that comes out of his mouth so..

I think I'll pass on this one.

This times infinity... guy never delivers. Don't be fooled by molyneaux. :mad:

I have nothing against phone games and ports. It's such a whiny PC weirdo thing to complain about. It doesn't even make sense. Like games being ported to phones is stealing from PC owners or something.
There are two very real issues with many games that are released on phones and on PC. For one, as the phone only has touch, and not a whole keyboard, the control scheme has to be very particular and typically particularly simple in order to work on the phone. This wouldn't be an issue if devs developed separate interfaces for the PC and phone versions, but most don't.

The second issue is pricing. A lot of the time, the phone version costs 99c while the PC version can cost up to $10, and the differences between the two might only amount to a couple of avatars or something else equally trivial. Basically, PC buyers are getting cheated on a game in which the devs spent more time on the mobile version anyway.

Now, do we know either of those two considerations will be an issue for GODUS? Of course not, but when you look at the current marketplace, the trend is not our friend.

It doesn't even make sense. Like games being ported to phones is stealing from PC owners or something.

Porting a PC game to phones is one thing, but porting a phone game to the PC is completely different. And I think the initial signs with this project seem to indicate that the mobile platform will be the primary platform, and that's certainly worrisome.

And so far none of the phone to PC ports have been worthwhile. They all seem to be really lackluster.

And so far none of the phone to PC ports have been worthwhile. They all seem to be really lackluster.

Dungeon Defenders is ok...if rather reptitive and basic (it's UE3, so it started on a PC engine anyway). But thats more the exception.

Surprised nobody has discussed the "beta" of this.

The recent "beta" was released, stating that it is about 40% of the planned release (so it's really more like an alpha). Everybody's concerns about this game being lackluster because it's a phone port was... correct.

It's a massive click-fest, and (while not implemented yet), is a complete P2W scenario. This game is currently soooo slow, which I can only assume so people will spend real money buying "gems" to speed up construction. There's no sense of "awe" like there was in B&W, and it isn't visually appealing like From Dust was (though as a god game that was disappointing as well). This game seems like it would be better off as a Facebook game...

This guy sums it up nicely.
Nerd^3's YT playthrough of Godus

The only decent thing about this game is that in its current form, it's easy to cheat and modify the game to make it faster. Of course, it's still boring. And digging for chests is annoying as hell.

aweful, i love Black and White. But i don't believe we ll ever get a sequel let alone a worthy god title

Another game I'll pass then. I love these sandbox building games, but P2W is retarded in these games (to me anyway).

Back to Terraria

Another game I'll pass then. I love these sandbox building games, but P2W is retarded in these games (to me anyway).

Back to Terraria

I am waiting, not so patiently, for the 1.2 update. Then I will dive in to Terraria again with a vengeance :D.

I just want an updated populous. I would even settle for a match three style on the iPad sort of like the creative mode in TripleTown.

Surprised nobody has discussed the "beta" of this.

The recent "beta" was released, stating that it is about 40% of the planned release (so it's really more like an alpha). Everybody's concerns about this game being lackluster because it's a phone port was... correct.

It's a massive click-fest, and (while not implemented yet), is a complete P2W scenario. This game is currently soooo slow, which I can only assume so people will spend real money buying "gems" to speed up construction. There's no sense of "awe" like there was in B&W, and it isn't visually appealing like From Dust was (though as a god game that was disappointing as well). This game seems like it would be better off as a Facebook game...

This guy sums it up nicely.
Nerd^3's YT playthrough of Godus

The only decent thing about this game is that in its current form, it's easy to cheat and modify the game to make it faster. Of course, it's still boring. And digging for chests is annoying as hell.

That looks fucking horrible, it looks and plays like the metric shit ton of f2p games on mobile devices, but for $10? fucking really?

Peter Molyneux can do and screw himself, I'd rather give to charity before I buy another one of this games.

Peter Molyneux can do and screw himself, I'd rather give to charity before I buy another one of this games.

Actually, I think Godus was part of a recent Humble Bundle not too long ago, so you can do both :p

They better not bring that bullshit "in app purchase" or phone-style crap to the PC version. For years I've vocally objected to the fact that console games,in their design, philosophy, and implementations, harm players of PC games more often than not, and now it seems that phone/tablet gaming is also a pathogen. The whole "in app purchase" bullshit is an underhanded, repugnant way to design a game - especially when the game is touted as free and/or inexpensive where it is sold. There are plenty of iOS/Android games that cost $0 to $5, and yet may actually cost in excess of $30 to $100 unlock all the content! Sickening!

Though, I have to give credit for those who go the other direction. For instance, there's a recently released game on Steam called Kingdom Rush. It is an enhanced port (new features and content) of the iOS/Android tower defense of the same name. It costs $8 on PC. Some people were upset about pricing because the mobile version was free or $0.99... but it had a ton of in-app purchases to unlock all the special towers and heroes, that would cost around $40 to get all of them! The $8 PC version however, included all this content! I bought the game to reward the devs for moving to a more ethical price point and style. Hopefully they'll see, like many others have, that Steam is a great place to sell your content to PC gamers if you do it respectfully.

I guess I'll wait to see what happens with Godus. Oh, if you want a "god game" that is more finished and really quite enjoyable (and not a moneysink) check out "Reus". Its on Steam and it was part of a Humble bundle.

I didn't think the modern gaming industry had the talent anymore to go back to something like Bull Frog's Glory days. Magic Carpet and Theme Park are in a league of their own... Perhaps a new Hi-Octane... :D

Back